Expired

Anyone got any advice on healthier alternatives to Red Bull type drinks?

Found 4th May 2014
I'm not a morning person at all, I'd happily stay in bed until 10ish. However I have to get up early for work - usually about 6.30. With my job I have to be alert and energetic by about 9am - yet naturally I find it hard to be. A can of energy drink in the morning seems to kick start me and keeps me going until I've woken up properly! I just feel it isn't really healthy. I've tried drinking more water etc but it doesn't do anything to wake me up.

I don't drink tea or coffee - don't like either.

Does any one have the same issue?

37 Comments

I read somewhere that an apple works as well as a caffeine drink to wake you up, something to do with the sugar in apples.

Water

Don't just think of energy drinks to make you lively, look at your food diet too as what you eat the day before can have an effect of your energy levels along with a good amount of sleep the night before

Original Poster

Hker

I read somewhere that an apple works as well as a caffeine drink to wake … I read somewhere that an apple works as well as a caffeine drink to wake you up, something to do with the sugar in apples.

I don't think it is the sugar - if I try a sugary drink only then it has no effect so I presume it is the caffeine or one of the other chemicals in there!

Original Poster

kirstyjane72

Water

As posted above - I've tried water and I drink a lot of water for the rest of the day but on it's own first thing it won't give me a pick me up!

Banned

Pussy natural caffeine drinks. 49p on sale at Home Bargains. normally between £1-£2

Original Poster

simplyjimbo

Don't just think of energy drinks to make you lively, look at your food … Don't just think of energy drinks to make you lively, look at your food diet too as what you eat the day before can have an effect of your energy levels along with a good amount of sleep the night before

I think my diet is OK, I'm fairly active I'm with the healthy weight/bmi thing on the NHS chart etc. It seems to be every day no matter what my meal was the night before.

I get about 7 hours of sleep a night, tends to be a deep sleep. I fall asleep fast, nothing disturbs me I don't hear the kids etc, the next thing I know the alarm is going off, I don't ever recall any dreams. I have tried longer sleep but it doesn't seem to make any difference in fact a lot of the time it leaves me feeling more tired.

Pro plus or Power kick tablets from asda or home bargains keep me awake when im on nights.
They contain large amounts of caffeine just like Red bull does but no sugar unlike redbull.

nbuuifx

I think my diet is OK, I'm fairly active I'm with the healthy weight/bmi … I think my diet is OK, I'm fairly active I'm with the healthy weight/bmi thing on the NHS chart etc. It seems to be every day no matter what my meal was the night before.I get about 7 hours of sleep a night, tends to be a deep sleep. I fall asleep fast, nothing disturbs me I don't hear the kids etc, the next thing I know the alarm is going off, I don't ever recall any dreams. I have tried longer sleep but it doesn't seem to make any difference in fact a lot of the time it leaves me feeling more tired.

we all think our diets are OK even I do at times and I eat clean. Having a 3rd party look at your typical food consumption / diet does help tweak it where necessary.

I tend not to rely on caffeine or any other supplements on a too regular basis as you benefit less from them over time but DiscountSupplements.co.uk do some caffeine tablets for £5 ish and they seem to have a kick to them providing you don't use them too often or consume a lot of caffeine elsewhere. They beat Pro plus and most of the supermarket types.

Original Poster

Thanks, I don't have caffeine anywhere else on a daily basis, I occasionally have a drink of cola, but don't notice any effect from cola.

I don't really like the idea of tablets, I think that is just because they are tablets! But as has been pointed out they're probably healthier than energy drinks. Might be worth a try - if they don't make any difference then I presume that it isn't the caffeine.

Is this something that you should bother your GP with?

berocca boost or boots effervescent reenergise boost, these are daily multi vitamin but with added guarana, which has same effect as caffeine except it's natural and instead of energy level dropping like a stone when caffeine wears off, guarana tappers off so actually lasts longer. boots ones are just as good as the berocca but a lot cheaper. just make sure it's the boost ones you get, as the others are just the multi vitamin, which would help but it would take 6-8 weeks for you to feel any benefit. hope this helps.

Ice Cold Bath ... that will wake you up:) Go Swim with the penguins!

ps these are soluble tablets, so just like a fizzy drink. I take mine right after breakfast and hand on heart they really wake me up.

im no expert but regularly wake up before my alarm when had a decent sleep, so maybe your not getting enough. go an hour earlier for a week and see how you feel, its free too ;). also exercise makes you feel more awake and alert

Banned

Try Fab energy drinks and Pollen tablets (1tablet will give u a boost of energy that will last for 4h) from Forever Living, those are very good and not full of chemicals. I've been tried them so many times and they work very well.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, I do get a good bit of exercise - I go to the gym a few times a week. I'll try the extra sleep for a week as suggested. I have tried extra sleep a few times but probably not for long enough.

