Anyone here know a bit about cars? Thinking of buying a CAT C - the accident damage pictures don't look too bad. Can anyone offer their opinion?

Found 14th Nov 2017
I can't quite believe this is only CAT C damage.

2827581-wjE97.jpg2827581-a3wj4.jpg2827581-3xBDB.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
Why would you want to buy a write off? It will cost you a fortune to get it running
don't know if you haven't been given the full set of pictures or just excluded some but this will, at minimum, need
passenger wing
rear door
passenger door
airbags (potentially covers)
some plastics
potentially front bumper

that's minimum, then you have to think about how the car is mechanically and structurally
Babbabooey9 m ago

Why would you want to buy a write off? It will cost you a fortune to get …Why would you want to buy a write off? It will cost you a fortune to get it running

The work has already been done, These are just the before pictures
murtgurge4 m ago

don't know if you haven't been given the full set of pictures or just …don't know if you haven't been given the full set of pictures or just excluded some but this will, at minimum, need passenger wingrear doorpassenger doorairbags (potentially covers)some plasticspotentially front bumperthat's minimum, then you have to think about how the car is mechanically and structurally

These are the before pictures, the work has already been done
Edited by: "cossy3" 14th Nov 2017
So someone else had repaired a cat C car and is selling it on? For what price ?
cossy313 m ago

These are the before pictures, the work has already been done

oh I get you, well here is the full set of pictures
copart.co.uk/lot…07/

but if the works been done and it's all passed then really you are fine to buy it as long as you are getting a good price, and don't expect to get the value of a non-write off when you do sell it in the future

the downside really is you don't know the full extent of the damage (unless they supply all repair info), and in order to maximise their profit they likely used cheaper parts to get it back on the road - but most of the time that won't matter unless it's something important that you don't want to cheap out on
murtgurge12 m ago

oh I get you, well here is the full set of …oh I get you, well here is the full set of pictureshttps://www.copart.co.uk/lot/38872507/but if the works been done and it's all passed then really you are fine to buy it as long as you are getting a good price, and don't expect to get the value of a non-write off when you do sell it in the futurethe downside really is you don't know the full extent of the damage (unless they supply all repair info), and in order to maximise their profit they likely used cheaper parts to get it back on the road - but most of the time that won't matter unless it's something important that you don't want to cheap out on

Christ. How did you manage to find the car from that info!?

That's awesome, thanks. The work has been done and of course it looks fine in the pictures but would there be any structural damage in your opinion from those pictures?
Babbabooey15 m ago

So someone else had repaired a cat C car and is selling it on? For what …So someone else had repaired a cat C car and is selling it on? For what price ?

A lot less than it should be!
cossy350 m ago

Christ. How did you manage to find the car from that info!?That's awesome, …Christ. How did you manage to find the car from that info!?That's awesome, thanks. The work has been done and of course it looks fine in the pictures but would there be any structural damage in your opinion from those pictures?

I would say so. One wheel is turned while the other is straight, but worse than that the near off side front wheel is sticking way out from the arch. I wouldn't touch it.
craigstephens13 m ago

I would say so. One wheel is turned while the other is straight, but worse …I would say so. One wheel is turned while the other is straight, but worse than that the near off side front wheel is sticking way out from the arch. I wouldn't touch it.

Thanks, it’s good to get someone’s else’s opinion as I’m a bit clueless on cars. Just looked like bodywork stuff to me which I’d have been ok with
Edited by: "cossy3" 14th Nov 2017
craigstephens18 m ago

I would say so. One wheel is turned while the other is straight, but worse …I would say so. One wheel is turned while the other is straight, but worse than that the near off side front wheel is sticking way out from the arch. I wouldn't touch it.

And? All that means is probably a track rod is bent or snapped or the suspension arm. This will have been replaced when it was repaired.
123batman32112 m ago

And? All that means is probably a track rod is bent or snapped or the …And? All that means is probably a track rod is bent or snapped or the suspension arm. This will have been replaced when it was repaired.

Doesn’t that depend on who did the work? From what I can see there is no stringent test on a a cat C/D going back on the road.
Check with your insurance too, some won't insure cat c/d or at least add a penalty
Seen the pictures. As its a Cat C not D and both front airbags have been deployed, I think I would give it a miss (side airbags(s) as well. Also the way the front door is bent out would worry me. Steer clear.
123batman3211 h, 16 m ago

And? All that means is probably a track rod is bent or snapped or the …And? All that means is probably a track rod is bent or snapped or the suspension arm. This will have been replaced when it was repaired.

You don't get a wheel that far out without chassis damage. I'd definitely walk away
craigstephens59 m ago

You don't get a wheel that far out without chassis damage. I'd definitely …You don't get a wheel that far out without chassis damage. I'd definitely walk away

I think he's probably mot'd a few cat C's in his time.
Bet the chassis bent like a banana underneath
4 years old and a uneconomical repair on a 10k car , I'd walk away
Has has 3 owners already
Not got a lot going for it tbh
They also changed it from cat c and d to s and n , wtf was wrong with a b c d
  • A: Scrap
  • B: Break
  • S: Structurally damaged repairable
  • N: Non-structurally damaged repairable
I buy cat c & d cars for my own and family use, cat c/d depend a lot on value of repair compared to value of repaired vehicle so an older car or high mileage would have a lower value but still a high repair cost if done professionally new parts, proper spray job,
I would not buy this vehicle,
major body work required more than i would go for and mechanical & defo not touch a car where airbags need replacing
Questions to think about?
Does it have traceable service & mot history(both can be faked)
Why is the seller, selling it to they buy damaged cars & sell them on
Does it have 2 keys(check this), wheel lock nuts for the alloys
Take a mechanic with you
We bought 2013 cat d Ibiza in 2015, never missed a beat and MOT passed without any warnings
Airbags normally go off in a heavy impact, and cost about £2k to fix. I would worry if they have actually been replaced
mrwhitelabel14th Nov

Check with your insurance too, some won't insure cat c/d or at least add a …Check with your insurance too, some won't insure cat c/d or at least add a penalty

No they don’t, I buying drive Cat D’s and they have never added loaded the insurance
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants