Anyone had their young ones/themselves experience a 'black box' with their car insurance?

Found 22nd Jan 2013
My nephew has just passed his driving a few weeks ago, and is looking into car insurance. I've found the cheapest is co-op (CIS) which is around £1500 annually, but this smartbox is installed in the car. Anyone had any experience with these? Is the annual price likely to go higher with this box? Any opinions welcome
Community Updates
17 Comments
From what I've heard...
The black box is fine, however, break the speed limits, drive like a plonk and go out after a certain time they know this and they will certainly screw him over.
My boy got one in his car had it for two years now, his had no problems with it
ttwcd

My boy got one in his car had it for two years now, his had no problems … My boy got one in his car had it for two years now, his had no problems with it

Is he not allowed to drive after midnight till 6am that's what most of them say ?
It terrible they want all this now. I am sure we were just as bad when we were 17 - 20. The black box will record everything he does, the times, speed and erratic driving. The insurance will go down if he drives well all of the time but if he doesn't it will go up.
My old company started to install these into the company cars...Started as volunteers and as an aide I have now heard everyone will have to have one. Great for a company checking where you are and what your doing...
Original Poster
He is a good driver as I am the one who took him to his test however he goes out quite late. It is cheapest by a mile but no point if simply driving after a certain time can raise the annual fee!!!
I think they are a great idea though. Kids getting insurance now is nigh on impossible. I would lean towards getting my young un it when he gets older.

Its probably best to ring the company and ask them. They may be lenient with regards the driving hours.
It would be great if everyone had one so that good drivers saw their premiums drop to a bare minimum and bad drivers made up the deficit.
gr8h8me

My old company started to install these into the company cars.. Great … My old company started to install these into the company cars.. Great for a company checking where you are and what your doing...

Which is what they are paying your wages for!
When I get a car I don't think I'll be getting the black box and when my pager goes off I need to be out and down the station quick !!
Banned
These are such a stupid idea. Just another way to rake it in. Dam if I had one of these fitted my insurance would probably triple just on the amount of slow old dementia ridden honda cr-v drivers I overtake on the way to work.
Banned
These will stop people driving like total morons, ALL CARS SHOUD HAVE THESE along with dash cams.

Less death, injury, fraud and insurance premiums for ALL OF US, young and old.
Banned
Edit. As a parent you should be delighted with this. Stops your kid driving like an idiot to show off, which we all did when we were young, just not everybody makes it or the pedestrian that gets bounced off the bonnet.

Rant over
The one my son has does not state that he cannot drive after a certain time
Good concept, but big brother isn't for me.

Edit: especially at £1500! I wouldn't pay that to be watched and judged on principle!
Edited by: "Badders256" 22nd Jan 2013
My son had one, and it cut the cost of his insurance down a hell of a lot, he didn't drive during the nightime purely because he knew it would cost him dear, so good way to cut down on the chances of him driving around with his mates acting like a nob!

Would also recommend staying as a learner for at least the 1st 12 months, as the premuims are cheaper ( I guess because they're always accompanied by an experienced driver so again less likely to act a nob ) and then will also have earned a years no claims bonus, so once passed his test this helps to cut costs down even further.

It's still a fortune mind, but at least this way it's do-able
Edited by: "MrGrumpyman" 22nd Jan 2013
Banned
I once had a black box in the back of my car, she was a one night stand though http://mail.yimg.com/ok/u/assets/img/emoticons/emo6.gif
Banned
Badders256

Edit: especially at £1500! I wouldn't pay that to be watched and judged … Edit: especially at £1500! I wouldn't pay that to be watched and judged on principle!

It is not you that may be the problem brother it is the **** behind you or that pull out in front of you!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions