Found 7th Dec 2016
There are some awful drivers out there...that's a fact. I have had many near misses from people not paying attention, breaking the highway code and often the law. The worrying part is that if they crash into me and there are no witnesses, it could be my word against theirs. I want some proof of innocence (when it isn't my fault!!) I have looked at a few, but want some real world feedback on these things. Anyone have one or seen one in action?

31 Comments

My name is oculus!

Wouldn't be without mine after being the victim of a hit and run. Too many bad drivers on the road and insurance companies who can't be bothered to do a proper investigation and settle for 50/50.

Ones I use are Möbius actioncam .

I've managed nearly 40 years of accident free driving by always paying heed to my Dads advice (when he taught me to drive all that time ago ) . Treat everyone else on the road as an idiot was his advice and its done me fine for many thousands of miles . Maybe your thoughts are "I'm probably slightly less of an idiot than the other driver " or I'm a better driver . If you have that many close shaves I suggest you should look at your own driving . Slow down a bit ,don't get too close to the car in front , don't do risky overtaking and follow my Dads advice " Treat everyone else on the road as an idiot " . Then you will find you will have many years of stress and accident free motoring . Enjoy

Legal requirement in Russia I think.

Original Poster

Mobius actioncam.....is this a dedicated dashcam or a multi purpose camera? Can it be wired into a car? Does it start with ignition? Store data in the case of a shunt? I know nothing about this one...sorry!

Nextbase 'seem' to be the market leader. They even do a duo in one unit for front and back.

I lease a car, don't want wires trailing and don't want to pull the car to pieces to hide wires.

Are there any ootions such as a decent rechargeable??

Friend of mine was a victim of one of those crash for cash scammers last week . Seriously considering getting one too

118luke

Ones I use are Möbius actioncam .

Wow, a cam that supports x265!

I recently switched to a car mounted GoPro clone, seems pretty good, although the picture isnt quite as clear as my last dedicated dashcam, however in a year of use, it hasnt locked up!! Unlike several of the other cheaper alternatives.

I have clocked a few crashes and some very stupid driving - and one near multiple fatality crash - he managed to stop about a foot from a gaggle of mums with pushchairs and prams outside an infant school, but only by ramming the o/s of his car into the n/s of the car he had been racing.
Gave the footage to the rozzers, who gave him "words of advice" about racing another car in a 30mph zone.
Why do I bother...

rogparki

I've managed nearly 40 years of accident free driving by always paying … I've managed nearly 40 years of accident free driving by always paying heed to my Dads advice (when he taught me to drive all that time ago ) . Treat everyone else on the road as an idiot was his advice and its done me fine for many thousands of miles . Maybe your thoughts are "I'm probably slightly less of an idiot than the other driver " or I'm a better driver . If you have that many close shaves I suggest you should look at your own driving . Slow down a bit ,don't get too close to the car in front , don't do risky overtaking and follow my Dads advice " Treat everyone else on the road as an idiot " . Then you will find you will have many years of stress and accident free motoring . Enjoy

All good, old timer, until you're caught in a crash for cash scenario.

I got one from Argos Transcent or something its called, its 1080p but not in my eyes, its not super clear on reg platers, you can see them but there a struggle. Night time you can't make reg plates out. But maybe there all like that, just me being picky.

I only got one as I've had many idiots nearly wipe me out. My last car Range Rover Sport you wouldn't believe the amount of people who pulled out on me! Making me slam the brakes on and lip read them saying "Sorry I didn't see you!" Really?

There's loads on the market, EuroCarParts always have them on offer.

Original Poster

rogparki

I've managed nearly 40 years of accident free driving by always paying … I've managed nearly 40 years of accident free driving by always paying heed to my Dads advice (when he taught me to drive all that time ago ) . Treat everyone else on the road as an idiot was his advice and its done me fine for many thousands of miles . Maybe your thoughts are "I'm probably slightly less of an idiot than the other driver " or I'm a better driver . If you have that many close shaves I suggest you should look at your own driving . Slow down a bit ,don't get too close to the car in front , don't do risky overtaking and follow my Dads advice " Treat everyone else on the road as an idiot " . Then you will find you will have many years of stress and accident free motoring . Enjoy

I passed my driving test 25 years ago. Drive every day. Never had a single accident (thankfully). No points etc. Would class myself as a law abiding roaduser....However, more and more I find that I'm being cut across by people in a 'hurry'. Poor driving manners, speeders, non-indicators etc. It only takes one lapse from me for the worst to happen. You can take your dad's advice and hopefully you'll never be in a position to have to defend your driving or similar, but surely it's better to have an independent view on things.....a dashcam!!!

caoimhin58

Mobius actioncam.....is this a dedicated dashcam or a multi purpose … Mobius actioncam.....is this a dedicated dashcam or a multi purpose camera? Can it be wired into a car? Does it start with ignition? Store data in the case of a shunt? I know nothing about this one...sorry!

As the name says, it is supposed to be an action camera but it has an option to enable it as a dash cam

Lots and lots of info about it here

Don't fall into the trap of the next base cameras. I paid for a 512g and to say it's overpriced tat is an understatement. It freezes regularly and the battery has failed after about 8 months use. My möbius cameras are far better.

rogparki

You should never assume the worst won't happen... all it takes is a hit and run (I learned the hard way)

Original Poster

118luke

As the name says, it is supposed to be an action camera but it has an … As the name says, it is supposed to be an action camera but it has an option to enable it as a dash camLots and lots of info about it hereDon't fall into the trap of the next base cameras. I paid for a 512g and to say it's overpriced tat is an understatement. It freezes regularly and the battery has failed after about 8 months use. My möbius cameras are far better.

Brilliant!! I'm a bit of a techtube, so if I go for this I'll need to get someone to setup and install it. I think I'll be on those help pages so much I won't have the time to go driving!!!

Check out techmoan.com/ for the dashcam reviews.

get one with full hd resolution or you not gonna be able to read the plates..

I have a Transcend DrivePro200 and think it's brilliant, it's already saved a work colleagues job, proved my innocence in a my word against his word incident.

Super clear day or night. Brilliant wifi enabled app that links seamlessly to my iPhone.

Can't recommend this camera enough and if it helps I drive hgvs for a living, so I use my camera for at least 50 hours a week and it's worked faultlessly.

Don't folk usually recommend the G1W as a budget option?

(I'm looking too)

Huraqan

I have a Transcend DrivePro200 and think it's brilliant, it's already … I have a Transcend DrivePro200 and think it's brilliant, it's already saved a work colleagues job, proved my innocence in a my word against his word incident. Super clear day or night. Brilliant wifi enabled app that links seamlessly to my iPhone. Can't recommend this camera enough and if it helps I drive hgvs for a living, so I use my camera for at least 50 hours a week and it's worked faultlessly.

I have the Transcend as well and fully endorse your comments. The play back quality is superb and it has an emergency record function even when the ignition is off. Recently, after an incident, the camera footage saved me from being blamed for an accident and the police said it was the clearest video they had ever seen.

lanc1979

Don't folk usually recommend the G1W as a budget option?(I'm looking too)

yep the G1W is technoman on youtube recommendation for budget dashcam

THe current dashcam in Aldi is a clear G1W clone and comes with a 32gb card - I have one at the moment and teh video quality is pretty good

EliTom

I got mine off my dad, he bought it off ebay for £16 brand new from a seller. It's only small and has about a 2 inch screen, films in colour, night time and microphone built in. It's amazing quality for the price, he has the same one and i wouldn't be without it. I've had several near misses thanks to people pulling out on me on a roundabout! (We have loads of roundabouts where i live and it's surprising how little people know about the highway code for roundabouts!!) My car is only just 2 yrs old and i've had it for 9 months, wouldn't drive unless my dash cam is plugged in, just make sure you buy a large spaced memory card

for the well reviewed dashcams - anyone tried both the Transcend DrivePro200 and the Nextbase 402g?

for video quality what are your views?

EliTom

nextbase 101 I got one for back and one for front. entry level for nextbase but does what I need and very clear on playback...also looks on YouTube ( yes I shame ppl lol ) best £49 I've spent on each camera. plug and play it's so simple. evidence there if / when needed

lot of reviews mention battery failure on Next base models - anyone experienced a nice long service from theirs?

also having GPS built in appears to be a double edged sword .. because it records your speed within the file by GPS coordinates- even if you have the speed stamp turned off on the the video display.

Therefore if you do supply any data / files to the police they can also see your speed - so for example you provide evidence of a dangerous driver or an accident that you witnessed they also have up to 2 hours of previous driving records !!

So yes if you are a perfect driver then no worries - but it could be also a quick win for the treasury !! ... "sorry sir the evidence you provided was not enough to prosecute the nutter driver you reported, but here is your fixed penalty ticket for your speeding offence"

EliTom

Huraqan

I have a Transcend DrivePro200 and think it's brilliant, it's already … I have a Transcend DrivePro200 and think it's brilliant, it's already saved a work colleagues job, proved my innocence in a my word against his word incident. Super clear day or night. Brilliant wifi enabled app that links seamlessly to my iPhone. Can't recommend this camera enough and if it helps I drive hgvs for a living, so I use my camera for at least 50 hours a week and it's worked faultlessly.

looked at the Transcend DP200 as the video quality is reported to be very good, but it is rather BIG - not very discrete! maybe a target for thieves?

EliTom

elitom

looked at the Transcend DP200 as the video quality is reported to be very … looked at the Transcend DP200 as the video quality is reported to be very good, but it is rather BIG - not very discrete! maybe a target for thieves?EliTom

I don't think that it's that big at all. I always remove mine when I leave the car unattended, takes all of about 2 seconds. I use the rubber suction mount and have a 5 metre mini usb lead permanently in the car though, tucked behind the trim, door rubber, through the glove box and left in situ plugged into a cigarette socket. I use a different lead and plug in socket for when I'm in my truck, I just keep the rubber suction mount and camera together.

For unbiased reviews look on YouTube for a guy called Techmoan, he reviews all dash cams and helped me decide which was best for me.

Hope this helps.

Original Poster

Guys you have been brilliant. I'm gonna take a look at the Transcend DrivePro200 and the action cam, they sound like the best bet. Thanks

I bought the dash cam below and it's really good. It has gps but I am still not sure whether that's a good thing or not.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…h=1
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Android pay set up610
    2. Best 4k tv's for gaming11
    3. Christmas presents510
    4. Mobile phone advice33

See more discussions