Anyone had fraud checks on their Lloyds bank card?

Found 3rd Oct 2015
Backstory, tried buying some £200-£500 items.

First website 2 weeks ago, I tried got a 'fraud check' text, which I replied 'yes' (it's me using it). The card was then blocked for use! That item was timed, and I lost out on the deal.

Spent 45 minutes on the phone proving who I am, being forwarded 4 times to the right department.

Tried this week, a different website, got the same text. Same thing happened, order had low stock, thought I had lost out again. Turns out it was being held until I got the card unlocked. Another 25 minutes on hold, but end result I got what I wanted! Finally.

Last night, £25 for a game code, new website again. Tried the code in steam, it's invalid. Company emails me saying my card is blocked. Didn't get any fraud texts/emails this time. So now today, the chore of proving my identity starts all over.

I love that Lloyds are being safe but... Seriously this is taking the biscuit. I am tempted to leave them if this keeps happening.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Card
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Card
9 Comments
Be happy they contacted you! Natwest used to just block my card when I had spent a high amount and not even bother telling me! I wouldn't find out until I tried to pay in a shop and my card got declined!
that would annoy the absolute feck out of me!
i am with HSBC and have mot been fraud checked for about 10 years and i buy quite a lot of high value items.

last time i got checked i was buying some pasties and cigs from my local store so about a £10 transaction ☺

it does seem strange for them to do this so many times i a short space
My friend had the same issue previously and had a major row with them using lawyer speak eventually they stopped fraud checking as he had to call every few weeks as he bought alot of stuff from Japan it would trigger. Was funny when his card got blocked without him knowing just before a big night out
I know it's a pain, but at least your bank is being vigilant. Perhaps you could pop into your branch and ask them to explain it properly ie why some purchases trigger the check. If your card was stolen I think you would be very pleased that the bank has high security measures.
I have been fraud checked once by Lloyds several weeks ago when buying a camera from John Lewis.
Original Poster
readingbrown99

I know it's a pain, but at least your bank is being vigilant. Perhaps you … I know it's a pain, but at least your bank is being vigilant. Perhaps you could pop into your branch and ask them to explain it properly ie why some purchases trigger the check. If your card was stolen I think you would be very pleased that the bank has high security measures.

There is vigilant then there is £25 fraud checks lol. But I have been instore twice about this and they have said, "yeh looks like a big amount, guess thats why", and "sometimes they just do random ones". Been with Lloyds for 10 years, not once had a check, now I get 3 in 2 weeks?

They defer me to go speak to the fraud hotline as they cannot do anything instore.

joshp

I have been fraud checked once by Lloyds several weeks ago when buying a … I have been fraud checked once by Lloyds several weeks ago when buying a camera from John Lewis.

Was that a first time purchase on the website?

emodan

My friend had the same issue previously and had a major row with them … My friend had the same issue previously and had a major row with them using lawyer speak eventually they stopped fraud checking as he had to call every few weeks as he bought alot of stuff from Japan it would trigger. Was funny when his card got blocked without him knowing just before a big night out

Jeez yeh I can see why that would come up but at least once the guy has explained the situation it should have been resolved.

b1505

Be happy they contacted you! Natwest used to just block my card when I … Be happy they contacted you! Natwest used to just block my card when I had spent a high amount and not even bother telling me! I wouldn't find out until I tried to pay in a shop and my card got declined!

That is my worry, this most recent time they havent contacted me. Its only because I complained to the selling website, that they replied to tell me that my card is now blocked.

pistol6000

that would annoy the absolute feck out of me!i am with HSBC and have mot … that would annoy the absolute feck out of me!i am with HSBC and have mot been fraud checked for about 10 years and i buy quite a lot of high value items.last time i got checked i was buying some pasties and cigs from my local store so about a £10 transaction ☺it does seem strange for them to do this so many times i a short space

If anything got in the way of me getting a pasty I don't even know what the result would be. Carnage most probably.
readingbrown99

I know it's a pain, but at least your bank is being vigilant. Perhaps … I know it's a pain, but at least your bank is being vigilant. Perhaps you could pop into your branch and ask them to explain it properly ie why some purchases trigger the check. If your card was stolen I think you would be very pleased that the bank has high security measures.

joshp

I have been fraud checked once by Lloyds several weeks ago when buying a … I have been fraud checked once by Lloyds several weeks ago when buying a camera from John Lewis.

emodan

My friend had the same issue previously and had a major row with them … My friend had the same issue previously and had a major row with them using lawyer speak eventually they stopped fraud checking as he had to call every few weeks as he bought alot of stuff from Japan it would trigger. Was funny when his card got blocked without him knowing just before a big night out

b1505

Be happy they contacted you! Natwest used to just block my card when I … Be happy they contacted you! Natwest used to just block my card when I had spent a high amount and not even bother telling me! I wouldn't find out until I tried to pay in a shop and my card got declined!

pistol6000

that would annoy the absolute feck out of me!i am with HSBC and have mot … that would annoy the absolute feck out of me!i am with HSBC and have mot been fraud checked for about 10 years and i buy quite a lot of high value items.last time i got checked i was buying some pasties and cigs from my local store so about a £10 transaction ☺it does seem strange for them to do this so many times i a short space

No, I have purchased from JL before, just not regulatory. Actually I just remembered that wasn't my first time because around 2 years ago they did decline and I missed out on a purchase. When I called and complained they apologized. I said that was not acceptable and that I would leave Lloyds, they offered £25 compensation.

However at that time I did not receive a text like this time. I only found out when I called them to check why it had been declined and they informed me it was fraud prevention.
Edited by: "joshp" 3rd Oct 2015
It's best to be safe than sorry though isn't it! It's an automated system that picks up on 'unusual' activity on your account. doesn't matter about amount as most fraudsters test with a £10 o2 top up so banks have to be very careful, and most times it works fine
I had it the other day with Halifax and got same text. I replied Yes and it worked fine
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants