Anyone had an adverse reaction to sanitiser gel?

Posted 18th May
I have very itchy hands at the moment. Maybe the result of an ingredient in a new sanitiser that I bought from Home Bargains recently.
I read online that alcohol based hand cleansers can dry the skin and cause mild dermatitis. Also it can cause alcohol poisoning in children.
Would be interested to know if anyone else has had any skin problems with this. I have stopped using the hand gel and am looking for an alternative, though I might just use alcohol free wipes for on public transport and in shops
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
Where have you got dryness on your hands. This is normal if you have dry skin anyway, all sanitisers will dry you out. You will have to moisturise intensely.
MildmanneredCalvin18/05/2020 19:39

Where have you got dryness on your hands. This is normal if you have dry …Where have you got dryness on your hands. This is normal if you have dry skin anyway, all sanitisers will dry you out. You will have to moisturise intensely.

Never had dry skin before. The itching is over back of hands and fingers. I am applying moisturiser.
Had same issue but only on back of my hands. I switched to soap instead at home and used moisturiser daily and it cleared up.
I do use portable carex when out and about but never on back of my hand.
Edited by: "AnkerMan" 18th May
Predikuesi18/05/2020 19:42

Never had dry skin before. The itching is over back of hands and fingers. …Never had dry skin before. The itching is over back of hands and fingers. I am applying moisturiser.

Maybe don't apply it there? The palm is the worst for growth of microorganisms (not viruses) but also the surface that will be coming into contact with coronavirus that could be sitting on any surface.
MildmanneredCalvin18/05/2020 19:50

Maybe don't apply it there? The palm is the worst for growth of …Maybe don't apply it there? The palm is the worst for growth of microorganisms (not viruses) but also the surface that will be coming into contact with coronavirus that could be sitting on any surface.

Good point. A habit to be broken.
Predikuesi18/05/2020 19:58

Good point. A habit to be broken.

I'm in healthcare and have been using this for years. It did give me very dry skin, and I found having it on the palms and dry cuticle skin to be most helpful and where most bugs need to be killed by the alcohol The dryness went into remission
Just use it when you come in from outside when you have been somewhere public. No need to use it when at home.
You could also wear surgical gloves and just apply the santisers to that. This does away with drying out the skin all together. Only downside is wearing those latex gloves and being careful when removing them.
You'll probably find Isopropyl alcohol based hand sanitisers worse than ethanol based.

If you buy sanitiser from a dodgy source, there's a risk it might contain methanol, which is poisonous :- ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc…46/

I's suggest using antiseptic cream instead of moisturiser to treat your itchy hands and maybe buying a pack of disposable gloves, or several pairs of washable ones.
Use dove soap.
Yeah just use a moisturiser after drying hands
Willy_Wonka18/05/2020 20:13

Just use it when you come in from outside when you have been somewhere …Just use it when you come in from outside when you have been somewhere public. No need to use it when at home.

Or just wash your hands thoroughly after coming in from outside.
Little known fact that the natural fatty acid on your skins surface is bactericidal:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc…17/
So I guess you can overdo the cleaning too. At home, maybe solid or liquid soap is best and not the alcohol based ones.
I work in a hospital and sometimes especially if I'm working extra hours I found my hands to be very red and itchy sometimes even cracking and bleeding.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions