Expired

Anyone had experience using: "Kodi, MXQ, M9 Etc, The Android Ultimate Smart TV, USB Boxes" ?

Found 6th Feb 2016
Hi as anyone had any experience with these ultimate android TV boxes such as KODI, M9, MXQ & MXQ Pro 4K Etc... I know these have been around for some time, and 99% of them are chinese imports, some very mixed reviews, 100s of fakes on ebay it seems... but are they actually any good? what is the BEST one to buy? is it best to go for one with Android 4.4 or the New Android 5.1... they seem to be selling like hot-cakes on ebay, but are they actually worth the investment or are they just tech boxes that will only work for a limited time?

If you do have one where is the BEST site or ebay seller to buy a genuine one (posted from within the UK) ?
What is your experience with these supposedly ULTIMATE Android Smart TV Boxes?

Any help & info of these would be appreciated thanks
Community Updates
AskTVAndroidKodi
32 Comments
I've got a Amazon Fire TV on my main TV downstairs, side loaded with Kodi 15.2 and Andy's Build. Upstairs I have a cheap MXQ box I got for a bedroom TV that I purchased from EBay. It's okay, but I wiped the build on it and put on a fresh new one. To be honest we don't use it that much, just for the odd film or TV programme etc..

My personal advice would be to go for a good box if your budget allows. If I was buying again I would consider the M8S or maybe the T8 box.
After about a week of research I purchased the M8S+ last week and am very pleased with it. M8S and the plus version have been out a while, they have good reviews and are tried and tested. The M9 hasn't been out as long so I didn't bother with it. Go with Amazon for piece of mind.
Peace be with you .....
Kodi is free and installation guides on Internet. Box can be chosen by you. I am running it on an old pc otherwise useless!
I would recommend using amazon, even though most reviews there are biased and some fake. Pretty much all android boxes come with the same preloaded software and similar hardware specs.

Get a box with at least 2gb ram, amlogic CPU, USB /SD port, wifi and 16gb internal memory.

Ignore any words such as ultimate, 8 core, 4k, fully loaded, etc. Since all android boxes are the same, seller just uses these words to make their box sound better.
Ezrar

Since all android boxes are the same, seller just uses these words to … Since all android boxes are the same, seller just uses these words to make their box sound better.

Not true.
got both an MX III, and M8S
they're both as good as each other, although there can be some little 'quirks' that may or may not drive you nuts (don't bother me)
main one; my VPN refuses to work if the clock isn't manually set to exactly the right time.
I have absolutely no idea why, but there it is

great boxes though, would, and frequently do, recommend
Been using kodi for about 5 years there are lots of 'builds' out there that come with a load of pre installed apps. I wouldn't bother with any of them. Just stick to a select few which update from the developers repos direct. Much less clutter
rev6

Not true.

Explain, also I'm talking about boxes within the same price range, not comparing the cheap £30 to £100+ ones
Edited by: "Ezrar" 6th Feb 2016
Ezrar

Explain, also I'm talking about boxes within the same price range, not … Explain, also I'm talking about boxes within the same price range, not comparing the cheap £30 to £100+ ones

They can have different chipsets with different capabilities. H.265, UHD HW playback, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, etc.

If you do go for the M8S or similar, be sure to go for a deal with a wireless controller bundled in. The standard IR remote that is supplied will be next to useless.
IMHO based on experience of these boxes ...

M8S was nice while it worked but lasted 6 weeks - no contact from supplier

MXQ - similar to M8S and still working but remote is awful

Sumvision X4 - only 1GB RAM but rock solid and great remote ....

EliTom
rev6

They can have different chipsets with different capabilities. H.265, UHD … They can have different chipsets with different capabilities. H.265, UHD HW playback, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, etc.

As rev6 said they are not all the same. If you really want a box style go for something that has the new Amlogic S9xx series chipset which is much superior to the older S8xx series chipsets (in the 2gb ram variety). Something along the lines of the one below (not saying the cheapest example or anything just first I came across and cant be bothered looking any further!).

As Ftcom said if you want something with proper warranty and support etc go for an Amazon stick (if you have good wifi) or box. If you really want the best box you are talking an Nividia shield cira £130-£150.

The best of the cheap go down the Raspberry pi route with abit of work yourself with reasonable computer knowledge or up for the challenge.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-Vega-S95-Meta-Amlogic-S905-4K-TV-Box-2G-8G-2-4-5G-Dual-Band-WIFI-Bluetooth-1000M-LAN-XBMC-H-265-HDMI2-0-Miracast-OTA-359701.html

Upon saying that they are not all the same all these boxs are just clones of each other (within each chipset that is) so really every seller will be the same and more than likely don't ever be expecting OTA updates or a warranty that anyone will really stand over nor any support. Droidsticks do offer some support and are UK shop but more or less they are reselling the same boxs and collecting firmware links for you to access easily which you could find yourself anyhow with a few minutes on google then charging around 30%-50% more for the box.
I have a firestick works well.. nvidia shield is overkill just for kodi but I want one.. they look nice and are cool for games too. I'm running the paradox build formally TBB runs great!
I second the raspberry pi 2 great little device and easy to setup i also have a cubox i4pro in the living room it was a bit more expensive had a few teething problems with it but it seems to be running fine now. I have also setup a couple fire sticks this week too also great little devices for not much
Anfloyd

If you do go for the M8S or similar, be sure to go for a deal with a … If you do go for the M8S or similar, be sure to go for a deal with a wireless controller bundled in. The standard IR remote that is supplied will be next to useless.

oh God yeah, I forgot that bit
remote is awful, personally I'm using a wireless mouse with mine, best solution I've found
I have an m8s and runs everything very fast and no sideloading nonsense needed
niceguyrichy

oh God yeah, I forgot that bitremote is awful, personally I'm using a … oh God yeah, I forgot that bitremote is awful, personally I'm using a wireless mouse with mine, best solution I've found

An £8 airmouse with keyboard on the back is a far better solution
chocci

An £8 airmouse with keyboard on the back is a far better solution

had a mouse handy, it works fine, I'm happy :o)
cecilmcroberts

As rev6 said they are not all the same. If you really want a box style go … As rev6 said they are not all the same. If you really want a box style go for something that has the new Amlogic S9xx series chipset which is much superior to the older S8xx series chipsets (in the 2gb ram variety). Something along the lines of the one below (not saying the cheapest example or anything just first I came across and cant be bothered looking any further!).As Ftcom said if you want something with proper warranty and support etc go for an Amazon stick (if you have good wifi) or box. If you really want the best box you are talking an Nividia shield cira 168.89€ (£130)-194.87€ (£150.). The best of the cheap go down the Raspberry pi route with abit of work yourself with reasonable computer knowledge or up for the challenge. http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-Vega-S95-Meta-Amlogic-S905-4K-TV-Box-2G-8G-2-4-5G-Dual-Band-WIFI-Bluetooth-1000M-LAN-XBMC-H-265-HDMI2-0-Miracast-OTA-359701.htmlUpon saying that they are not all the same all these boxs are just clones of each other (within each chipset that is) so really every seller will be the same and more than likely don't ever be expecting OTA updates or a warranty that anyone will really stand over nor any support. Droidsticks do offer some support and are UK shop but more or less they are reselling the same boxs and collecting firmware links for you to access easily which you could find yourself anyhow with a few minutes on google then charging around 30%-50% more for the box.

Thanks for the link.
The best Android/Kodi box is the NVIDIA shield tv.

Using free streams aka "builds" or "fully loaded" boxes are for people who have no clue what they are doing & want a substandard streaming service.

Subscription based IPTV is the way forward.
ChrisUK

The best Android/Kodi box is the NVIDIA shield tv.Using free streams aka … The best Android/Kodi box is the NVIDIA shield tv.Using free streams aka "builds" or "fully loaded" boxes are for people who have no clue what they are doing & want a substandard streaming service.Subscription based IPTV is the way forward.

Honestly, so people that use builds or buy preloaded boxes have no clue aye ok and subscription iptv is the way forward bull, 5-10yrs down the line these paid subscriptions will be giving the same sub standard service like sky and the likes are now if these paid services are that good why is everybody going down the kodi route?
RabS1

Honestly, so people that use builds or buy preloaded boxes have no clue … Honestly, so people that use builds or buy preloaded boxes have no clue aye ok and subscription iptv is the way forward bull, 5-10yrs down the line these paid subscriptions will be giving the same sub standard service like sky and the likes are now if these paid services are that good why is everybody going down the kodi route?

