Groups

Anyone involved in recruitment?

Banned
    Hello,

I'm having a few issues with my current employer (along with a few others in my department), so I'm strongly considering a change.

My current job is fairly easy, however I should be shooting for something more senior now days. My CV needs a good revamp and although it's landed me some decent positions before, I feel a change is required.

What do people look for in a CV these days? Do I include things like employee of the month, department awards, SPA's etc?

Secondly, it's been a good few years since I've written a cover letter too. Do employers look out for this sort of thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

15 Comments

best to contact some agencies within your field. go have a meeting with some of them and take cv along. also look at ads you want to go for an mirror the language used and highlight the relevant experience don't make it hard for them to find the key skills.

They need to be concise but full of relevant information. You should be changing your CV for each role you apply for to ensure that it is showing off all your best skills that the employer is looking for.

Think of a CV like an advert - how would you advertise you?

Covering letters should be like a highlighter pen - point out the best bits of yourself and your CV

Think about formatting as that is as important as the content - if you see a big wall of text you are much less likely to read it compared to bullet points and bold titles

Get yourself enrolled on and doing some relevant courses and make sure you show your continued personal development

Depends on the role, lots of larger places are moving to their own forms instead of CV's. I know we don't take CV's and if you copy and paste it onto your application you'll get instantly binned.

Finding a new job is always daunting. Employee of the month won't impress employers, experience and seniority will.

you need to describe your experience fully and positions of seniority. You can't get a promotion by getting a new job. Employers will look to give you positions similar to your current level. You will need to have a good reason for leaving when you go to interviews as this is always asked. Employers don't like employees who winge and run because of problems so you need to make the current problem something that they can empathise with and make them understand why you would want to leave.

Op, as above sell yourself, also get the latest word 2016 or I think 2013 also has a great selection of sample cvs, just search for resume and loads of samples come up

Original Poster Banned

How many pages is good for a CV these days? I've heard one from my previous employer, and a recruitment agent says 2 pages?

Banned

1 page, short, concise, keywords checked, absolutely no photograph or date of birth, skip hobbies and references. PM me if you need help.

Banned

lee878787

How many pages is good for a CV these days? I've heard one from my … How many pages is good for a CV these days? I've heard one from my previous employer, and a recruitment agent says 2 pages?

1 page as they get scanned for keywords, no need for 2 pages of pure blah

Original Poster Banned

I've not had a DOB on mine for the past 3 jobs as they always required a form of screening which I'd input anyway. Trying to cram it into one page is hard.

mutley1

Finding a new job is always daunting. Employee of the month won't … Finding a new job is always daunting. Employee of the month won't impress employers, experience and seniority will.you need to describe your experience fully and positions of seniority. You can't get a promotion by getting a new job. Employers will look to give you positions similar to your current level. You will need to have a good reason for leaving when you go to interviews as this is always asked. Employers don't like employees who winge and run because of problems so you need to make the current problem something that they can empathise with and make them understand why you would want to leave.

What a load of rubbish, i've always worked for smaller companies thus you end up hitting a ceiling from either career or salary perspectives. Most of my moves have involved taking on more responsibility and earning more money so by definition I would call that a promotion?

Edited by: "ipswich78" 24th Aug 2016

Banned

YouDontWantToKnow

I have never seen a CV without a date of birth that I cannot work out … I have never seen a CV without a date of birth that I cannot work out their age by other means. Never, not one.

but if you make it obvious, it wont help, if you make it hard, some wont bother working it out

Original Poster Banned

Because I'm trying to swap two pages into one (I'll say further employment history available on request) I appear to be using the same words....

Banned

lee878787

Because I'm trying to swap two pages into one (I'll say further … Because I'm trying to swap two pages into one (I'll say further employment history available on request) I appear to be using the same words....

message me, I will help you

ipswich78

What a load of rubbish, i've always worked for smaller companies thus you … What a load of rubbish, i've always worked for smaller companies thus you end up hitting a ceiling from either career or salary perspectives. Most of my moves have involved taking on more responsibility and earning more money so by definition I would call that a promotion?

You may end up with a promotion but you don't go into interviews saying that is why you are leaving. You have to demonstrate that you have experience in the role you are going to do, which is what will get you the job.

lee878787

How many pages is good for a CV these days? I've heard one from my … How many pages is good for a CV these days? I've heard one from my previous employer, and a recruitment agent says 2 pages?

I have two pages as it won't fit on to one. It's fine for two if you have enough details.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ditched Sky1214
      2. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      3. Biscuit addiction1231
      4. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325

See more discussions