Anyone have Electric only flats?

Posted 10th Mar
Looking at 2 bedroom flat Electric only.

Reading online is hard to guage as the sites you read are shops selling electric heaters so want to hear from people who actually are living with electric only heating?

Is it bad? (expensive)

I get that the extra amount it costs to heat the flat in the 5 month period can easily be recouped from not having to pay for boiler repairs ect, but want to hear it from the horses mouth?

Flat has good insulation and is only 30 years old
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
My flat used to be just electric, it never got comfortably warm and was really expensive, neighbours who’ve rented others always complained of the cold.since getting central heating,it feels like a different flat, I’ve always just had a yearly boiler service, never needed repair. Boilers 12 years old, still going strong.....
I have a tenant in a flat with programmable flat panel heaters. There is no gas in the area at all so this is the only option. She tells me it costs about 23p per day per heater, if they are on from 4pm until 10pm which is quite reasonable I suppose.
I stayed in a two bedroom flat with electric storage heaters. Paid £200 a month for electricity, flat rate throughout the year. Place was never comfortably warm enough.

Also stayed in a two bedroom house with gas central heating and paid £80 a month for both gas and electric and received money back as I was paying to much.

I would say it costs 3 times as much with only electric.
666FU11/03/2020 00:09

I stayed in a two bedroom flat with electric storage heaters. Paid £200 a …I stayed in a two bedroom flat with electric storage heaters. Paid £200 a month for electricity, flat rate throughout the year. Place was never comfortably warm enough. Also stayed in a two bedroom house with gas central heating and paid £80 a month for both gas and electric and received money back as I was paying to much. I would say it costs 3 times as much with only electric.

I believe this but storage heaters would deiniflty be ripped out and put in a better ststem, so more looking for comparisment of people who have got more up to date heating systems, iE underfloor heating, newer heating panels
Edited by: "Gumbon" 11th Mar
I have an electric only flat. Luckily I'm on the 3rd floor of a 7 floor building and in a middle flat. Because of the good insulation I never actually use my heating (very rarely in the winter) because once the other flats get heated then mine does also. In fact if I turn my heating on, my flat becomes too hot (mind you the downside is that the summers were brutal until I installed ceiling fans). My monthly electric bill year round is about £30/35 p/m. However about 2 years ago the flat below me and on the side of me were both vacant at the same time during the winter so I had to use my heating and my bill went up to £150 p/m.

So I guess I'd have to say its expensive to be electric only unless your flat is well insulated and in a good position in the building. Whenever I do move again, it will definitely be into a flat with gas.
I agreed in Jaestar, I lived in an electric flat for a year and never turned it on. I was ok the 5th floor and had good insulation. Built in early 00s so never needed to. Only think I hated was the electric hob always prefer gas
ArcadeAssassin10/03/2020 22:36

I have a tenant in a flat with programmable flat panel heaters. There is …I have a tenant in a flat with programmable flat panel heaters. There is no gas in the area at all so this is the only option. She tells me it costs about 23p per day per heater, if they are on from 4pm until 10pm which is quite reasonable I suppose.

I can assure you it'll cost more than 23p a day per heater. Most heaters are around 2 kwh. Electric costs around 14p per kwh on average so it would cost 28p an hour for a 2 kwh heater.

Electric is more expensive than gas, Storage heaters are ok if you're in mostly in the day but expensive and a waste of energy if you're at work. Also have to consider your emersion heater etc.. Although most storage heaters usually charge up during the night on cheap rate electricity if it is economy 7.
.MUFC.11/03/2020 14:15

I can assure you it'll cost more than 23p a day per heater. Most heaters …I can assure you it'll cost more than 23p a day per heater. Most heaters are around 2 kwh. Electric costs around 14p per kwh on average so it would cost 28p an hour for a 2 kwh heater.Electric is more expensive than gas, Storage heaters are ok if you're in mostly in the day but expensive and a waste of energy if you're at work. Also have to consider your emersion heater etc.. Although most storage heaters usually charge up during the night on cheap rate electricity if it is economy 7.

But the heaters aren’t on permanently for the 6hrs that she uses them for though are they. Like an electric oven they heat to temperature then stop, turn back on when it cools slightly. We installed the most efficient ones we could find at the time.
ArcadeAssassin11/03/2020 15:07

But the heaters aren’t on permanently for the 6hrs that she uses them for t …But the heaters aren’t on permanently for the 6hrs that she uses them for though are they. Like an electric oven they heat to temperature then stop, turn back on when it cools slightly. We installed the most efficient ones we could find at the time.

Electric heaters are all 100% efficient. 23p they certainly can't be on long.
Just read up on "Fischer future heat", as seen in back of newspaper ads … never a good sign when they tell you everything but the price!
They are NOT "storage heaters" so that brings into question any claims compared to other systems.
Storage heaters charge up using a cheaper night rate tariff, but that usually means a more expensive day rate. You have to predict if you will need them the next day, and if you don't, then that charge is wasted. Given the heat capacity of the materials, you really can't have a small storage heater

The remaining types can pretty much be classed as fast acting:
Radiant heaters, near immediate heat, glow, dangerously hot, possible burnt dust smell on starting after being idle for some time.
Convector heaters, also likely to produce burnt dust smell on first use, may have a booster fan option.

Slower acting:
Oil filled radiators, clay core radiators (Fisher and others)
matth999912/03/2020 01:40

Just read up on "Fischer future heat", as seen in back of newspaper ads … n …Just read up on "Fischer future heat", as seen in back of newspaper ads … never a good sign when they tell you everything but the price!They are NOT "storage heaters" so that brings into question any claims compared to other systems.Storage heaters charge up using a cheaper night rate tariff, but that usually means a more expensive day rate. You have to predict if you will need them the next day, and if you don't, then that charge is wasted. Given the heat capacity of the materials, you really can't have a small storage heaterThe remaining types can pretty much be classed as fast acting:Radiant heaters, near immediate heat, glow, dangerously hot, possible burnt dust smell on starting after being idle for some time.Convector heaters, also likely to produce burnt dust smell on first use, may have a booster fan option.Slower acting:Oil filled radiators, clay core radiators (Fisher and others)

Can't modern storage heaters be more controlled? IE don't charge up tonight, or let more heat out evening time ect?

If was to go without anytype of storage heaters it would make sense to not have economy 7 for sure
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants