Anyone have experience of cleaning/restoring sandstone exterior window sills?

Found 3rd Aug 2015
I'm looking to restore my now weathered and tired looking sandstone sills on the front of my house. To date I've been given advice to pressure wash it - not keen as I worry about causing damage - or paint with masonry paint.

I guess before I go out and splurge £30-40 on a tin of Sandtex, I wanted to check with the guys and gals of the hukd community for any experience, advice or recommendations.

Has anyone had any success with any type of cleaning solution and good 'ol elbow grease? If anyone has used a pressure washer, any tips? Is Sandtex the best? Or should I just get a professional in?

Anyway, any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Community Updates
AskCleaningWindows
4 Comments
sandstone tends to be quite porous, if u do use any water based system of paint removal leave a month or two (weather depending) to dry out and for any salt efflorescence.
Original Poster
maddogb

sandstone tends to be quite porous, if u do use any water based system of … sandstone tends to be quite porous, if u do use any water based system of paint removal leave a month or two (weather depending) to dry out and for any salt efflorescence.

​Thanks. I should add, my sills and surrounds aren't currently painted and never have been. They're just the original/natural sandstone. This is my worry about a pressure washer, the fact it's very porous. But I also don't want to paint and lose its natural texture. When you say to leave it for a month or two, I presume you mean before then painting?
UniquelyMoi247

​Thanks. I should add, my sills and surrounds aren't currently painted a … ​Thanks. I should add, my sills and surrounds aren't currently painted and never have been. They're just the original/natural sandstone. This is my worry about a pressure washer, the fact it's very porous. But I also don't want to paint and lose its natural texture. When you say to leave it for a month or two, I presume you mean before then painting?

yup that's what i meant but if you decide not to paint its no issue.
what exactly is the problem with it, traffic film? if so just try a soapy solution and hand scrubbing brush first.

Edited by: "maddogb" 4th Aug 2015
Original Poster
maddogb

yup that's what i meant but if you decide not to paint its no issue. … yup that's what i meant but if you decide not to paint its no issue. what exactly is the problem with it, traffic film? if so just try a soapy solution and hand scrubbing brush first.

​Yeh pretty much just looking grubby. I live on very quiet cul-de-sac but it's likely around 18yrs of build up of dirt and grime, traffic and weather since the houses were built. Yeh I was afraid I might have to do that, I was just hoping someone would know of a magic cleaner to bring it up like new, ha! Ah well I will try back to basics first. Cheers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions