Anyone heard of this type of scam

Posted 10th Aug 2020
Hi I have a business and just received this dodgy email definitely a scam as I would never run £1500 through card reader like that has any other businesses received something like this. I have taken a few details out

“I will prepay you directly with my credit card but before I do so, I want to make a humble request. I have contacted a mover(shipper) to make arrangements for the air flight tickets and other package to bring my ... down to your address. I have already concluded arrangements with him pending the receipt of his funds in the amount of (£1000) and I’m not able to pay him directly because he does not accept credit card. Unfortunately, I’m unable to make bank transfer to neither him nor you due to my present sailing location.
On this note, I hereby authorize that you use your credit card machine and charge my card for a total amount of £1551 plus tax.
When you receive the funds in your account, deduct and keep your fee of £551 and send the balance money to the shipper via a swift bank transfer. I will provide you with the shipper’s bank details. All taxes, bank charges and commissions will be deducted from his fee before the transfer is made.
Kindly confirm this arrangement and get back to me with your NAME, ADDRESS and PHONE NUMBER for my records.
Warm Regards,
Note:I will tell my shipping agent to bring ... record up to date”
“The Will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you”
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I DON'T UNDERSTAND. How thick do you have to be to fall for this kind of scam? I could understand if the internet was new but after 20 years, c'mon!
41633796-E6kiG.jpg
"I’m unable to make bank transfer to neither him nor you due to my present sailing location."

Man's out at sea, cut him a break
100% scam. Avoid at All cost.
21 Comments
100% scam. Avoid at All cost.
This is what I would reply:

Ok
Warmer Regards.
Edited by: "Zero.Chill" 10th Aug
I don't have a business so apologies if you only wanted to hear from those who do, but it sounds like a variant of the Facebook/Gumtree etc. scams that people ask about. I think they usually ask you to send an item to a friend/courier because they can't get it/receive it for 'X, Y, Z' reason, and then you would end up getting a fake invoice and will have lost money and potentially the item if you fall for their

Is it possible for you to report them for fraudulent behaviour to whichever company is providing the card reader/transfer services? Regardless, I'd say 100% scam and hard swerve.
Edited by: "Becks22" 11th Aug
Zero.Chill10/08/2020 23:07

This is what I would reply:OkWarmer Regards.

I'd ask them if their sister, the blessed Princess Zariah Adanma, finally got married after they sent out 22 billion email proposals & offering in excess of $800 trillion for her hand.
Edited by: "Gollywood" 10th Aug
I DON'T UNDERSTAND. How thick do you have to be to fall for this kind of scam? I could understand if the internet was new but after 20 years, c'mon!
It’s obviously a scam if you read it again and it says “shipper and sailing location “, we are in UK not USA
Calaisjar10/08/2020 23:17

I DON'T UNDERSTAND. How thick do you have to be to fall for this kind of …I DON'T UNDERSTAND. How thick do you have to be to fall for this kind of scam? I could understand if the internet was new but after 20 years, c'mon!

The figures suggest plenty do.
Misslovely10/08/2020 23:18

It’s obviously a scam if you read it again and it says “shipper and sai …It’s obviously a scam if you read it again and it says “shipper and sailing location “, we are in UK not USA

Too many boating references
I could really do with that £551 right now. What are the contact details for this man?
Surely it's just a stolen credit card (or even a legitimate one which they will then report the transaction as fraudulent to CC company for a chargeback)

As mentioned above it sounds like the old gumtree scam just changed a little bit.

Scam bait them for a giggle if you have some time to kill. That also keeps them preoccupied and potentially unable to scam someone else for a while
a scam and not even a good one at that.

reminds me of the really bad one my husband got about a chest of gold found at the bottom of the ocean, and the guy would share the profits if my husband sends him money to pay for the retrieval of the gold chest
mutley110/08/2020 23:24

a scam and not even a good one at that. reminds me of the really bad one …a scam and not even a good one at that. reminds me of the really bad one my husband got about a chest of gold found at the bottom of the ocean, and the guy would share the profits if my husband sends him money to pay for the retrieval of the gold chest

At least that sounds original.
PAISAL10/08/2020 23:27

At least that sounds original.

my husband replied to him to say that he would send money to pay for the retrieval of the chest on one condition,

that he can have the wooden chest as he is keen collector of wooden gold chests, but he doesn't want the gold so the guy has to keep all the gold.

never heard anything back
Your title should be is this ANOTHER scam there is thousands of them flying around it’s making me mad!
41633747-w8s1R.jpg
This was the dodgy email address
I’m just so unsure how people fool for it because for one I would certainly not be handing over a grand cash to his “agent”
41633796-E6kiG.jpg
"I’m unable to make bank transfer to neither him nor you due to my present sailing location."

Man's out at sea, cut him a break
Classic money mule scam
I wonder who you can report people like this to.
Post a comment
@
    Text