Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Anyone had a speeding letter from Met Police recently?

Posted 5th Mar 2012
Hi all.
Know I am probably going to get a load of sarky comments but just wondered if anyone would care to share their experience with speeding notices?

Just got a letter stating that OH's car was caught doing 59mph in a 50mph zone. The letter is just asking for the driver details at this point.

We have both been driving for 12 years and this is the first speeding ticket either of us have had. I have heard of these 'speed awareness' courses and was wondering how likely it is that OH would be offered one of these instead of having to take 3 points on his licence (am worried about insurance costs after getting 3 points).

I was hoping that others here who got similar letters from the (Met Police specifically) would mind sharing how much over the limit they were speeding and what choices were offered to them?

Thanks very much x
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

45 Comments

sorted by

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Anonymous User
    [image missing]

Author
    Thanks guys...
    si_dawg

I'm have court in a few weeks for doing 67mph in a 30! Doubt I'll walk … I'm have court in a few weeks for doing 67mph in a 30! Doubt I'll walk out with my license but you never know :-s

Jail is where you should be going.
    Anonymous User
    13888878-GPFkO
    13888903-5pHWw
    [img]t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuISRmdLM8FNgpH2Ia7Ou1d7R3yyzW-4KgFJFxF5xOolHyN5a5[/img]
    [image missing]

We have both been driving for 12 years and this is the first speeding … We have both been driving for 12 years and this is the first speeding ticket either of us have had. I have heard of these 'speed awareness' courses and was wondering how likely it is that OH would be offered one of these instead of having to take 3 points on his licence (am worried about insurance costs after getting 3 points).

As long as he hasn't been done in the last 3 years (think it's 3 years but might be wrong) he will be offered the course. It's about 4 hours long maybe 5 hours. You wont get any points and you don't need to inform the insurance companies if you do the course. No exam at the end of the course you just have to participate throughout (rather than sleep for 4 hours)

EDIT: I wasn't done for speeding btw I just know this as my bro is a driving instructor (honest guv (_;) )

(edited)
    [image missing]

Anonymous User
    13888858-QwdFl
    Anonymous User
    13888909-Y1W7h
    13888937-A4eSR
    Mrs.Z

Thanks guys...

Don't know what your saying thank you for, all we have done it trolled your thread
    kevanf1

The old trick used to be to both own up to driving the car that day. But … The old trick used to be to both own up to driving the car that day. But you don't know who was actually driving. I don't know if you can still get away with this one though. Those speed awareness courses are a whole day of some idiot ranting on about how bad it is to speed. Utter crap. It is the inappropriate use of speed in the wrong place that is bad. It is idiots who devise speed limits in the wrong place that catch out otherwise decent drivers. If there was any justice or sense to the speed limits on UK roads then we would see 20mph outside every school and I would welcome this. But don't put 30mph limits on roads without any houses on either side!!!!

REALLY!!!!!!!
    A speed awareness couse is 2 hours long, the rest of your Utter Crap is not worth commenting on!!!! (_;)
    si_dawg

I'm have court in a few weeks for doing 67mph in a 30! Doubt I'll walk … I'm have court in a few weeks for doing 67mph in a 30! Doubt I'll walk out with my license but you never know :-s

That's a disgusting speed to do in a built up area. What if you passed a school and knocked over a kid or anyone really?!
    funny.onion

Cars should be fitted with a device that is activated by passing over or … Cars should be fitted with a device that is activated by passing over or through a device placed in residential areas that prohibits the car from going faster than 30 mph.

Think there is already such a thing bit its costs alot of money

i think road angels etc alert you that you go over the speed limit of which road you may be on
    So no excuse really
    Anonymous User
    shauneco

[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuISRmdLM8FNgpH2Ia7Ou1d7R3yyzW-4KgFJFxF5xOolHyN5a5[/img]

LOL
    sancho1983

haha, love that one! X)
    Anonymous User
    I hun what will happen your points will go ahead but if there is a location in your area then you might get asked to do it. Your insurence wont go up if it does it will be about £30 i got 3 points too and was very worried like you so i went on moneysupermarket to get a quote with pounts and with out altho i wasnt due insurence at that time
    Anonymous User
    Mrs.Z

Thanks guys...

13889037-4bQxC

If there is no photo evidence can you not just say you can't remember who was driving the car at the time?

Check this out.
    (edited)
    Anonymous User
    The old trick used to be to both own up to driving the car that day. But you don't know who was actually driving. I don't know if you can still get away with this one though. Those speed awareness courses are a whole day of some idiot ranting on about how bad it is to speed. Utter crap. It is the inappropriate use of speed in the wrong place that is bad. It is idiots who devise speed limits in the wrong place that catch out otherwise decent drivers. If there was any justice or sense to the speed limits on UK roads then we would see 20mph outside every school and I would welcome this. But don't put 30mph limits on roads without any houses on either side!!!!
    Anonymous User

59mph is within the acpo guidelines for a speed awareness course but only if it is offered in your area.

danmc

If there is no photo evidence can you not just say you can't remember who … If there is no photo evidence can you not just say you can't remember who was driving the car at the time?Check this out.

That's not worked in years. They will only give you a notice of intended prosecution if they have video or photographic evidence to back it up.
    I think it's also an offence to not disclose the driver which comes with points and a more negative effect on your insurance price than speeding alone. That's where the 14 day rule comes into it, as it's reasonable to expect you knew who was driving your car on a specific day within 2 weeks.
    Anonymous User
    tjack01

REALLY!!!!!!!A speed awareness couse is 2 hours long, the rest of your … REALLY!!!!!!!A speed awareness couse is 2 hours long, the rest of your Utter Crap is not worth commenting on!!!! (_;)

Why is its not worth commenting on its true.

If its a completely clear motorway, on a dry day, what is wrong with doing 90mph? Nothing.

If your caught speeding outside a school etc then you should have your car crushed.
    speed awareness courses will be applicable to you if you havent had another speeding ticket wihtin the last three years - they are normally approx 80 however this varies by region- SAC lasts for approx half a day and you will not get any points put upon your license - hope this helps
    Author

We have both been driving for 12 years and this is the first speeding … We have both been driving for 12 years and this is the first speeding ticket either of us have had. I have heard of these 'speed awareness' courses and was wondering how likely it is that OH would be offered one of these instead of having to take 3 points on his licence (am worried about insurance costs after getting 3 points).

In some circumstance where the speed of the vehicle only exceeds the … In some circumstance where the speed of the vehicle only exceeds the speed limit by a narrow margin it may be posible to offer attendance at a speed awareness workshop as an alterntive to fixed penalty or prosecutionPlease note: these workshops are offered at the discretion of police and are not available as a right

Thanks Andy, I have read that that is indeed part of the guidelines (along with the actual speed being less than 10% +6mph of speed limit) but from what I have read it seems that it is not a forgone conclusion that OH will be offered this course.

On the back of the letter it says that

I think the chance of getting offered the course depends on places available so it's a bit of a 'luck of the draw' thing
    ask colin gibson
    Anonymous User
    Got caught by a mobile van going 34 in a 30. Was offered 3 points and a £90 fine or the course for £60, i accepted the course no brainer really. It lasts around 4 hours with a mid-way break inbetween. It was mostly about how 2 mph makes a difference and how eco driving can save money etc.... As others have said, just try not to fall asleep and you should be ok.
    Mrs.Z

Thanks Andy, I have read that that is indeed part of the guidelines … Thanks Andy, I have read that that is indeed part of the guidelines (along with the actual speed being less than 10% +6mph of speed limit) but from what I have read it seems that it is not a forgone conclusion that OH will be offered this course. On the back of the letter it says that I think the chance of getting offered the course depends on places available so it's a bit of a 'luck of the draw' thing

When (if) you admit to the offence send a covering note saying that you'd like the option of the course rather than a fine.
    Author
    Zodiak

Got caught by a mobile van going 34 in a 30. Was offered 3 points and a … Got caught by a mobile van going 34 in a 30. Was offered 3 points and a £90 fine or the course for £60, i accepted the course no brainer really. It lasts around 4 hours with a mid-way break inbetween. It was mostly about how 2 mph makes a difference and how eco driving can save money etc.... As others have said, just try not to fall asleep and you should be ok.

Wow, 34 in a 30? Now that's harsh oO

andywedge

When (if) you admit to the offence send a covering note saying that you'd … When (if) you admit to the offence send a covering note saying that you'd like the option of the course rather than a fine.

Thanks for the advice, Andy - I will do that
    Anonymous User
    andywedge

As long as he hasn't been done in the last 3 years (think it's 3 years … As long as he hasn't been done in the last 3 years (think it's 3 years but might be wrong) he will be offered the course. It's about 4 hours long maybe 5 hours. You wont get any points and you don't need to inform the insurance companies if you do the course. No exam at the end of the course you just have to participate throughout (rather than sleep for 4 hours)EDIT: I wasn't done for speeding btw I just know this as my bro is a driving instructor (honest guv (_;) )

It is actually 2 years in my force area, you can also be offered a number of different courses for different offences, so in two years you could attend courses for speeding, using your mobile, seat belt ect if they are on offer in your force area. The fine is usually larger but much better than getting points!
    I have just been offered one, its £85 in Hertfordshire, and lasts 4 hours. By accepting and completing the course I will not receive 3 points and £60 fine.
    Was doing 80 in a 70 (empty motorway). I received the intial letter asking me if I were driving, which I signed and sent back, then received another letter a few days later with and option to fill in one side of the paper to accept points and fine, or the reverse side to do the Speed awareness course, I filled in the course application, and posted off today.

To be eligible for the course....

Must hold a valid 'UK' driving licence
    The course must be completed within 4 months of the offence date
    Not have attended a Speed awarness course in the previous 36 months
    You offence speed be within these margins....
    Speed Limit Speed to be Eligible
    30mph up to 42mph
    40mph up to 53mph
    50mph up to 64mph
    60mph up to 75mph
    70mph up to 86mph
    (Speeding offences committed on roads with a speed limit lower than 30mph will not be offered the course)
    I haven't done speed for years. It's not fashionable
    Anonymous User
    england1996

I have just been offered one, its £85 in Hertfordshire, and lasts 4 … I have just been offered one, its £85 in Hertfordshire, and lasts 4 hours. By accepting and completing the course I will not receive 3 points and £60 fine. Was doing 80 in a 70 (empty motorway). I received the intial letter asking me if I were driving, which I signed and sent back, then received another letter a few days later with and option to fill in one side of the paper to accept points and fine, or the reverse side to do the Speed awareness course, I filled in the course application, and posted off today.To be eligible for the course....Must hold a valid 'UK' driving licenceThe course must be completed within 4 months of the offence dateNot have attended a Speed awarness course in the previous 36 monthsYou offence speed be within these margins....Speed Limit Speed to be Eligible30mph up to 42mph40mph up to 53mph50mph up to 64mph60mph up to 75mph70mph up to 86mph(Speeding offences committed on roads with a speed limit lower than 30mph will not be offered the course)

Is this specific to the Met? I believe each force sets it's own limits. My daughter did her course in Oxfordshire after getting caught doing 34mph in a 30 zone, she was told that if she'd been travelling in excess of 35mph the course would not have been an option.
    Anonymous User
    I'm have court in a few weeks for doing 67mph in a 30! Doubt I'll walk out with my license but you never know :-s
    si_dawg

You deserve to lose your licence, that speed on a 30 zone is shocking oO
    Anonymous User
    Cars should be fitted with a device that is activated by passing over or through a device placed in residential areas that prohibits the car from going faster than 30 mph.

3 points will make very little difference to your insurance.
    67mph in a 30mph i dont think anyone would be knocked over, they would almost certainly be brown bread.

Disgusting doing that speed in a 30mph zone hope you get banned and have to sit an extended driving test

(edited)
Discussions
Top Merchants