Expired

Anyone got experience of "Heir Hunters"....namely Treethorpe?

Found 23rd Jun 2015
They've been sending me letters for years (literally) but as they never mentioned any details of what it was I was owed etc. I ignored them. Finally they've told me its a fair bit of cash/shares in my late Mum's name and for 25% they'll tell me about it! Seems steep for a bit of basic office work. Of course they should be paid a fair sum for their work but i am allergic to paying "them in suits" excessive sums for basic services. Thanksd in advance.
Community Updates
16 Comments
No experience of them personally but, think about it, nothing or 75%? I would willingly pay the 25% fee.
Unclaimed estates list

On the above link you can download a csv (can be viewed/opened in excel or similar spreadsheet software) which contains a list of "unclaimed" estates - in most cases these have been passed onto "heir hunters" who try to find a next of kin.

If you haven't yet researched your family tree maybe it's time to spend a few days researching. I can help with advice but my subscription to ancestry.co.uk has just ran out so cannot access all records.

HTH

pm me if you need assistance with family tree. I have spent several years researching and helping others.

More "chat" about Treethorpe's on MSE here
Edited by: "philphil61" 23rd Jun 2015
philphil61

Unclaimed estates listOn the above link you can download a csv (can be … Unclaimed estates listOn the above link you can download a csv (can be viewed/opened in excel or similar spreadsheet software) which contains a list of "unclaimed" estates - in most cases these have been passed onto "heir hunters" who try to find a next of kiIf you haven't yet researched your family tree maybe it's time to spend a few days researching. I can help with advice but my subscription to ancestry.co.uk has just ran out so cannot access all records.HTHpm me if you need assistance with family tree. I have spent several years researching and helping others.More "chat" about Treethorpe's on MSE here

Thanks...I've had a good go on ancestry .com and looked at the unclaimed asset csv...think its an investment that has gone astray...
Wyley100

No experience of them personally but, think about it, nothing or 75%? I … No experience of them personally but, think about it, nothing or 75%? I would willingly pay the 25% fee.

Not inclined to do this.......I am not desperate to get hold of the money, but if i was and was in bad state financially the difference between 25 & 75% could be a life changer...I don't think they should get away with being greedy at the expense of peopel they essentially know nothin about.
patg2005

Not inclined to do this.......I am not desperate to get hold of the … Not inclined to do this.......I am not desperate to get hold of the money, but if i was and was in bad state financially the difference between 25 & 75% could be a life changer...I don't think they should get away with being greedy at the expense of peopel they essentially know nothin about.

I understand you completely but this is what they do and they make a lot of money and there's lots of competition.

Ooops sorry replied to wrong comment

Could be an investment but could be a relative who's estate is split to many.

I've known (during my research) of a man who married 3 times, his 3rd wife was his brothers widow with several kids per marriage...lots of fun

Edited by: "philphil61" 23rd Jun 2015
patg2005

Not inclined to do this.......I am not desperate to get hold of the … Not inclined to do this.......I am not desperate to get hold of the money, but if i was and was in bad state financially the difference between 25 & 75% could be a life changer...I don't think they should get away with being greedy at the expense of peopel they essentially know nothin about.

I suppose it'll go to the Treasury then.
seeing as without them telling you by letter you would have no idea about the funds so may as well get them to do the legwork 75% of something is better than 100% of nothing
I am actually going through the process right now with a different company. apparently my father passed d away and they said they'll get me what is mine less 10%. I was taken into care off my father when I was 3. Haven't seen him since I was 8. I'm 44.
The way I looked at it was, well I'd have never known so anything is better than nothing and 10% seems fair for all the work they will do.

I wonder if I feel the same when the final statementt arrives
gr8t1

I am actually going through the process right now with a different … I am actually going through the process right now with a different company. apparently my father passed d away and they said they'll get me what is mine less 10%. I was taken into care off my father when I was 3. Haven't seen him since I was 8. I'm 44. The way I looked at it was, well I'd have never known so anything is better than nothing and 10% seems fair for all the work they will do.I wonder if I feel the same when the final statementt arrives

I think you're right. The opening poster wouldn't of known anything about it if this company hadn't made them aware. As such, they should be entitled to a cut of any monies.
Wyley100

I suppose it'll go to the Treasury then.

Not for another 25 years, by which time I guess I'll have tracked it down....btw the whole issue was almost certainly caused by another "suit" getting my address completely wrong on the probate form...
ipswich78

I think you're right. The opening poster wouldn't of known anything about … I think you're right. The opening poster wouldn't of known anything about it if this company hadn't made them aware. As such, they should be entitled to a cut of any monies.

10% cut would be fine by me 33% 0r 25% seems too much....
I don't see what you have to lose tbh. I'd offer them 15% with a view to settling on 20%. Also, wearing a suit doesn't make somebody a bad person.
tallpete33

I don't see what you have to lose tbh. I'd offer them 15% with a view to … I don't see what you have to lose tbh. I'd offer them 15% with a view to settling on 20%. Also, wearing a suit doesn't make somebody a bad person.

Agreed...Not everyone in a suit is a bad person...just In my experience they can charge a lot of money for what is often an indifferent service...recent history (bankers etc.) bears this out. I state again I have no problem paying a sensible amount for a good service but in this case their original offer would have cost me and my brother over 9k for what looked to me like a mornings work...I haven't bothered to tell the whole story here, but trust me if you were me you would not have felt comfortable about with the way things were handled...
Hi patg2005..I cant PM you as Im a new user,would you send me a e mail address pls?
They take a big percentage of your money. A very distant relative on my fathers side died and left some money. It was split up I would have got nearly £4000 but in the end I got about £1,500. So read their T & Cs before going ahead. I did'nt mind as it paid towards my new driveway. Hope this helps
summerof76

They take a big percentage of your money. A very distant relative on my … They take a big percentage of your money. A very distant relative on my fathers side died and left some money. It was split up I would have got nearly £4000 but in the end I got about £1,500. So read their T & Cs before going ahead. I did'nt mind as it paid towards my new driveway. Hope this helps

Thanks for you message
Sorry to here you were so badly treated by Treethorpe. They have been persuing me and my brother for ages and when I read what they offered I felt it was too one sided.....a fat profit for Treethorpe and all the extra costs etc. falling on us. The percentage they suggested was also ridiculously high for the amount of work they said they had done. This percentage fell by a big chunk when I mentioned this but is still 25% (plus VAT and expenses). It seems that Treeethorpes's charging structure is based on what they can get away with, rather than related to the actual amount of work actually performed. Not an attitude which makes me want to do business with them.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions