Anyone help with mechanical problem with a ford mondeo

Found 15th Apr 2012
I have recently purchased (1week ago) a 2002 ford mondeo with 105000 on the clock.
As I was driving it today it started to judder just a little, then 2 miles later as I was going up a small hill the power just died! The engine was still running and ticking over but with the accelerator peddle flat on the floor, it did nothing,I put it in 1st and with the clutch down get the engine to rev again, but as soon as I tried to climb the hill again it just died again. I managed to turn the car around facing down the hill and started again.l all good for about 30 seconds then the power just died again even on the flat. turned off the ignition pondering what to do, waited 30 seconds then started it again and all was fine again for 3-4 miles then the same problem! Anyone have any ideas what is the problem?
Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
MiscFordMovie
15 Comments
I see the problem... It's a blue oval.
But on a serious note. Goto a garage & get the code read. It will most likely be something like Crankshaft position sensor giving off a bad reading. Posting on here will do nothing to solve it except give the advice to get the error codes read.
Is it petrol or diesel?

Possible EGR valve.
Original Poster
unquestioned

But on a serious note. Goto a garage & get the code read. It will most … But on a serious note. Goto a garage & get the code read. It will most likely be something like Crankshaft position sensor giving off a bad reading. Posting on here will do nothing to solve it except give the advice to get the error codes read.

Thanks for the advice.
Original Poster
PeteHerts

Is it petrol or diesel?Possible EGR valve.

Petrol 2000cc
High mileage and 10 years old. Why did you buy it?
gbspurs

Probably because it was cheap & not everyone is able to buy a new car every couple of years...

Damn poor people

(I have an old & a new car, new cars are boring)
Edited by: "unquestioned" 15th Apr 2012
Also worth looking at this thread and site below.

Ford Forum
I don't know how mechanically minded you are, but it could be an air flow meter fault, try un-plugging it & see if it goes any better. it'll look something like the one in the pic, it attaches to the air filter housing.

http://www.onlineautomotive.co.uk/ProductImages/MAFS033.jpg
gbspurs

Not really high mileage though is it for a 10 year old car, 10.5K a year is average.

I've seen Mondeo's with over 200k on the clock that still run very well...!!!

Providing a cars maintained it'll last a lot longer.

Anyway op, EGR valve is a common issue on the Mondeo, Could be a fuel pump or a multitude of problems including a faulty MAS.

I recall having a similar issue, Well it kept spluttering, Turned out to be dodgy fuel...!!
shauneco

Not really high mileage though is it for a 10 year old car, 10.5K a year … Not really high mileage though is it for a 10 year old car, 10.5K a year is average.I've seen Mondeo's with over 200k on the clock that still run very well...!!!Providing a cars maintained it'll last a lot longer.Anyway op, EGR valve is a common issue on the Mondeo, Could be a fuel pump or a multitude of problems including a faulty MAS.I recall having a similar issue, Well it kept spluttering, Turned out to be dodgy fuel...!!

Does the mondeo petrol have an egr valve? These are egr symptoms but im not sure.

You need to take it to a garage and have the codes read, this sounds a lot like a sensor malfunction, if not the sensor will tell you what it is. It could be loads of different things but a diagnostic scan should tell you more.
There used to be a sensor that went in fords which was something to do with the speed sensor in the gears, this also caused the issue, honestly it could be anything.
aircanman

Does the mondeo petrol have an egr valve? These are egr symptoms but im … Does the mondeo petrol have an egr valve? These are egr symptoms but im not sure. You need to take it to a garage and have the codes read, this sounds a lot like a sensor malfunction, if not the sensor will tell you what it is. It could be loads of different things but a diagnostic scan should tell you more.

The 2.0 Duratec engine has one.
someone had a similar at work and it turned out to be the clutch needed replacing.
My old S reg lasted me a couple of years then the auto gearbox went on 76,000 miles!
Take my advice and get a 5 Series. May be a bit more on the insurance and would be nice to have mates who can sevice it but you'll have alot more motoring for your money in the long run.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants