Anyone had a bad experience with Argos?

Found 7th Nov 2017
It's not often I make a complaint. It's very rare indeed, but I just have to get this one off my chest! So I purchased a laptop from Argos. 3 days later, I found it kept crashing with the most basic of tasks e.g writing a letter, wifi would intermittently go off (my mac, phone and other equipment was fine). So I taken the laptop back to Argos. Initially, I was going to ask for an exchange, but decided i'd like a refund because I didn't want to chance it.

They took my laptop away for 2 minutes and came back saying:

"It's fine, there's no issue. Nothing we can do." I told the manager it was an intermittent issue (which it was) and i'm not surprised it hasn't showed up in the 2 minutes they've "tested" it.

The manager said: "you can't return something because you don't like it". I couldn't believe what I was hearing. That wasn't the case at all. I quoted the Argos 30 day money back guarantee. He refused to honour it saying:

"It doesn't apply to this".

So I asked what I can do. The manager said:

"If we can't physically see a defect then there's no refund". Then he said: "call the manufacturer, if they diagnose it and there's a fault, we'll refund you". So I called the manufacturer and they said: "there's no such thing as a reference number for us to give you. Argos should refund you for the faulty product".

So I go back into the store and the manager appears shocked - as if he didn't expect me back. He then started saying the number I called was incorrect!!! (I got the number from the Argos site!). He called the number and they must have told him the same thing they told me. And then the manager started to look for other reasons not to give a refund such as "I can't see an instruction booklet" - it looked like the people who "tested" the laptop had taken the booklet out, so it appeared that I was returning the laptop and charger only. After around 40 minutes of back and forth, he refunded me.

I've had 2 bad experiences with Argos before, but for me, that it is. I refuse to shop at their stores. I think they're crooks. I've made a complaint to them, but who knows what will happen.

Anyone else been treated like crap by Argos?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments
I'm not giving excuses here but

Argos have had millions upon millions of happy customers and probably had a few thousand unhappy customers - just like most retailers

It happens and customers have their rights

The fact you "suffered" at this time is just one of those "life's experiences"

Was Argos manager wrong - yes

Did he apologies? If yes then that apology should have been made with meaning and it wasn't
If no it proves the manager needs retraining or just another sign of today's society

If me I'd be posting on Twitter or Facebook if I used them because that seems to be the way to complain these days
Edited by: "philphil61" 7th Nov 2017
philphil6147 m ago

I'd be posting on Twitter or Facebook if I used them because that seems to …I'd be posting on Twitter or Facebook if I used them because that seems to be the way to complain these days

Its a sad truth, Aviva messed me around for months, within a day of me venting on their FB page I received a call and the issue was sorted!
Edited by: "frakison" 7th Nov 2017
@in$anity

"..."I can't see an instruction booklet" - it looked like the people who "tested" the laptop had taken the booklet out, so it appeared that I was returning the laptop and charger only. After around 40 minutes of back and forth, he refunded me."

Missed opportunity to say...

"Find it...get it... Argos it"
sounds like a bad manager, ask to speak to someone above him or phone up customer services.
catbeans36 m ago

sounds like a bad manager, ask to speak to someone above him or phone up …sounds like a bad manager, ask to speak to someone above him or phone up customer services.

Read the OP fully
I've personally had several bad experiences shopping here and now avoid it whenever possible.
Oddly the final straw was when I ordered something from their ebay store and immediately after noticed that the address had somehow defaulted to a residence I hadn't lived at for over a year. I called them within 10 minutes of the order but they were apparently unable to do anything after it had been made, luckily it did get sent back and I wasn't charged.
Their customer support did not understand at all, I had to tell them several times that I didn't live at the address and they only ever said to just send it back for a refund, I was basically yelling at them by the 7th time I had to repeat this, it was a nightmare of a conversation.
Used them for a table arrived smashed the store sorted straight away
I think it all depends on your local store really the one close to me the staff are great
I have found the returns policy at argos very laxed. They pretty much take anything back without much questioning as long as you have a receipt. They dont allow returns of certain items, one of them being the laptop unless it is faulty.

Your problem is that you need to demonstrate that it is faulty and because it is intermitten, this is difficult to prove. Loss of internet could be your router issue rather than the laptop. Crashing out of word could be a problem with microsoft word. You may be experiencing software issues rather than hardware problems.

Your best bet is the manufacturer if Argos wont accept that it is faulty and you can not demonstrate that it is so as ultimately, the manufacturer is responsible for faulty products.

If you get no where, you can write a complaint letter to Argos and the manufacturer and state that if they do not accept the return for repair, you will get report and repair from a repair company like PC world and send them the bill.

They wont give you a refund. You will only be entitled to a repair
mutley113 m ago

I have found the returns policy at argos very laxed. They pretty much …I have found the returns policy at argos very laxed. They pretty much take anything back without much questioning as long as you have a receipt. They dont allow returns of certain items, one of them being the laptop unless it is faulty.Your problem is that you need to demonstrate that it is faulty and because it is intermitten, this is difficult to prove. Loss of internet could be your router issue rather than the laptop. Crashing out of word could be a problem with microsoft word. You may be experiencing software issues rather than hardware problems.Your best bet is the manufacturer if Argos wont accept that it is faulty and you can not demonstrate that it is so as ultimately, the manufacturer is responsible for faulty products.If you get no where, you can write a complaint letter to Argos and the manufacturer and state that if they do not accept the return for repair, you will get report and repair from a repair company like PC world and send them the bill.They wont give you a refund. You will only be entitled to a repair

Nope, his contract is with Argos, not the manufacturer.
catbeans5 h, 31 m ago

sounds like a bad manager, ask to speak to someone above him or phone up …sounds like a bad manager, ask to speak to someone above him or phone up customer services.

mutley147 m ago

I have found the returns policy at argos very laxed. They pretty much …I have found the returns policy at argos very laxed. They pretty much take anything back without much questioning as long as you have a receipt. They dont allow returns of certain items, one of them being the laptop unless it is faulty.Your problem is that you need to demonstrate that it is faulty and because it is intermitten, this is difficult to prove. Loss of internet could be your router issue rather than the laptop. Crashing out of word could be a problem with microsoft word. You may be experiencing software issues rather than hardware problems.Your best bet is the manufacturer if Argos wont accept that it is faulty and you can not demonstrate that it is so as ultimately, the manufacturer is responsible for faulty products.If you get no where, you can write a complaint letter to Argos and the manufacturer and state that if they do not accept the return for repair, you will get report and repair from a repair company like PC world and send them the bill.They wont give you a refund. You will only be entitled to a repair

Both of you need to fully read the opening post on a thread before commenting.

The OP has had a full refund.
.MUFC.38 m ago

Nope, his contract is with Argos, not the manufacturer.

The manufacturer warranty is in addition to the retailer warranty so if he gets no joy with the retailer, the manufacturer is still responsible for the repair. He may get better luck with the manufacturer as they feel responsible for their products and they may have a better customer care department than the retailer.

I would make a complaint to them both about the faulty product
andynicol8 m ago

Both of you need to fully read the opening post on a thread before …Both of you need to fully read the opening post on a thread before commenting.The OP has had a full refund.

Did not see that. Refund gotten, problem solved. Part of the stress of being a consumer.
andynicol32 m ago

Both of you need to fully read the opening post on a thread before …Both of you need to fully read the opening post on a thread before commenting.The OP has had a full refund.

So? Still bad see, what about people not willing to push it like OP.
Glad you got the result you wanted, you could of saved at least one trip though as within the first 6 months the retailer has to prove there is no fault, intermittent or not and only after 6 months you have to prove it, you have rights under the consumer rights act (formally sale of goods act)
Have a read at the Which guide Here, It's never a good idea to go in guns blazing of course, just be polite, explain you've done some research and found the consumer rights act gives you certain protection and rights the retailer must follow, usually does the trick.

Your contract is with the retailer, it's the retailer who has the contract with the manufacturer so always deal direct with the retailer, if they say the manufacturer needs to be dealt with, that's their problem and not yours.

By all means push for compensation but you wasted 1 trip, a couple of hours and a phone call, they'll most likely give you a £10.00 voucher, is it really worth it ? it's your time, so your choice
My grandmother bought a laptop from Argos too that was very glitchy and would freeze and was too slow etc. She got it replaced the next day and all but the speed issues were still there, just not as bad. She kept it and I helped thoroughly update the computer etc
To balance things out, no I have never had a problem with Argos.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants