Anyone have a Sony Vaio E Series with 2 hdd's? Help needed plz :)

Found 12th Jul 2011
I have an E series Vaio with 1 hdd installed, and despite there being sufficient room on the drive mount for 2 hdds, the cable supplied only supports one.

There are 2 models that i know of in the same e series range which has this dual connector, these are

VPCEC3S1E/BJ
VPCEC1M1E

Sony in their stubborness will not seem to allow anyone to order this dual ribbon cable unless the laptop initially came with a dual drive! utterly rediculous! - i have tried many independant sellers and they all require my serial number, of course, when u supply this, my order is rejected as mine came with a single!

Anyone have an E Series with dual hdd? if so, any chance of a piccy?
could also do with the serial number! cheers

Thanks
Community Updates
9 Comments
whatsThePoint

Cable is around £100 buy a bigger main hd

i can get the cable for 50 quid delivered, problem is, they want my serial number

Getting a bigger hdd is not what i require, i want a SSD as a windows boot drive, and regular drive for storage, if i go for SSD only, the price for a large drive is horrendous

I could use a usb caddy, but they are just annoying and get in the way, and besides, there is ample room for another drive in the drive bay
Edited by: "Jace_Phoenix" 12th Jul 2011
whatsThePoint

So your saying you can't get the cable for £50 :|find a duel hd one on … So your saying you can't get the cable for £50 :|find a duel hd one on ebay and ask them the serial number so you can check up on it

Well, technically i guess you are right, but that is what i am trying to get here, is someone with a serial for the model with 2 hdd's.

Then i can get the cable i need for £50

Good idea with ebay, will give it a shot now. thanks

£50 for a second cable? Jesus. I think my Dell came with one for free.
dxx

£50 for a second cable? Jesus. I think my Dell came with one for free.

That's sony all over, its actually for the whole internal caddy with a dual connector, you can't just buy another cable, as the motherboard only has one connector, the dual proprietory cable replaces the single

whatsThePoint

Dell want around £50 for a caddy to hold a second hd in my laptop

Really? What model have you got?
dontasciime

You could go this route … You could go this route http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-SATA-2nd-HDD-caddy-9-5mm-Universal-CD-DVD-ROM-/140412101084http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-7mm-SATA-2nd-HDD-caddy-ACER-BENQ-HP-DELL-ASUS-/130396240750

Thanks, yeah i read about this option, but then i am without my bluray writer.
jayjayuk1234

Thanks, yeah i read about this option, but then i am without my bluray … Thanks, yeah i read about this option, but then i am without my bluray writer.

You could run that from usb eg sata to usb or a caddy or eSATA / eSATAp

I bought a couple of those 2nd HDD caddys a while ago as I put an SSD into my dell n5010 (pain in the a) with having to take practically the whole thing apart to fit / change a hard drive lol dell really are taf) and then I added a second ssd to it via the above method. (use a 1tb samsung F3 via eSATA) and usb caddy dvd writer and another caddy for Pioneer BDR 202) which sits on bottom shelf of black and chrome glass laptop stand I got from Zavvi a while back.
Edited by: "dontasciime" 12th Jul 2011
Thanks for suggestions, would still prefer to put the drive in the spare space inside the drive caddy, will look at alternatives as a last resort.

I have done more reading, and aparently the dual cable was included with those who opted for the 2 x 500gb hdd option when building their laptop.

If anyone did this, please let me know

Annoying that sony are refusing to send this to people who own the single cable, will have to choose a different manufacturer next time round, can't stand crap like that.

Thanks again

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants