Anyone have flies/ bluebottles appear in the house?

Posted 30th Nov 2021 (Posted 6 h, 1 m ago)
having trouble with house flies and some bluebottles past couple weeks. some days we could catch 6 or 7, some days 1 or 2, (usually by Henry the hoover). just don't know where they are coming from. I've checked anywhere I can for dead things, no funny smells around either. I've sanitised sinks and drains best I can. I'm starting to go crazy, and my pet lab is going insane. Recently my rotten decking was lifted, and there's a broken drain cover right outside kitchen window, wondering if that could have something in it. (don't fancy putting my hand down there)!! edit... can flies or maggots come up through an outside drain?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
13 Comments
  1. Avatar
    We had this problem years ago. Turns out it was a dead rat in our loft! We had a pest control bloke out because of the flies, and he found it
  2. Avatar
    Author
    ncd30/11/2021 07:46

We had this problem years ago. Turns out it was a dead rat in our loft! We …We had this problem years ago. Turns out it was a dead rat in our loft! We had a pest control bloke out because of the flies, and he found it

Nasty, was there hoardes of flies or a few appearing now and again?
  3. Avatar
    Big_Rik30/11/2021 07:59

Nasty, was there hoardes of flies or a few appearing now and again?

It was about 5 or 6 at a time. I thought they were coming through our bathroom window but checked outside and nothing there.
  4. Avatar
    ncd30/11/2021 08:04

It was about 5 or 6 at a time. I thought they were coming through our …It was about 5 or 6 at a time. I thought they were coming through our bathroom window but checked outside and nothing there.

any dead grass in the grass bin outside maybe?
  5. Avatar
    Author
    kevlfc30/11/2021 09:10

We actually noticed a lot of maggots around the compost/grass/ food bin a month or so ago. Tried to disinfect it best we could and move it away from house, but maybe some did escape. Can flies get in through an outside drain, or is the u bend meant to stop that?
  6. Avatar
    kevlfc30/11/2021 09:10

No, we don't have any grass at the front or back of our house, well apart from the grass verges, but this happened during the winter when the council hadn't cut the grass for ages.
  7. Avatar
    You'll have something dead somewhere. The flies will go after a week or two depending on how big the creature was.
    You should check around your property for means of entry and block if necessary.
  8. Avatar
    Although you could have a dead mouse, rat or bird in the loft or under the floor, flies will try to get into houses anyway this time of year to escape the colder weather, they can't get past the u-bend in a drain but they can squeeze into very small gaps around windows and doors, and even if they can't get all the way through they will hide in there and then fly into your house when the door / window is next opened. I get a few each day.
    Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 2 h, 46 m ago
  9. Avatar
    Do you have any fireplaces with gas fires fires in them, or boarded up, you might get birds falling down the chimney if there isn't a grill on it and not make it out.
  10. Avatar
    Author
    Delbert.Grady30/11/2021 09:50

Although you could have a dead mouse, rat or bird in the loft or under the …Although you could have a dead mouse, rat or bird in the loft or under the floor, flies will try to get into houses anyway this time of year to escape the colder weather, they can't get past the u-bend in a drain but they can squeeze into very small gaps around windows and doors, and even if they can't get all the way through they will hide in there and then fly into your house when the door / window is next opened. I get a few each day.

Ah, well hopefully that's it, REALLY hoping that's it. Letting the dog into back garden 4 or 6 times a day through back door maybe doesn't help
  11. Avatar
    Check the little draught things above the windows (if you have them). If the mesh is damaged they could get in there. Though unlikely they will all find that way in unless they follow the heat source. As shown in the picture.
    46262688-3RDNQ.jpg
  12. Avatar
    Author
    Ringfinger30/11/2021 12:50

Check the little draught things above the windows (if you have them). If …Check the little draught things above the windows (if you have them). If the mesh is damaged they could get in there. Though unlikely they will all find that way in unless they follow the heat source. As shown in the picture.[Image]

What u doing in my house??
  13. Avatar
    Ringfinger30/11/2021 12:50

Check the little draught things above the windows (if you have them). If …Check the little draught things above the windows (if you have them). If the mesh is damaged they could get in there. Though unlikely they will all find that way in unless they follow the heat source. As shown in the picture.[Image]

This↑↑↑ and open any south facing windows to check if any flies are trying to over winter on the black rubber seals of the windows, you'll be surprised how common this is especially if you live in a rural area or near any sort of industry that can attract flies.
    Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 3 m ago
Post a comment
Top Merchants