Groups
    EXPIRED

Anyone experienced claiming compensation for finding an object in a snack ordered online?

Where do I start, my molars are still in pain one week on, found an unidentified object. Ideally I would like to seek compensation for any dental work, I haven't been yet.

Company asking me to send it to them but I don't want to lose it, once in their hands they can say whatever they like such as it was just a lump of sugar.

It looks like a fragment of an animals tooth. Any recommendation of follow up action/solicitor/companies appreciated.

20 Comments

similar happened to me...you will be lucky to get a fiver voucher.

are you sure it wasn't your tooth

Similar happened to me a while ago. Found a small object in some bread, their company's investigation found it was a small plastic clip from one of their machines. They gave a £15 voucher which is better than nothing!

Take pictures of it.

Yes, this is very common; Opened a tin of Plum Tomatoes from Lidl, Full of Maggots.
    Never heard a thing after taking back to shop.
    Edited by: "georgeshoose" 15th Dec 2014

As you said dental work will assume damaged / broken tooth as you can't exactly bruise a tooth.
    This is the daft bit
    It's not a bit of your tooth is it you have found ?

georgeshoose

Yes, this is very common.

very common...... I don't think so.

Take it to your local environmental health service, they will get it analysed.

Edit - what was the snack?
    Edited by: "moob" 15th Dec 2014

It wasn't in a packet of M&M's was it!! I found something similar that resembled an animals tooth and it turned out to be a block of the sugar coating they used! Looked EXACTLY like a tooth tho!!

Banned

Comment

moob

Take it to your local environmental health service, they will get it … Take it to your local environmental health service, they will get it analysed. Edit - what was the snack?

This is your best bet.

A start would be actually getting to a dentist and the damage assessed. You can't really claim if you don't know what's wrong.

Get your local paper involved. They will send a photographer who will ask you to hold the snack and look sad while he/she takes a picture. They will ask you for a quote and you will say 'i's not about the money, I just don't want it to happen to anybody else'.
    Anyone who reads the paper will think 'they're just after compensation'.

Op is after some free dental work seems a bit far fetched to me.

I bit into a small pebble from a bag of mccain potatoes wedges just moaned about it said i was going to claim then done the right thing and tossed it out the window lifes to short.

what do you expect the company to do if you wont send it back?

and solicitors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY?

Come on man. What is it with this compensation culture? The company made a mistake. Tell them. Get a voucher as a goodwill gesture and move on!!

Original Poster

It's not M&M, it's not my tooth either - initially I thought it was though, it looked like a molar sliced perfectly. It's a company that deals with health food - like holland and barratts but they have no physical stores - this object was in the dried banana snack. I don't want to put company in disrepute - they've been kind so far.

I agree there is a compensation culture going on - but bear in mind I've paid for the product, recommended their product so contributed to their profit - of course mistakes do happen and part of the risk of operating a business is to deal with it. (As oppose to your friend accidentally punches you in the face and knocks your jaws out - this is an individual, a mistake you can't claim, move on)

The thing that bugs me is I've kept my teeth spick and span, not a single filler, no dental work ever, never had braces - ever since I've been ineleigible for free NHS dental I never bothered going for check up or anything for the last 10 years.

Kinda sad this banana thing to be the demise of my wonder teeth

P.s just caught a bearded flamedeer as edited some spelling haha, two more and this rant will be worthwhile!! Woohoo
    Edited by: "huusshh" 16th Dec 2014

You're not willing to name them for fear of damaging their reputation.....really? Ha.

huusshh

It's not M&M, it's not my tooth either - initially I thought it was … It's not M&M, it's not my tooth either - initially I thought it was though, it looked like a molar sliced perfectly. It's a company that deals with health food - like holland and barratts but they have no physical stores - this object was in the dried banana snack. I don't want to put company in disrepute - they've been kind so far. I agree there is a compensation culture going on - but bear in mind I've paid for the product, recommended their product so contributed to their profit - of course mistakes do happen and part of the risk of operating a business is to deal with it. (As oppose to your friend accidentally punches you in the face and knocks your jaws out - this is an individual, a mistake you can't claim, move on)The thing that bugs me is I've kept my teeth spick and span, not a single filler, no dental work ever, never had braces - ever since I've been ineleigible for free NHS dental I never bothered going for check up or anything for the last 10 years. Kinda sad this banana thing to be the demise of my wonder teeth :|P.s just caught a bearded flamedeer as edited some spelling haha, two more and this rant will be worthwhile!! Woohoo

It may well have been a dried piece of fruit, but you will never know unless you have it looked at by a professional.

I work in EH and we deal with physical contamination complaints all the time.

The first thing to do is submit to the EH Department who will take it to a lab and have them examine it to determine what it is exactly.
    Edited by: "moob" 16th Dec 2014

This is exactly what's wrong with the world at the moment. Compensation culture.
    If I were you, I'd just eat slower, that way you won't damage your teeth.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Advice on Gas Boiler Cover, British Gas putting price up!66
      2. Why is buying a laptop such a nightmare55
      3. Family Spotify account65
      4. Has anyone seen a cereal dispenser in shops?56

See more discussions