Well you just made yourself look like an idiot. You do realise that a lot of these paid subs use Kodi as their platform?
ChrisUK

The best Android/Kodi box is the NVIDIA shield tv.Using free streams aka … The best Android/Kodi box is the NVIDIA shield tv.Using free streams aka "builds" or "fully loaded" boxes are for people who have no clue what they are doing & want a substandard streaming service.Subscription based IPTV is the way forward.

I use premier league pass on spinz build its excellent quality
RabS1

Honestly, so people that use builds or buy preloaded boxes have no clue … Honestly, so people that use builds or buy preloaded boxes have no clue aye ok and subscription iptv is the way forward bull, 5-10yrs down the line these paid subscriptions will be giving the same sub standard service like sky and the likes are now if these paid services are that good why is everybody going down the kodi route?

Because they don't want to pay an extortionate price for a tv package. The IPTV services are all Kodi based as well, but with being subscription based, can invest in good servers, support, new packages etc.

The free ones will come & go, they are totally unreliable & usually a substandard picture.
Thanks for all your info & comments guys its really helped me a lot, I am going to spend a little money an invest in a Matricom G-Box Q Quad/Octo Core XBMC/Kodi Android TV Box, the cheaper ones seem to be selling like hot cakes, on ebay some of these boxes are selling 200+ a day.... yet it seems spending a touch more money will be worth it, quality wise.... still I do not plan to invest more than £100 if I can help it... and should it all go tits up, I shall re-format the box and have a good tinker modding it to the max myself, I guess at the end of the day if you know what you are doing with advanced flashing & firmware procedures (which I am safe going ahead with) you can update it as time goes on.... I use to enjoy flashing mobile phones with modded firmware and only ever turned 1 phone into 1 brick... As for these Android Boxes I shall invest in one & as the future progresses I shall tinker with it myself....

Thanks guys really helpful.

Edited by: "lettherebedeals" 7th Feb 2016
lettherebedeals

Thanks for all your info & comments guys its really helped me a lot, I am … Thanks for all your info & comments guys its really helped me a lot, I am going to spend a little money an invest in a Matricom G-Box Q Quad/Octo Core XBMC/Kodi Android TV Box, the cheaper ones seem to be selling like hot cakes, on ebay some of these boxes are selling 200+ a day.... yet it seems spending a touch more money will be worth it, quality wise.... still I do not plan to invest more than £100 if I can help it... and should it all go tits up, I shall re-format the box and have a good tinker modding it to the max myself, I guess at the end of the day if you know what you are doing with advanced flashing & firmware procedures (which I am safe going ahead with) you can update it as time goes on.... I use to enjoy flashing mobile phones with modded firmware and only ever turned 1 phone into 1 brick... As for these Android Boxes I shall invest in one & as the future progresses I shall tinker with it myself....Thanks guys really helpful.

Save some money and get a M8S.
lidds

Well you just made yourself look like an idiot. You do realise that a lot … Well you just made yourself look like an idiot. You do realise that a lot of these paid subs use Kodi as their platform?

Tell me how i sound like an idiot the majority of people that are switching to kodi is to get access to free stuff not for paid subscriptions if you think otherwise you're the idiot.
ChrisUK

Because they don't want to pay an extortionate price for a tv package. … Because they don't want to pay an extortionate price for a tv package. The IPTV services are all Kodi based as well, but with being subscription based, can invest in good servers, support, new packages etc.The free ones will come & go, they are totally unreliable & usually a substandard picture.

Exactly people don't want to pay a load of cash for something when it can be had for free and i agree about them coming and going but i have been using xbmc/kodi coming up on 5yrs and never had a problem finding what i wanted in hd quality.
I disagree about people not wanting to pay for a god sub.

I have tried all the free ones, lots of buffering etc. Crap.

I paid £6 for a months access to a private sub, all HD channels. Fantastic value. Over 300 channels. Paid out £50 for the year right away
What sub do you use for £6 per month?
Once these paid subs become more popular and over saturated they will hike the prices up.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants