Anyone have any information on the Plusnet cessation charge?

Found 10th Aug 2015
Hi does anyone have any information on the Plusnet cessation charge? that's not from there standard T&Cs, I've ended my current contract 3 weeks early due to the price increases and will be going with sky broadband, but Plusnet have informed me that a £30 cessation charge is payable, why is this charge needed? I have switched providers before and never had to pay it? Any Info would be great. Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
12 Comments

Have you got other services from PlusNet which haven't been subject to the price rise ?

I was under the impression this was only applicable if you are stopping the service completely on your line. IE. No longer receiving broadband at all. As you are switching, the switch process will continue the broadband with another supplier.

Original Poster

rogparki

Have you got other services from PlusNet which haven't been subject to … Have you got other services from PlusNet which haven't been subject to the price rise ?

No I have Home Phone and Broadband which are both included in the price increase

http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtml

On that page, it says:

Cessation charges don't apply if:
- You switch to a service that's part of the BT Wholesale network

Unless I'm mistaken, Sky is part of the same Openreach/BT network as Plusnet so you shouldn't have got a cessation charge, I think.

Original Poster

Not the case according to PlusNet the charge will still be applied due to the fact that BskyB isn't part of the BT wholesale network ?

heroesfan

I was under the impression this was only applicable if you are stopping … I was under the impression this was only applicable if you are stopping the service completely on your line. IE. No longer receiving broadband at all. As you are switching, the switch process will continue the broadband with another supplier.

my email from plusnet informing me of price changes included this paragraph.

We hope you're happy with Plusnet's award-winning products and services, … We hope you're happy with Plusnet's award-winning products and services, but if you do decide to leave because of these changes, we won't apply any early termination charges. All we ask is that you tell us within 30 days of getting this email and give us 14 days' notice.^ The changes will come into effect from 2nd September 2015, and you don't need to do a thing. You'll see the new charges on your first bill after that date.

Original Poster

that's what I thought but they are adamant that the charge will still apply, just need someone that has switched from PlusNet to sky to confirm

dreadzone101

http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtmlOn that page, it says:Cessation charges don't apply if:- You switch to a service that's part of the BT Wholesale networkUnless I'm mistaken, Sky is part of the same Openreach/BT network as Plusnet so you shouldn't have got a cessation charge, I think.

Original Poster

Unfortunately early termination charges and the cessation charge are 2 different things they have waived the early termination charges for me but the cessation is still active and can be seen on your account summary but fail to tell you about this charge

tardytortoise

my email from plusnet informing me of price changes included this … my email from plusnet informing me of price changes included this paragraph.

dreadzone101

http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/cessation_charges.shtmlOn that page, it says:Cessation charges don't apply if:No ,Sky is separate as is Virgin Talk Talk etc . PlusNet are owned by BT . I should ring them and tell them that in accordance with the email and their T&Cs they cannot charge you a cessation charge as they have changed your contract .- You switch to a service that's part of the BT Wholesale networkUnless I'm mistaken, Sky is part of the same Openreach/BT network as Plusnet so you shouldn't have got a cessation charge, I think.

rogparki

I thought at first, you had accidentally quoted me and didn't notice your reply in the middle of the quote, till now.

Hmmm, I think BT Wholesale refers to the network infrastructure whereas BT Consumer/Retail is the part of BT that has Plusnet as a subsidiary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Wholesale
"BT Wholesale is a division of BT Group responsible for the wholesale leasing of PSTN lines, broadband services and other telephony services to retail customers such as BT Retail, EE and Zen Internet."

But on that note, it does appear Sky is LLU instead of PSTN, so a different type but according to this post about switching Plusnet to Sky, it says PSTN to LLU still shouldn't be charged. *Shrugs*

dreadzone101

I thought at first, you had accidentally quoted me and didn't notice your … I thought at first, you had accidentally quoted me and didn't notice your reply in the middle of the quote, till now.Hmmm, I think BT Wholesale refers to the network infrastructure whereas BT Consumer/Retail is the part of BT that has Plusnet as a subsidiary.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Wholesale"BT Wholesale is a division of BT Group responsible for the wholesale leasing of PSTN lines, broadband services and other telephony services to retail customers such as BT Retail, EE and Zen Internet."But on that note, it does appear Sky is LLU instead of PSTN, so a different type but according to this post about switching Plusnet to Sky, it says PSTN to LLU still shouldn't be charged. *Shrugs*

Yes ,sorry , I did notice that -not sure why - Must admit I'm as confused as anyone about what counts as changing a contract - I suspect all you can do is bend the ear of customer service and if not happy complain to Offcom
Edited by: "rogparki" 10th Aug 2015

If sky is being provided over fiber then the cessation charge is to recover and cease your broadband equipment. If its still going to be over the copper bt telephone line then this is LLU and you shouldn't be charged.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions