anyone have any experience of "unlocking" a bedroom door with no key

Found 9th Oct 2012
The wife locked the bedroom door to keep the xmas prezzies safe and has lost the key.

The door lock i believe is a 3lever??

any tips apart from kicking the door in or a locksmiths
Community Updates
MiscDoor
110 Comments
Why would you want to kick in a locksmith's door ?
Get a locksmith out, and always have spare keys in future.
Put a large cat flap in.
I tend to hang about outside clubs. It's much easier.
unfortunately you will need a locksmith.

you can drill it but you would need to know where to drill.
Smash a hole in the wall next to the door big enough for you to fit through........ no damage to the door and no locksmith!
transit

Smash a hole in the wall next to the door big enough for you to fit … Smash a hole in the wall next to the door big enough for you to fit through........ no damage to the door and no locksmith!

and you were the one advising me on rewiring my bathroom extractor fan. X)
transit

Smash a hole in the wall next to the door big enough for you to fit … Smash a hole in the wall next to the door big enough for you to fit through........ no damage to the door and no locksmith!

Anyone know where i can get a sledgehammer/hippo bag and dust sheets using quidco or TCB
My advice - find the key!
ed1980

Anyone know where i can get a sledgehammer/hippo bag and dust sheets … Anyone know where i can get a sledgehammer/hippo bag and dust sheets using quidco or TCB

You just need to put a cycle helmet on and take a run up....or use the mrs.
miikeyblue

Damn i didnt think of that, cheers MB

Problem solved guys, cheers all
transit

You just need to put a cycle helmet on and take a run up....or use the … You just need to put a cycle helmet on and take a run up....or use the mrs.

not a bad idea
Use some lube. Sometimes due to uptightness doors get locked, lube will prevent the uptightness thus prevent situations like this from occurring.

Have no idea about the lock and the door though, sorry.
ed1980

Damn i didnt think of that, cheers MBProblem solved guys, cheers all

Happy to help! I'm not just a hat rack ya know
miikeyblue

my advice is not to have locks on internal doors.
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/ODB_69/5C93DC06-070D-4B5F-A1B0-0C649EC88349-750-0000009FDED981A3.jpg
ODB_69

are you accusing the OP of being locked out of their bedroom by his wife? X)
Any idea what type of door it is?

Depending on type & size it might be cheaper to destroy the current door and buy a replacement.
http://www.auburn.edu/~murraba/guides/flatstanley.gif
give flat stanley a ring and he will open the window and pass the presents to you.
If it's an internal door, unscrew it and remove it?
solitude

Great idea, now all the OP needs to do is teleport themselves so that they are on the inside and able to get to the screws/hinges! oO

As Nick Austin says, may be cheaper to replace door. Wickes have 4 panel ones for £13 odd ATM. (its on a deal on here somewhere)
nick1austin

Any idea what type of door it is?Depending on type & size it might be … Any idea what type of door it is?Depending on type & size it might be cheaper to destroy the current door and buy a replacement.

wooden solid door, 3lever lock. i also have ZERO diy skills,

Bro in law reckons IF i damage doorframe £10 max but IF i break the door & frame £40 max

Locksmiths £55 all in
solitude

How am i supposed to unscrew it?? the door is closed (cant get to the hinges)
You locked a bedroom door to keep presents safe?

Don't you have a loft?
Get the locksmith, then smash his back door in.
Who does Christmas shopping at the start of October?
get a ladder and go outside smash the window and climb in, then you can remove the door
ed1980

wooden solid door, 3lever lock. i also have ZERO diy skills, Bro in law … wooden solid door, 3lever lock. i also have ZERO diy skills, Bro in law reckons IF i damage doorframe £10 max but IF i break the door & frame £40 maxLocksmiths £55 all in

locksmith is gonna be the cheapest solution.
sancho1983

You locked a bedroom door to keep presents safe?Don't you have a loft?

O yeah i wondered what that empty space was.

Loft conversion 4th bedroom
Mallinersha

Who does Christmas shopping at the start of October?

October, i started in April
ed1980

October, i started in April

A typical amateur error. January is the month to do your xmas shopping in (_;)

make sure locksmith is "all in" u do not want "O this is not the lock u said this needs ..... and ...... that will be £200
miles136

make sure locksmith is "all in" u do not want "O this is not the lock u … make sure locksmith is "all in" u do not want "O this is not the lock u said this needs ..... and ...... that will be £200

lol, then that locksmith will be getting the "O this is not what you said on the phone so **** OFF" if you catch my drift
if it's a 3 lever mortice lock - drilling it will be more problematic but if cylinder (yale) lock it's easy to drill!!

as you've already stated "have ZERO diy skills" therefore the cheapest option (replacing door) is out of the question

as others have suggested - with a locksmith tell them the whole situation so you can fix the price - if he's an old school locksmith - he'll pick it in about 10 mins - if he's one of these noobs he'll drill or probably cut away the frame

make the call(s)
http://www.futfanatico.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Heres-Johnny.jpg
The door no doubt will open from the inside ,so you wont be able see the brass latch from the outside , if you could you may have been able to hacksaw using a padsaw type blade and saw through the brass latch between the door and the door frame. If you can get into the room ,through a open window for instance you may have been able to do the above .Depending on the type of property you may have been able to remove the door frame to saw through the lock from the outside , this would leave a 3 or 4 inch cut down the frame . Another way , you could jemmy the door at the hinge side , yes it would damage the frame pulling the screws on the hinge from the frame which could be repaired with fresh wood .
You've got a couple of months yet till Christmas hang tight and keep looking for the key, if come end of November the wife hasn't found the key call the locksmith in and do the backdoors in on both of them. Your own little 'Christmas Party'
Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 9th Oct 2012
ricko

The door no doubt will open from the inside ,so you wont be able see the … The door no doubt will open from the inside ,so you wont be able see the brass latch from the outside , if you could you may have been able to hacksaw using a padsaw type blade and saw through the brass latch between the door and the door frame. If you can get into the room ,through a open window for instance you may have been able to do the above .Depending on the type of property you may have been able to remove the door frame to saw through the lock from the outside , this would leave a 3 or 4 inch cut down the frame . Another way , you could jemmy the door at the hinge side , yes it would damage the frame pulling the screws on the hinge from the frame which could be repaired with fresh wood .

Not necessarily. Unless its a lock with a option to open it inside of the bedroom. If its a standard key lock it will remain locked in the frame whether the door is broken open or not. I would at least phone a locksmith if you are sure there is no chance of finding the key. See what sort of price they offer. Or if you can wait a few days, ie can live without getting in the room for a while, you may be able to summon up some help from a friend who has some diy skills
Depending on the lock you may be able to open it by forcing an old unused credit style card in the gap and pushing it in where the lock bolt is wiggling it to and fro to make the door open, this worked for me when I was locked out of my apartment last year
ricko

The door no doubt will open from the inside ,so you wont be able see the … The door no doubt will open from the inside ,so you wont be able see the brass latch from the outside , if you could you may have been able to hacksaw using a padsaw type blade and saw through the brass latch between the door and the door frame. If you can get into the room ,through a open window for instance you may have been able to do the above .Depending on the type of property you may have been able to remove the door frame to saw through the lock from the outside , this would leave a 3 or 4 inch cut down the frame . Another way , you could jemmy the door at the hinge side , yes it would damage the frame pulling the screws on the hinge from the frame which could be repaired with fresh wood .

The lock is the same on both sides of the door, it's not a Yale, the only way to describe the lock is a solid metal rectangle that slides into the door frame.

Going to phone my landlord in the morning to see if he will help
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants