Groups

Anyone good with physics - frequency, velocity, wavelength?

Hi all.

I have a question as part of my coursework but I can't make sense of it, can anyone please help?

Adam is sitting on the end of a pier at the seaside. He watches the waves passing the end of the pier. The pier is 20m long. He counts 15 waves passing the pier.
    (i) Wavelength:
    (ii) It takes one minute for the waves to pass.
    Frequency:

I need to find the frequency and the wavelength but I am lost.

I know the formula is velocity = frequency x wavelength

7 Comments

so the wavelength would be the velocity divided by the frequency?

quick google search-answers.yahoo.com/que…Q9q

i) Length of 15 waves = 20 m
    Therefore wavelength = length of one wave = 20/15 m = 1.33 m

ii) Time taken by 15 waves = 1 min = 60 sec
    Therefore, time period T = time taken by one wave = 60/15 sec = 4 sec
    Frequency = 1/T = 1/4 Hz = 0.25 Hz

Ans: (1)1.33 m (b)0.25 Hz

* 1 year ago

Original Poster

Guyver;6746012

quick google … quick google search-http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081020041706AA0jQ9qi) Length of 15 waves = 20 mTherefore wavelength = length of one wave = 20/15 m = 1.33 mii) Time taken by 15 waves = 1 min = 60 secTherefore, time period T = time taken by one wave = 60/15 sec = 4 secFrequency = 1/T = 1/4 Hz = 0.25 HzAns: (1)1.33 m (b)0.25 Hz * 1 year ago

Aah, you found that online? :w00t:
    Thanks very much, I had the second one but can't see that I was being dopey with the first :-D

Thanks to COM as well

yep its defo E=MC2

Mrs.Z;6746030

Aah, you found that online? :w00t:Thanks very much, I had the second one … Aah, you found that online? :w00t:Thanks very much, I had the second one but can't see that I was being dopey with the first :-DThanks to COM as well

Your welcome

Mrs.Z;6746030

Aah, you found that online? :w00t:Thanks very much, I had the second one … Aah, you found that online? :w00t:Thanks very much, I had the second one but can't see that I was being dopey with the first :-DThanks to COM as well

you're welcome hun xx woulda taken me longer to get my head entirely round it xxx
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Limited Edition Gran Turismo Sport PlayStation 4 console revealed22
      2. Your dream gaming set up?1124
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …161391
      4. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1323

See more discussions