I'll take a look at the Berocca boost, not keen on soluble tablets - if it's anything like asprin etc - it normally makes me feel sick!

Have you thought of trying a light box, similar to the type used for sufferers of S.A.D? Tesco do one with good reviews, Philips also make them:
tesco.com/dir…prd?pageLevel=&skuId=215-0342&sc_cmp=pcp_GSF_Furnishings%20%26%20Décor_215-0342kpid=215-0342&sc_cmp=ppc_g__&gclid=CIr9jvrAkr4CFfShtAodsSIAZA
Another good tip is to have protein for breakfast eg poached eggs, omelette or scrambled eggs.

I'm the same........have been drinking coconut water with green tea powder for a few months.

Natural, stimulating and have even dropped a few pounds

Nothing can beat sleep, after having sat many exams with both 2 hours sleep and 8. Too much caffeine is bad for your muscles, you'll know when you're shaking..

Try stretching. Watch what a cat does when she gets up. Maybe the energy is their but just blocked in the spine somewhere.

Banned

Try a chilli it has the same effect as a coffee

mate, buy those £1 smoothies from asda and down half of it, im buzzing in the morning before uni and its 2 of your five a day aparenly =D

Home and bargain sell water with caffeine in it

Its not unhealthy if you are using up the energy.

Why do people think certain caffeine tablets are better than others? It's like when people think Nurofen is better than the 25p Asda Ibuprofen. The ingredient is exactly the same so they will perform the same.

Get some cheap caffeine tablets if you need to, go for the cheapest, this way you're cutting out the sugar.

I saw an android app that uses sleep research to suggest bedtimes based on the time you need to wake. Most people have a sleep cycle around 90 mins and the theory is if you wake from the deepest part of your sleep cycle you will feel like crap.

Original Poster

robertsclark

I saw an android app that uses sleep research to suggest bedtimes based … I saw an android app that uses sleep research to suggest bedtimes based on the time you need to wake. Most people have a sleep cycle around 90 mins and the theory is if you wake from the deepest part of your sleep cycle you will feel like crap.

Any ideas on what it was called?

SleepyTime

Eat healthy and exercise 3-5 x p/w.

End of discussion.

As Dea223 said, protein is a good thing for the morning. Was going to suggest it myself after reading all the comments about tablets and other drinks.

Give it a read over on Google and it won't hurt to try.

ding

Home and bargain sell water with caffeine in it

here

Original Poster

mintcondition

Eat healthy and exercise 3-5 x p/w.End of discussion.

I still end up tired, I exercise regularly. I think I eat healthily.

Maybe I could improve what I eat a little but it certainly isn't bad. There were a few posts about protein, I do get quite a bit of protein as we have chickens so we get a lot of eggs to get through!

I'm OK by lunch time.

If I have an energy drink first thing then it gets me through the morning and by the time it wears off I'm alright. If I don't have an energy drink, I spend most of the morning feeling tired but then start to pick up naturally by lunch time.

If it means anything I also tend to feel tired towards the end of the working day 5'oclock (ish) but then pick up again later at around 7-8ish.

I only ever have 1 energy drink in a day and only ever on week days.

Original Poster

ding

here

Thanks that looks good I may give it try. Although I guess it isn't much different to having caffeine tablets and water?

what exercises do you do? Also how long for?

Original Poster

mintcondition

what exercises do you do? Also how long for?

At the moment I go to the gym around 4 times per week, I try to always get a run in - if I'm short on time I'll spend 15 mins on the treadmill (hill mode) and do 2.5k, if I've got longer I'll do 5k. I do a little bit of weights now and again but I'm not really that interested in weights etc. I'll have a swim once or twice a week.

I'd like to say I'm a keen cyclist too but I haven't been on my bike for over a year now, I'll hopefully be getting back into it soon. I was doing 100+ miles per week and doing rides of up to 100 miles at a time. Usual ride was around 30 miles.

The tiredness was exactly the same even when I was doing the cycling on a regular basis.

I used to be tired a lot when I was younger, I exercised pretty much daily, got at least 9 hours sleep, although I didn't eat that well.

I have worked out that 6.5-7 hours sleep is ideal for me to feel energised for the day.

So maybe you could try different sleep times to see if you need more (or less, although unlikely) sleep than you are currently getting.

Being motivated to go to work may help as well...(tougher to get that one sorted :-))

Original Poster

Bigfootpete

I used to be tired a lot when I was younger, I exercised pretty much … I used to be tired a lot when I was younger, I exercised pretty much daily, got at least 9 hours sleep, although I didn't eat that well.I have worked out that 6.5-7 hours sleep is ideal for me to feel energised for the day.So maybe you could try different sleep times to see if you need more (or less, although unlikely) sleep than you are currently getting.Being motivated to go to work may help as well...(tougher to get that one sorted :-))

I enjoy work - I changed career a few years ago purposely to give me a job I enjoy doing.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions