Anyone here that works in a supermarket?

31 replies
Found 30th Nov 2009
What happens to all the food that dosen't get sold and eventually goes out of date (sell-by)? Is it sent back or disposed of? It can still be eaten after a sell by date can't it? Just seems like a big waste - must go somewhere.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
31 Comments

gets scanned as waste every night and thrown into a compactor and crushed in asda

what can be reduced/saved (dented tins / loose labels) is offered for sale at a lower price. stuff out of date has to be disposed of. (ie - a dirty big skip behind the shop!)

Yes it's a waste - but the law assumes that a packet of crisps dated best before november 09 will turn to muck at midnight on december 1st!

....so to the bin it goes.

-radishnet

Sainsbury's when I worked there, it first goes to staff to be sold. Then as Barky says they dispose of it, in a waste compactor.

I think M & S used to give their sandwiches to the homeless.

I think it's a massive shame. There's millions of people starving out there, and these supermarkets throw away perfectly good food! A carrot that's 1 day out of date isn't going to kill anyone! They need to change the way they work... At least give it to homeless shelters, they could feed so many people! Grrr!

baffledsalmon;7053825

I think it's a massive shame. There's millions of people starving out … I think it's a massive shame. There's millions of people starving out there, and these supermarkets throw away perfectly good food! A carrot that's 1 day out of date isn't going to kill anyone! They need to change the way they work... At least give it to homeless shelters, they could feed so many people! Grrr!

It's not the supermarkets fault.

And anything fresh food wise has to be binned by the laws that govern the land and the shops, nothing to do with the supermarkets.

Fruit and veg in the store I used to work for goes to the local zoo's.

An increasing amount is going for energy recovery in AD facilities. "Disposed of" doesn't mean landfill in this instance.

Adam2050;7053847

It's not the supermarkets fault.And anything fresh food wise has to be … It's not the supermarkets fault.And anything fresh food wise has to be binned by the laws that govern the land and the shops, nothing to do with the supermarkets.Fruit and veg in the store I used to work for goes to the local zoo's.

I'm not saying it's their fault, but I doubt they're doing anything to try and get it changed! Stupid government!

baffledsalmon;7053825

I think it's a massive shame. There's millions of people starving out … I think it's a massive shame. There's millions of people starving out there, and these supermarkets throw away perfectly good food! A carrot that's 1 day out of date isn't going to kill anyone! They need to change the way they work... At least give it to homeless shelters, they could feed so many people! Grrr!

many supermarkets would love to give them to the needy-its the LAW that says they cant-dont blame the retailers.

baffledsalmon;7053904

I'm not saying it's their fault, but I doubt they're doing anything to … I'm not saying it's their fault, but I doubt they're doing anything to try and get it changed! Stupid government!

The government is in place to apply what the population wants, with checks and balances. Why not speak to your MP to push for it to be changed?

barky;7053914

many supermarkets would love to give them to the needy-its the LAW that … many supermarkets would love to give them to the needy-its the LAW that says they cant-dont blame the retailers.

They would love to give it to the needy for two reasons; landfill tax and public perception. Realistically it does pose a health risk (note that it is risk and not necessarily a hazard) and energy recovery is probably better.

i saw on a program supermakets chuck food away cause the packet has been slighlty opened, even though the inside contents are individually wrapped, goes for other food too
u get those people that trawl supermarket bins and find perfectly good food

queenlush;7053775

used to happen like that by us, KFC used to give homeless food at the end of the day, one got food poisioning and tried to sue so they dont do it anymore

barky;7053732

gets scanned as waste every night and thrown into a compactor and crushed … gets scanned as waste every night and thrown into a compactor and crushed in asda

Same for Tesco's (used to work there a few yrs ago)

I worked in a food distribution warehouse and we had to dispose of a lot of food one time because a big order from Sainsburys had gone wrong and they did not want it.

I had to throw hundreds of packets of perfectly good, and in dated food because they didnt know what to do with it, grr it was soo annoying as im against throwing away food without good reason

khy86;7054112

I worked in a food distribution warehouse and we had to dispose of a lot … I worked in a food distribution warehouse and we had to dispose of a lot of food one time because a big order from Sainsburys had gone wrong and they did not want it.I had to throw hundreds of packets of perfectly good, and in dated food because they thought there was nothing else to do with it, grr it was soo annoying as im against throwing away food without good reason

shoulda asked if u could take it home haha

I think some of the waste should be sent to Africa to feed those in need, Surely they could do a daily collection and flight.

A starving child

or

Landfill?

shauneco;7054148

I think some of the waste should be sent to Africa to feed those in need, … I think some of the waste should be sent to Africa to feed those in need, Surely they could do a daily collection and flight.A starving childor Landfill?

Once again, it often doesn't go to landfill.

Marks & Spencers still donate food stuff to homeless services

queenlush;7053775

m&s used to give the food to leonard cheshire homes where i worked not sure if they still do it

queenlush;7053775

No they never, i used to work at M&S (in the food department) and all their food (including vegetables) that went out of date, was put in a big bin and covered in blue (to stop homeless people going into the bins and taking food). Such a waste of food when there are soo many homeless/poorer people who could do with it!!!!

Banned

shauneco;7054148

I think some of the waste should be sent to Africa to feed those in need, … I think some of the waste should be sent to Africa to feed those in need, Surely they could do a daily collection and flight.A starving childor Landfill?

I think I'd rather it went to a starving child in this country, rather than to a landfill.

It's terrible that we fill land with good food, rather than filling the land with well-fed children.

Fill the land, not land the fill:x

:thumbsup: Good old M & S then! Does anyone remember years ago they had a "butter mountain" ? an excess of produce ? They were giving away tins of beef and packs of butter to those on benefits.

Netto's ( and I'm sure others have to) have now taken off 'Best b4 dates' on their veg....from last week........gonna save looooooooads I reckon:thumbsup:

hannah19790;7054471

Netto's ( and I'm sure others have to) have now taken off 'Best b4 dates' … Netto's ( and I'm sure others have to) have now taken off 'Best b4 dates' on their veg....from last week........gonna save looooooooads I reckon:thumbsup:

yeah same with aldi and lidl

Pret a manger give their leftover stuff to homeless people at the end of the day

Abz;7054326

No they never, i used to work at M&S (in the food department) and all … No they never, i used to work at M&S (in the food department) and all their food (including vegetables) that went out of date, was put in a big bin and covered in blue (to stop homeless people going into the bins and taking food). Such a waste of food when there are soo many homeless/poorer people who could do with it!!!!

Not true, they donate food to Cyrenians who are running a programme, 4th year running I think, with various food outlets, homeless services sign up for it and can access food for homeless people.

"Each week over 15,000 fresh nutritious meals are provided to people experiencing homelessness, thanks to contributions from Edinburgh Cyrenians FareShare project. FareShare collects surplus fresh fruit, vegetables, meat and dairy products from supermarkets and retailers which would otherwise end up in landfill. Over 7 tonnes of this fresh food is delivered each week to over 40 homelessness projects. Donors include Marks & Spencer, Greggs, Pret a Manger, Simply Organic and Albert Bartlett & Son"

Banned

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I used to work at Morrisons on produce (so high wastage), and basically anything on that days date at around 5:00 would get put on the selected seconds table (outside the banana hideout). Could be as little as 5p and you'd get the dregs of society coming in every night to cash in.

However sometimes if various figures were looking bad, it would be better for the department to waste the excess than sell it.

Make of that what you will.[/COLOR]

A local supermarket gives all short dated food (bread -tinned stuff etc ) to the womens refuge where i work every day we ring and they tell us if theres any donations and some one goes and picks . the same supermarket and local buisnesses donate xmas presents to the children if we let them know age range and boy /girl:thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition50448
    2. Win a gorgeous bundle of fair trade toys from Best Years, worth £100 @ Netm…10
    3. hello fashion mag/jigsaw comp - win £1,000 to spend INSTORE at jigsaw88
    4. Win a short break for two at our hotel of the year: the Pointer, Bucks @ Su…55

See more discussions