Expired

Anyone had asbestos insulating boards removed?

Found 15th Nov 2014
Got an insulating board in a boiler cupboard door which looks like it may be asbestos.

Looking to get it removed. Anyone know how much ball park?

I got £400 - £700, £1K + from google. Anyone had this done?
Community Updates
AskBoard Game
17 Comments
Can you not just take the whole door off as one unit without disturbing the interior? Then just having to pay for the correct disposal?
I had to have a roof panel above a hot air heatign boiler removed, cost £1200, seal area, poly tunnel to decontamination tent, and disposal. They don't muck about
i would just call a few companies out to quote it. they also tell u about they type of asbestos, process and cost.
Original Poster
NEtech

Can you not just take the whole door off as one unit without disturbing … Can you not just take the whole door off as one unit without disturbing the interior? Then just having to pay for the correct disposal?

i think this will be the cheapest and easiest solution. i probably need to get a quote for removing the whole door and taking it away.
If it is sealed inside the door then it would be no different taking the whole thing off as it would be opening and closing the door. Just leave the hinges on the door and remove them from the boiler surround.

If you feel it will disturb the panel then obviously do not mess about and get the pros in to do a proper job. But I really can't see any difference between opening and closing a door (as you state it is a boiler door) to removing the whole thing as one unit as you would only be touching the surround which from your description is not asbestos?
Edited by: "NEtech" 16th Nov 2014
council disposed of mine (drain pipes) but that was back in 2001.
was not the sort that makes floating fibers , most arent.
get professional to check , then see if council will take it.
https://www.gov.uk/asbestos-in-home.

if unlucky and its blue or other nasty sort you can still DIY but need a LOT more care.

our local council rules:-
cheltenham.gov.uk/inf…l/2
Just had a thought, if it would cost far too much to remove and you can source a new boiler cheaper then just get your local Gypsies to take your boiler and door away.

Job done.
You'd have to check it out and follow correct procedures/instructions but your local council should have an option to dispose of "complete boards"

gov.uk/asb…ome

My local council offers a "disposal service" for 60 but does not include collection. (but I know it has to be "wrapped up" correctly in blue polythene or similar.

Edited by: "philphil61" 16th Nov 2014
Original Poster
i looked on the council website and they don't offer disposal but they do have a contact for asbestos so i will contact them.
i am just uneasy about contacting the council as they have a habit of making a mountain out of a mole hill and so things just get more complicated than it need be.

they will just tell me to contact a registered asbestos disposal any way so no difference to what i will be doing.
I had this problem a few years ago and just took the door off , bagged it up and took it to my local council tip. They were happy enough to take it as it was securely bagged.
Edited by: "RxTx" 16th Nov 2014
Bury it in the garden.
Original Poster
pat915m

Bury it in the garden.

yes, i was thinking of how these are disposed of safely by the council and it must be bury them as then the fibres do not get airbourne and would become part of earth with time. I am thinking of getting it covered with an airtight wrapping, take the whole door off and just store it somewhere, like the shed????
if we are talking a board and you feel nervous about some dust it might produce , paint it (white gloss?), then don't break it while removing it.
Original Poster
beavisrules

if we are talking a board and you feel nervous about some dust it might … if we are talking a board and you feel nervous about some dust it might produce , paint it (white gloss?), then don't break it while removing it.

won't painting it disturb it?
You could always use a chain saw, it will not harm the chainsaw.
mutley1

won't painting it disturb it?

You could even just dampen it with a spray water bottle, but only if your 100% you can get it outside without disturbing it. If you don't feel safe, then don't do it. Its not worth the risk!
Just spray or paint it with unibond pva and leave it there(cheap option). Or do spray or paint it with pva. Leave it to dry then take it out and cover it in thick polythene sheeting (double wrapped ) and take it to your council dump. Some councils may charge some wont.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants