Anyone good at IFTTT or Google Home? need to turn on and off when asked

Posted 20th Oct
Basically I have a NUC with my film library on, the PC has schedules to turn off at night so I only have to deal with a way to auto turn on.

Currently I have a smart plug plugged in EWELINK or eufy have both, and the BIOS of the pc says to turn on if loses power so what I can do is set the plug to turn off and then 1 minute later turn on, this turns the pc on.

I would like to be able to ask google ''turn on plex'' but would need to to turn it off then on.

how would I go about doing this?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

9 Comments
Have you thought about "wake on lan"
esar20/10/2019 16:52

Have you thought about "wake on lan"

Looks quite complicated to setup controlling wake on lan when not in the lan

smart plug ended easier and works from power off instead of sleep

Even if wake on lan was setup, then what would be way to tell google to turn it on, IFFTT?
If windows update can turn on a pc to do it's updates, you should be able to too
esar20/10/2019 17:47

If windows update can turn on a pc to do it's updates, you should be able …If windows update can turn on a pc to do it's updates, you should be able to too

You can but how to get that from doing via a app that does wol and getting a smart assistant to do it?

Anyways I came up with a solution,

I always set schedule tasks on the computer to shutdown at certain times, so I have set for the plug itself to switch off after 5 mins afger it was schedule to shutdown 11.30 weekdays, 2.30am weekend, that way all I have to worry about is asking the assistant with switching on the plug..

the problem I was having was google does not allow a pause bewteen routines ie, turn plug off wait 10 seconds for the plug to properly turn off then turn on plug.
I dont use Google I use Alexa but with Alexa you can create a group called 'Plex', put the plug in the group, and it will do what you want, I suspect you could do that with Google.

As for turning on, IFTTT and Tasker and use Wake Up On Lan

Without WAKE ON LAN, I cannot see a way of turning on your PC simply by introcuing power to it.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 21st Oct
MrSprkle21/10/2019 13:48

I dont use Google I use Alexa but with Alexa you can create a group called …I dont use Google I use Alexa but with Alexa you can create a group called 'Plex', put the plug in the group, and it will do what you want, I suspect you could do that with Google.As for turning on, IFTTT and Tasker and use Wake Up On LanWithout WAKE ON LAN, I cannot see a way of turning on your PC simply by introcuing power to it.

Bios setting that says 'wake up from power loss'

This feature is intended for places that eelctric goes out and you can get it to turn on when reconnects,

I set the task scheduler to shutdown at let's say 12pm and at 12.02 I set the smart plug to turn off

Then when I want to turn on Plex I say turn on Plex, this will switch the pc on because it lose connection when it turned of plug

seems slightly risky if there is some reason the PC does not shut down on schedule, maybe a security update, maintenance task or something could potentially cause file system corruption.

guessing you aren't using the PC as a PVR as well.
maddogb22/10/2019 09:52

seems slightly risky if there is some reason the PC does not shut down on …seems slightly risky if there is some reason the PC does not shut down on schedule, maybe a security update, maintenance task or something could potentially cause file system corruption.guessing you aren't using the PC as a PVR as well.

Hello,

The operating system only hosts Plex, all the files are on separate drive with movie library on, so if it corrupts it only corrupts 120gb m2 sssd, and again SSD are less prone then hardrives

But yes it is but risky but can't figure out a better way of doing it, maybe running Linux might be more reliable to shutdown every time,

Over a year now many times is it goingntonfail? If it's only a few then I'm fine with that

Will check the logs and see how well it's down over last 3 months
Gumbon22/10/2019 09:58

Hello, The operating system only hosts Plex, all the files are on separate …Hello, The operating system only hosts Plex, all the files are on separate drive with movie library on, so if it corrupts it only corrupts 120gb m2 sssd, and again SSD are less prone then hardrivesBut yes it is but risky but can't figure out a better way of doing it, maybe running Linux might be more reliable to shutdown every time, Over a year now many times is it goingntonfail? If it's only a few then I'm fine with that Will check the logs and see how well it's down over last 3 months

as you say not a huge risk and if you keep a disk image using something like macrium will only take a few mins to recover although your logs may only note the dirty shutdown after restart.
I would of thought the windows schedule to shut down would be more friendly to the shut down scenario so maybe just move the plug timing to several hours later.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants