Anyone good at fixing elec items? Bit of basic advice needed

Our portable keyboard (musical variety) stopped working about a month after buying it. Thought it was the power supply problem, but when a replacement PSU didn't work was sent a new keyboard.

2 months later they still hadn't collected the old one, and when I reminded them, they asked if I was willing to dispose of it myself. "Well ...erm ... yes, ok!"

So going to try and fix it myself. Are there any obvious things I should be looking for? All I can think of are loose connections / wires and some kind of internal fuse. No real experience tinkering with anything other than computers, so any advice appreciated. Thanks.

4 Comments

Smell the board, trust me, may sound stupid but if u smell that burnt pcb smell u know summats gon wrong. and yeh, just look for the obvious, loose wires, jumps across tracks ect ect. other than that it could just be that one of the components has gone and its knackered

Original Poster

dean3988;4379358

Smell the board, trust me, may sound stupid but if u smell that burnt pcb … Smell the board, trust me, may sound stupid but if u smell that burnt pcb smell u know summats gon wrong. and yeh, just look for the obvious, loose wires, jumps across tracks ect ect. other than that it could just be that one of the components has gone and its knackered

Thanks - I never would have thought of using my nose! :lol: :thumbsup:

Banned

fuse in the plug?

wire connecting the on/off switch may have come loose

Original Poster

csiman;4379970

fuse in the plug?wire connecting the on/off switch may have come loose

no plug, a transformer - and tried a new one with it. Yes, I'm also guessing it might something at the on/off switch or at the connector where the power supply is plugged in.

Thanks for the thoughts :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763980
    2. Any PS4 News Here29213595
    3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846087
    4. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941301

See more discussions