Anyone got a Ford Focus ( ST170 ) ??

Found 13th Oct 2012
Hi guys, focus ST170 2003 reg 04/2003 96k miles
firstly I know (but haven't used him before) a guy in Montrose that works from a garage or mobile and charges £20 hr Labour which is pretty good

The work I'm needing carried out is my clutch which is slipping (now and again so may have a bit if time) and also want to return the car to normal height springs

He has quoted me this for doing the flywheel and clutch

Complete 3 piece kit is £360 plus vat
Solid Flywheel is £160 plus vat
These are on exchange basis, fitting with new fluids (gear oil, clutch) is £190.

I have no idea what manufacture parts he is using though!

As my car was registered 04/2003 I've been looking on Ebay at anything pre-June 2003 models for parts especially LUK but they don't do Solid Flywheels

The other Garage (who I know the guy and used loads very trusting) charges £36 an hour Labour

If I buy the parts I can quite easily get him to fit them, don't quote me but I think he said it would take 4-5hrs

I've also been thinking of getting rid of the lowered yellow (could be Spax) springs and returning the car back to normal for more comfort as its a family car now.

Can anyone please help in guidance/ previous experience to kits which are available to buy at a brilliant price possibly on Ebay (if there know like LUK)

Should I fit a Solid or Dual again? Is there much difference?

Probably keeping the car for 1 more year and that's it lol
Community Updates
MiscFordGame of Thrones
7 Comments
I had to replace my DMF last year in my 1.8 TDCi. I sourced the parts and all in it cost about £600 inc labour so to be honest your boy seems quite reasonable. I was using a garage that charged £35ph.

Going for a solid flywheel will save you cash and in some eyes may be a selling point. However I think it can add some jerkiness to the drivetrain so it's up to you. It should last you the year easy. I have hear of them needing redone in a short period of time though.

Pretty sure it LUK parts I got and Europarts were pretty much the cheapest. Pop onto FFOC.co.uk and have a look there. Can't remember if you pay to join though.
Why not just sell it now? You probably will get more for it in the current state now than in a year with depreciation after all the above that you want to have done being completed.
Edited by: "Astec123" 13th Oct 2012
I would stick with DMF regardless of what else you do.
Oneday77

I had to replace my DMF last year in my 1.8 TDCi. I sourced the parts and … I had to replace my DMF last year in my 1.8 TDCi. I sourced the parts and all in it cost about £600 inc labour so to be honest your boy seems quite reasonable. I was using a garage that charged £35ph.Going for a solid flywheel will save you cash and in some eyes may be a selling point. However I think it can add some jerkiness to the drivetrain so it's up to you. It should last you the year easy. I have hear of them needing redone in a short period of time though.Pretty sure it LUK parts I got and Europarts were pretty much the cheapest. Pop onto FFOC.co.uk and have a look there. Can't remember if you pay to join though.

So your saying that the DMF will last a year?

I'm already a member of FFOC and Passionford

I've used Eurocarparts before and can be hit or miss delivery wise, but they are good! Especially some of the discounts

Were only going to keep the car for just over another year so I'm thinking thr DMF might be the route
saxo_appeal

So your saying that the DMF will last a year? I'm already a member of … So your saying that the DMF will last a year? I'm already a member of FFOC and Passionford I've used Eurocarparts before and can be hit or miss delivery wise, but they are good! Especially some of the discountsWere only going to keep the car for just over another year so I'm thinking thr DMF might be the route

I meant if you went solid the possible reduction in drive-ability would last you the year. Many people have converted and been happy with it but here must be a reason why DMF's are becoming common in newer cars.
Cool

So DMF then

Trying to find a kit, LUK is the one I'm going to go for

Sure I saw one on EBay for £475
Ok an update on this and help on this matter if possible

Mobile Garage man went to my other halfs work in Montrose and rev'd the pants off the car while sitting idle

She drove home and now the car is revving in 2nd,3rd and 4th

Called the mechanic up and he said 'I thought it would do that'

he also stated that he'd taken about a weeks clutch off while revving it .... is this really normal to do ??

Also now when you first lock the car it locks but when you press it for a second time none of the indicators flash ??

They flash when indicating normally and when the hazards are on but not when you lock the car ??
has he burnt anything out do you think?

So going to call up an Ebay supplier of LUK parts and buy the 3 piece clutch kit, the mechanic assures me that there has to be a solid flywheel in there because it's already done 96k miles
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants