Anyone got experience buying consoles in CEX?

Found 2nd Mar
Interested in picking up a switch and I know that using vouchers I can pick one up for around the 150 pound mark (as most things I can trade in would yield twice the amount I’d get in cash). Are there consoles in any decent condition? Or should I avoid like the plague?

Yes I know I can sell the games on eBay and make the money that way to buy one, but it’s not worth the faff if they are decent enough (not to mention some of the games boxes leave a lot to be desired).
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
they do not give you double value for a voucher as opposed to cash
Original Poster
mattmerch8 m ago

they do not give you double value for a voucher as opposed to cash

Effectively they do - many items I pick up in the 5 pound range I can either get 7 cash or 10 voucher (yes technically I don’t get double voucher than cash but I do double my initial starting which is what I tried to say)
bobac30 m ago

Effectively they do - many items I pick up in the 5 pound range I can …Effectively they do - many items I pick up in the 5 pound range I can either get 7 cash or 10 voucher (yes technically I don’t get double voucher than cash but I do double my initial starting which is what I tried to say)

I have done exactly what you are thinking of for an Xbox one x, been getting very cheap Xbox 360 bundles and the odd wii u and shifting the games for vouchers and flogging the consoles on. They pay good prices for 360 stuff, and wii come to think of it.

I ended up with a mint project scorpio that in real money cost me about £150 in additional outlay/money not clawed back on bundles.

Don't pick up a discounted unit if getting a switch as the screen would likely have scratches, but a boxed standard listing by their rules of buying should be pretty pristine, and you could inspect in store anyway.
Original Poster
Richard_Richard3 m ago

I have done exactly what you are thinking of for an Xbox one x, been …I have done exactly what you are thinking of for an Xbox one x, been getting very cheap Xbox 360 bundles and the odd wii u and shifting the games for vouchers and flogging the consoles on. They pay good prices for 360 stuff, and wii come to think of it.I ended up with a mint project scorpio that in real money cost me about £150 in additional outlay/money not clawed back on bundles.Don't pick up a discounted unit if getting a switch as the screen would likely have scratches, but a boxed standard listing by their rules of buying should be pretty pristine, and you could inspect in store anyway.

I think I got this idea from a post of yours actually. I was going to shoot for a boxed Switch and defo would inspect but I know they tend to pick up broken non-working games, not sure how they are console wise. Yes bundles from facebook, gumtree etc is what i would use to get games for my xbox one but i reckon I have enough of a backlog and not that much time to sell on ebay so I though to straight up trade in as trade in value is sometimes better than what you would get from ebay post fees and stuff.
bobac9 m ago

I think I got this idea from a post of yours actually. I was going to …I think I got this idea from a post of yours actually. I was going to shoot for a boxed Switch and defo would inspect but I know they tend to pick up broken non-working games, not sure how they are console wise. Yes bundles from facebook, gumtree etc is what i would use to get games for my xbox one but i reckon I have enough of a backlog and not that much time to sell on ebay so I though to straight up trade in as trade in value is sometimes better than what you would get from ebay post fees and stuff.

Ah yeah the guy asking about an X yesterday I imagine.

They test consoles when they buy them, if they find any issues they reject them, plus I seem to recall consoles have a 2 year warranty.

I'm sure when people think of cex it's stolen/covered in scratches & filth but in most cases that's not correct. Saying that I wouldn't buy a phone from there due to ease of blocking at a later date.
Original Poster
Richard_Richard19 m ago

Ah yeah the guy asking about an X yesterday I imagine.They test consoles …Ah yeah the guy asking about an X yesterday I imagine.They test consoles when they buy them, if they find any issues they reject them, plus I seem to recall consoles have a 2 year warranty.I'm sure when people think of cex it's stolen/covered in scratches & filth but in most cases that's not correct. Saying that I wouldn't buy a phone from there due to ease of blocking at a later date.

Ye I think its was your discussion I saw. I believe its up to store discretion how they check their items as I have seen people trade in broken items no problem
bobac7 m ago

Ye I think its was your discussion I saw. I believe its up to store …Ye I think its was your discussion I saw. I believe its up to store discretion how they check their items as I have seen people trade in broken items no problem

Are they franchises? Bit silly if they don't, just make sure you buy from one that tests.

Both my locals do, certainly consoles but also controllers and such, they don't even look at discs though.

My next mission is to get enough vouchers for an essentially free ps4 pro, it might take a while.
Bought kids a switch for Xmas from there, asked to look at a few and one was absolute pristine with all the inner wrappings unopened. Bought many consoles at cex and laptops, never had a problem.
Original Poster
Richard_Richard8 h, 7 m ago

Are they franchises? Bit silly if they don't, just make sure you buy from …Are they franchises? Bit silly if they don't, just make sure you buy from one that tests. Both my locals do, certainly consoles but also controllers and such, they don't even look at discs though.My next mission is to get enough vouchers for an essentially free ps4 pro, it might take a while.

Whelp just picked up 60 quid worth of Xbox games that trade in for 200. Almost there I guess
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants