Groups

Anyone good at biology here and can help me :) ?

Can anybody give me a simpleish answer to this question?
    When catalse is mixed with hydrogen peroxide, oxygen is released rapidly but after a few minutes the rate of reaction slows down. Why is this?

Thanks
    Jack

13 Comments

Catalysts speed up reactions so therefore the reaction will be completed quicker, and all the products released. ???

Banned

From what i remember its because there is less to react as a lot of oxygen has already been released, therefore there are less collisions and the rate slows down

]See here

I know it's been a fair few years since I was at school but isn't this chemistry not biology.

Edit: apologies this does seem to be classed as biology because of the biological elements involved, should have paid more attention at school shouldn't I?

Original Poster

Yeah it seems that way to me but it definately biology
    Thanks everyone

Original Poster

Heres another one
    Why is ethanol used to treat someone who swallows car radiator antifreeze?
    Repped everyone btw

Ooooooh I feel really brainy now.

This product contains ethylene glycol. Ethanol decreases the
    metabolism of ethylene glycol to toxic metabolites. Ethanol
    should be administered as soon as possible in cases of severe
    poisoning since the elimination half-life of ethylene glycol is 3
    hours. If medical care will be delayed several hours, give the
    patient three to four 1-ounce oral "shots" of 86-proof or higher
    whiskey before or during transport to the hospital. Hemodialysis
    effectively removes ethylene glycol and its metabolites from the
    body.

By the way I copied and pasted that, I ain't that bright.

Ethanol also competes with ethylene glycol as a substrate for alcohol dehydrogenase, however it does have several unfavorable side effects, which include CNS depression, hyperosmolality, and metabolic acidosis

This basically means the ethanol is metabolised by the body INSTEAD of the EGlycol present in the antifreeze (EG is far more toxic than ethanol)

Original Poster

cheers mate!

Yes, as the substrate ( hydrogen peroxide) is broken down to the products( oxygen and water) the rate of reaction slows because the number of substrate molecules decreases and thus the number of collisions with the enzyme catalase decreases.

Looks like we're doing your homework!!
    Ethylene glycol is dangerous because it is broken down to molecules like oxalate by a pathway starting with the enzyme alcohol dehydrogenase. Alcohol is a competitive inhibitor obviously for that enzyme so will reduce or stop the breakdown of the antifreeze, which is excreted from the body in the urine. (In hospital the blood is dialysed for a patient)

chesso;3280366

Looks like we're doing your hoework!!

Not against that:p

hoework as in in hoeing the garden, or pimping out some hoe's? :whistling:

In with the edit before your reply!!:whistling:

Banned

google it!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047169
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767407
      3. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1528
      4. Free Codes from EGX22

See more discussions