anyone got the new tefal actfry fryer?

22 replies
Found 26th Oct 2009
the one where you use 1 spoon of oil? my mam wants one but concerned the chips wont taste as good and maybe a bit like oven chips. can anyone confirm what its like?

22 Comments

We contemplated it....looked at the reviews, then declined.

Original Poster

Lulu'sMammy;6697491

We contemplated it....looked at the reviews, then declined.

weve looked at the reviews, she still wants one but i dont want to order it for her to be disappointed. its alot of money for something to be used once

Quite a few opinions on it from Amazon reviewers:

]http//ww…UOE

I bought one without reading the reviews and it stopped working after a couple of months. Its sat in my kitchen as an ornament at the moment cause it doesnt work

A friend of mine has one and swears by it and he is a chip expert. Apparently just like standard home made chips.

Original Poster

moob;6697514

Quite a few opinions on it from Amazon … Quite a few opinions on it from Amazon reviewers:]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tefal-ActiFry-Low-Electric-Fryer/dp/B000T76UOE

thanks moob, very helpful. rep coming your way

Leila70;6697573

A friend of mine has one and swears by it and he is a chip expert. … A friend of mine has one and swears by it and he is a chip expert. Apparently just like standard home made chips.

they are good when they work. Unfortunately they have a tendancy to go on fire:? there was a watchdog on it

bbc.co.uk/blo…tml

Original Poster

pinkkitty2007;6697562

I bought one without reading the reviews and it stopped working after a … I bought one without reading the reviews and it stopped working after a couple of months. Its sat in my kitchen as an ornament at the moment cause it doesnt work

it should be under warranty, i would get it seen to

There's a Watchdog thing on them because LOADS of them have caught fire, a design fault that Tefal won't put right because the number that have caught fire isn't high enough to warrant a product recall (if I remember rightly). If you search the Watchdog web site, you should be able to find it on there somewhere if you want to read it.

I wouldn't buy one because I wouldn't want to take the risk

I saw the Watchdog thing too - look badly made although the idea seems cool!

Original Poster

took the plunge and ordered one

Make sure you warn your mum about them catching fire so she doesn't have a nasty accident with it

Got on in August 08, motor stopped working, got it replaced. We love it! Desiree potatoes make excellent chips!

Robotochan;6697931

Got on in August 08, motor stopped working, got it replaced. We love it! … Got on in August 08, motor stopped working, got it replaced. We love it! Desiree potatoes make excellent chips!

Which bit is the motor? Mine has stopped turning, does that mean its the motor too or something else?

The bit that spins the paddle. If you speak to Tefal, they'll send you out a replacement paddle, it won't work and you'll take/send it back to the place you got it from and get a new one ;-)

I'e had mine for a while now and we think it's brilliant. Several of the members at my Slimming World group also have them - our consultant has brought hers in to demonstrate "fat-free" chips - everyone is impressed.

We got 2 last december, one for the mother in law and one for us. Been used pretty heavily and guess what.....

It hasn't caught fire. Watchdog is and has always been, hyped up BS.

Mine just blew, with the most spectacular blue flash and disgusting smoke/smell.

Got a ticket raised with WERLS as it's only 8 months old. Think I might get my money back from Argos...

donnaraine;6697507

weve looked at the reviews, she still wants one but i dont want to order … weve looked at the reviews, she still wants one but i dont want to order it for her to be disappointed. its alot of money for something to be used once

lool always thought u were a SHE haha nice avvy...for a guy... (no homo)

numptyj;7499031

lool always thought u were a SHE haha nice avvy...for a guy... (no homo)

Where does the OP state their gender?

tessb;7499364

Where does the OP state their gender?

donnaraine;6697507

weve looked at the reviews, she still wants one but i dont want to order … weve looked at the reviews, she still wants one but i dont want to order it for her to be disappointed. its alot of money for something to be used once

I'm assuming OP is in a heterosexual relationship and therefore is relating to his wife or girlfriend, therefore making OP a male.

HTH

I too have been a great fan until ours decided to stop turning. Murphys law it is 1 month out of warranty. The thing stops turning even with just a dozen chips in it, or 3 - 4 sausages. Used to handle heaps more than that. I've checked the web re this fault and it seems to be quite common. I contacted Tefal and their response was 'sorry, it's out of warranty'. We didn't use ours that much 1 - 2 times a fortnight so I would have expected to last longer than it did. Very dissappointed with Tefal and intend to take it further under Sale of Goods Act as it should be able to work more than 30 - 40 times. :0(
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244916
    2. Add one, leave one game54415442
    3. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604813
    4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226645

See more discussions