Expired

Anyone got experience with an instant water heater for a shower?

Found 25th Sep 2017
So I'm looking to hide a water heating unit in the space behind the shower and use just a waterfall shower head - so pressure should not be an issue.

But from doing some research it seems that Instant water heaters(IWH) don't seem to be as good at heating water as a power shower.

My cold water feed will get very cold in winter, does anyone know how good the 24kw IWH's are at heating water? I haven't been able to find a proper specification that tells you how much water will be heated, I also assume the water pressure will make a difference as faster flow will not have time to heat properly.

Before anyone asks - I do not want to use the combi boiler for my shower.
Community Updates
Ask
3 Comments
Do you have an industrial electric supply? 24KW devices are normally 3 phase! This is equivalent to 100A which is normally the limit on most domestic power supplies.

Heating water with electricity is generally limted to 10.5 kW and I doubt this would be sufficient for a waterfall type shower - you would most likely need to use stored hot water to satisfy the necessary flowrate.
Van197317 m ago

Do you have an industrial electric supply? 24KW devices are normally 3 …Do you have an industrial electric supply? 24KW devices are normally 3 phase! This is equivalent to 100A which is normally the limit on most domestic power supplies.Heating water with electricity is generally limted to 10.5 kW and I doubt this would be sufficient for a waterfall type shower - you would most likely need to use stored hot water to satisfy the necessary flowrate.

Ahhh, I did notice the three phase mentioned but didn't realise that it meant more power than standard. Thanks, looks like I'll be sticking with an electric shower then.
I know you said you didn't want to use the combination boiler for your shower..

But we had an electric shower in our rented house, and one in the bungalow we bought. Eventually we got a combination boiler and rads. And connected our new shower to it. And it's the best thing we did, combs are always a better shower
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions