Groups

Anyone got a Dell Inspiron 530s

Hi

Just bought one of these from the dell outlet. but need to know what ports are on the back.

I need a rs232 port (null modem port)

Anyone know if the 530s has one.

Can someone take a picture of the back of theirs?

7 Comments

im sure no new pc's come with modem ports, my dell vostro doesn't ........ you would need to buy a pci or usb modem port

someone may prove me wrong

it's called a serial or com port, many pcs do actually come with at least one but there are a few that don't
    a pci one may do, depends on the software you are using for it

had a quick look at dells site but no mention and there are a few models of the inspiron 530 so no help there, if u can have a look at one its a 9pin d shaped plug.

its not a null modem port. its just a com port. the null modem part is just a cable.

if it doesn't come with one it will probably have the header for it or failing that you can simply use a usb to serial adaptor

Original Poster

wolf359;3265039

its not a null modem port. its just a com port. the null modem part is … its not a null modem port. its just a com port. the null modem part is just a cable.if it doesn't come with one it will probably have the header for it or failing that you can simply use a usb to serial adaptor

I actually bought a usb to serial cable. But it didnt seem to work. It might be because i used it on a mac. May need to buy another one and try

what exactly are you trying to do with a null modem? they're usually used to directly connect 2 pieces of equipment. you may find that you can do the same via usb in any case.

according to the wiki it uses this motherboard

foxconnchannel.com/pro…319

and comes with a serial port on the back panel

hth

rmp4;3265128

I actually bought a usb to serial cable. But it didnt seem to work. It … I actually bought a usb to serial cable. But it didnt seem to work. It might be because i used it on a mac. May need to buy another one and try

Probably because it was USB, if your dell doesn't have a serial port you can get a PCI card that provides serial ports which is probably your best bet.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ditched Sky1722
      2. Could someone send me a usc code with unidays11
      3. Beer experts help required!45
      4. Unexpected house guest query (Ratatouille)1216

See more discussions