Expired

Anyone had stainless steel exhaust fitted - and was it noisy

Found 1st Apr 2014
Need to replace exhausts in not too distant future and wondered about stainless steel.

I read stainless is noisier than bog standard, plus it can rust eventually, so is it worth it?

5 Comments

The noise level will be set on how you want it if you get one made for you.

You can go standard or performance.

The exhaust will outlive the car if made properly.

The cost is not much dearer and worth it if you are keeping the car.

We had one fiited to our Volvo 850, a "sporty" sound, but then got a larger silencer swapped in as it was a bit too boomy for us at certain revs.
Defintiely worth it if you're keeping the car

Original Poster

Thanks for replies markvirgo and cootuk2

I'm still not convinced stainless is the way to go.

I know about the different levels of noise available but what concerns me is the quieter version is not as quiet as original - at least thats what I heard.

I also heard that manufacturers are producing far better exhausts which last far longer, so is it really worth paying the extra for something which is nosier and lasts as long you own the car.
Edited by: "Askrulous" 2nd Apr 2014

I'm assuming your current exhaust is falling apart now? Have a look in the log history to see if it's been replaced before (if older car) or if under 5 or 6 years old, then assume its still the original. That way it will give you an idea how long a manufacture exhaust has/will last, compared to a stainless.

I've had a stainless in the past on my old Cavalier GSI for about 5 years and that still looked new like when I took it off and put on the replacement car, a Calibra, for another 4 years. I then sold on the full system for about half what I originally paid for it, as it still looked new. Years ago, 3 years would be the life of a standard exhaust, but I currently have a 2008 Vectra with the original exhaust system, with no signs of rusting yet.

Sporty exhaust notes tend to be when a performance air filter is fitted as well. If you go the stainless route, it will be a bit sporty, but not as much as you think, if you're still using the standard air filter.

As said by others, it really depends on how long you are keeping the car and you budget.

Original Poster

lester16v

I'm assuming your current exhaust is falling apart now? Have a look in … I'm assuming your current exhaust is falling apart now? Have a look in the log history to see if it's been replaced before (if older car) or if under 5 or 6 years old, then assume its still the original. That way it will give you an idea how long a manufacture exhaust has/will last, compared to a stainless.I've had a stainless in the past on my old Cavalier GSI for about 5 years and that still looked new like when I took it off and put on the replacement car, a Calibra, for another 4 years. I then sold on the full system for about half what I originally paid for it, as it still looked new. Years ago, 3 years would be the life of a standard exhaust, but I currently have a 2008 Vectra with the original exhaust system, with no signs of rusting yet.Sporty exhaust notes tend to be when a performance air filter is fitted as well. If you go the stainless route, it will be a bit sporty, but not as much as you think, if you're still using the standard air filter.As said by others, it really depends on how long you are keeping the car and you budget.

Thanks for your response lester16v, your use of a stainless is very impressive!

Years ago I used to have a mazda e2200 which I put a complete longlife stainless steel on, probably the shiniest part of the van now - I sold it 6 months (for surprisingly good money so easily paid for the stainless) later and only vaguely remember it being noisier than original (and that was the quiestest they had), so can't really use that as a gauge for what might be available now.

My 3 year old mercedes exhaust has a rattle from a loose baffle in the rear box and 10 year old toyota (both originals) has a slight blow, so there's no great urgency on either. But I hate any form of noise, so If it meant complete silence I'd happily replace both (for sensible money) with stainless.

I do think stainless is worth it money wise, if you either do what you did, or make the money back like I did. I also think its worth doing if you are after a sportier sound - but I'm not likely to do want/do any of the forementioned, so its not worth for me.

Edited by: "Askrulous" 2nd Apr 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text