Expired

Anyone good with computers?

Found 27th May
I did a fresh install of windows 10 on a new ssd drive. Everything was working fine until I read that I should change in bios raid to ahci. I did this and got a in inaccessible error.

Now my computer won't boot. The keyboard and mouse aren't even powered. So I have no way of booting to fix my mistake.

I've tried removing the ssd drive and just use the hdd and also tried to boot from the windows install usb but nothing works. Any ideas?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
The manual for your motherboard will show you how to reset bios back to default (usually you have to touch a couple of pins with a non-magnetic screwdriver). If you can't find how to do that. Remove the cmos battery for a few minutes and then replace it, then switch back on. It should reset to default values.

Example cmos battery:

33868879-sbDyL.jpg
Edited by: "delusion" 27th May
Changing to and I should not make the whole pc unresponsive. You must still have some power to boot into bios, if not maybe a power supply fault
Also try power down, remove Ram board, power back up without Ram, power down, re fit Ram and another Power on

also depending how old the PC is, the default Bios may not see a USB before HD it may be expecting a CD Drive.

When you do get it going again its not the end of the world to have your SSD not running with ahci
Edited by: "zirk" 27th May
if you let it try and start about 5 times, does it then bring up the menu where you can start it in safe mode? sometimes if you swap it from raid to ahci you have to boot to safe mode after the change, then you can start it normally.
Press the relevant key to enter the bios.

It’s worth checking all the power connectors internally and making sure only the keyboard and mouse is plugged in make sure nothing else is plugged into the USB ports.
delusion1 h, 25 m ago

The manual for your motherboard will show you how to reset bios back to …The manual for your motherboard will show you how to reset bios back to default (usually you have to touch a couple of pins with a non-magnetic screwdriver). If you can't find how to do that. Remove the cmos battery for a few minutes and then replace it, then switch back on. It should reset to default values.Example cmos battery:[Image]

Remove power supply first. Remove battery. There is usually a 'jumper plug' (a plastic plug that fits on two of three pins) you pull that off, and place it back on the other two pins. It will only be on two pins. Put the battery back. Then remove the battery again. Put the plug back. Replace battery. Next time you start you should have reset the bios to default.
When you installed the OS how many drives did you have plugged in ?
So when you connect the SSD it does the boot loop?

Have you got another PC you can try the SSD in?
Can you try a different SATA port and power connector?

I dont think your BIOS was reset fully. If you leave the SSD unplugged and go into the Bios and Load the setup/Failsafe defaults then it should do the same effect.
I would try to get it changed to IDE. OK its not the fastest protocol (AHCI is faster) but its the most robust.

If you're really struggling unplug any other components such as other USB devices and optical drives. Even revert to on-board graphics and use just one module of memory (basically to try and reduce the load on the motherboard and PSU and eliminatte possible device failures.)
You need both drives in the machine to boot if it has installed the MBR on the wrong drive.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants