Groups

Anyone know about data recovery?

The hard drive of my laptop has become corrupt so with a helpful HUKD member's advice, I got a Hirens disk and ran the laptop in windows xp but the folder I need on the drive could not be read by the Hirens disk. It stated that the hard drive needed to be formatted to be read. I didn't think this was a good idea to format the hard drive.

I got a SATA to USB cable to read the hard drive but got the same message.

Is there any point in taking my hard drive to some where like PC World to see if they can retrieve the data? Or is this the end? I would guess they would still charge me if they could not get anything out of the hard drive?

I need some excel files on the hard drive, which is important but I may be able to live without them.

23 Comments

Tried downloading Linux LiveCd/Dvd and then run the live CD/DVD (not install) and see.if you can access your files on the laptop.

Recuva is free data recovery software. It's the one the tech guys always recommend. piriform.com/recuva

ubuntu.com/dow…top Try the Ubuntu Desktop and run through " try Ubuntu" as live CD/Dvd

The live cd is a good idea. Techs use that on a Windows PC. You set your troubled pc to boot from cd. Then pc runs only from cd rom with no installation or writing to drive, so no worries there. You can browse all the files and recover. Even remove a virus if needed. When finished nothing installed. No sign that anything was done to pc drive. Download Linux iso file. Select burn iso option with whichever burning software you have on working pc to create a live cd. Set troubled pc to boot from rom. Seems every tech person has a live cd in there bag for just such problem.

mutley1

...I got a Hirens disk and ran the laptop in windows xp but the folder I … ...I got a Hirens disk and ran the laptop in windows xp but the folder I need on the drive could not be read by the Hirens disk. It stated that the hard drive needed to be formatted to be read. I didn't think this was a good idea to format the hard drive.

Definitely do not format. Been a while since I played with a Hiren disk. By "ran the laptop in windows xp" do you mean you loaded XP into the laptop's RAM rather than loaded XP to a hard drive? If so, with XP in RAM you can use the portable version of Recuva to attempt to recover the contents of the folder piriform.com/rec…ion
    Other boot disks (optical and USB) are available that provide a Windows 8 / 10 interface without installing anything to a drive. My preference is Gandalf's WinPE. You can run the portable version of Recuva in such an environment.

wayners

Recuva is free data recovery software. It's the one the tech guys always … Recuva is free data recovery software. It's the one the tech guys always recommend. https://www.piriform.com/recuva

wayners, you are always so knowledgeable and helpful to everyone. You are by far my favourite person on HUKD. If there is ever a vote for people like you (and if there isn't there should be) I would vote for you. I have learned a lot from the advice you have given people. Thank you.

Original Poster

AndyRoyd

Definitely do not format. Been a while since I played with a Hiren disk. … Definitely do not format. Been a while since I played with a Hiren disk. By "ran the laptop in windows xp" do you mean you loaded XP into the laptop's RAM rather than loaded XP to a hard drive? If so, with XP in RAM you can use the portable version of Recuva to attempt to recover the contents of the folder https://www.piriform.com/recuva/features/portable-versionOther boot disks (optical and USB) are available that provide a Windows 8 / 10 interface without installing anything to a drive. My preference is Gandalf's WinPE. You can run the portable version of Recuva in such an environment.

When booting from hirens as the corrupt hard drive stopped the laptop turning on, it gave the option of booting in windows xp, which i had been advised to choose and that started up the laptop so i had limited options, one was to open windows explorer to read the files. This was when it said that folder i wanted to open where my excel files are stored was not recognised because it was not formatted and so offered me the option to format the folder.

If you can't access it with Hirens, Recuva may struggle too. Check the smart data on the drive, if the drive is showing errors, professional data recovery might be the only option but that's not a PC World type job. We deal with a company called Data Busters, through work, expensive but depends how valuable the data is.

Original Poster

enigmatik33

If you can't access it with Hirens, Recuva may struggle too. Check the … If you can't access it with Hirens, Recuva may struggle too. Check the smart data on the drive, if the drive is showing errors, professional data recovery might be the only option but that's not a PC World type job. We deal with a company called Data Busters, through work, expensive but depends how valuable the data is.

I was advised by the helpful HUKD member that the hard drive is probably corrupt as it stopped windows starting on the laptop. Hirens could not open the folder in windows explorer. I tried command c prompt option available on hirens and that also stated that the folder was empty.

I then took the hard dive out of the laptop and connected it to my other laptop via a SATA to USB cable so i was able just to read what was on the hard drive, but that could not access the folder I wanted. It was able to access another folder on the hard drive, which contained all the system files but not the folder I needed.

If you care about those data.... DONT DO ANYTHING what they told you to do!

1st thing is to know why the drive is corrupted. What exactly is wrong with it (Hiren's boot -> MHDD (google-> mhdd how to use)
    If there are bad sectors, how many, are those "logical" or "physical" ones.
    Before you start process you have to make sector-by-sector copy of your drive, only this will let you "play" with it and in case of making more damages rescue your data using this copy (probably in data recovery company then).
    If bad sectors are exist you have to try erase and remap them (MHDD again). You might loose some data (lets say you got a bad sector which is part of movie on your drive: either it won't run at all, or stop in some point or you will loose some seconds of this movie, etc.). Don't count on rescue operating system, you don't want this HDD anyway. But after remaping bad sectors you might be able to open content of the drive if not you will have to use DMDE software to rescue data from unpartitioned drive. Hope that makes some sense, I am really trying, but its not my native language, sorry mate

Elkelriko

wayners, you are always so knowledgeable and helpful to everyone. You are … wayners, you are always so knowledgeable and helpful to everyone. You are by far my favourite person on HUKD. If there is ever a vote for people like you (and if there isn't there should be) I would vote for you. I have learned a lot from the advice you have given people. Thank you.

Drop a pm to the more, recommend him for VIP! Its just a badge, but it's better than nothing.

+ 1 for Recuva; which BTW, can recover files from a reformatted HDD. In fact I have recovered files from a HDD that was accidentally reformatted TWICE.

Dontcha just love it when Windows decides to change the drive numbers on you, and you format your Data drive instead of the newly fitted drive?

Just remember, you need somewhere to place the recovered files; depending on how much you are trying to save, this could be another HDD, or a large capacity USB drive.

Elkelriko

wayners, you are always so knowledgeable and helpful to everyone. You are … wayners, you are always so knowledgeable and helpful to everyone. You are by far my favourite person on HUKD. If there is ever a vote for people like you (and if there isn't there should be) I would vote for you. I have learned a lot from the advice you have given people. Thank you.

​Hi. Thanks. I listen to podcasts all day while at work so just passing on what I have heard. The tech guy. This week in Google. Dr Carl. Money Box. Martin Lewis. Security now. And many more. I love the phone in format as we all have the very similar day to day problems. I'm just a dum ass information middle man .

If you get your disk sorted out and get a good install of Windows then make a backup copy of the whole disk with Macrium Reflect Free.

macrium.com/ref…ree

As you can guess this is a free version and when you run it it creates an image (one large single file) of your whole hard drive and copies it out to an external hard drive.

If ever your disk crashes (or you want to reinstall Windows) you just do a restore from the image on your external hard drive.

In this way I can reinstall Windows in 10 or 15 minutes.

It wont help with individual files like Excel spreadsheets as the copies in the image will be as they were when you took the image so you would need to back these up on a regular basis.

If files like this are important then make a copy of them to an external hard drive once or twice a day them you know you always have a fairly recent backup.

But Macrium Reflect Free is a great way to get your Windows back without the hassle of a fresh Windows install.

Recuva has its place, I've used it, but I wouldn't exactly call it file recovery software.

TestDisk/PhotoRec is excellent, but you might be put off as it's command line, although there are plenty of guides out there to help.

TestDisk: Partition recovery, file undelete
    PhotoRec: File recovery

One that isn't free and that has saved my bacon on more than one occasion is "File Scavenger"

guilbert53

If you get your disk sorted out and get a good install of Windows then … If you get your disk sorted out and get a good install of Windows then make a backup copy of the whole disk with Macrium Reflect Free.https://www.macrium.com/reflectfreeAs you can guess this is a free version and when you run it it creates an image (one large single file) of your whole hard drive and copies it out to an external hard drive. If ever your disk crashes (or you want to reinstall Windows) you just do a restore from the image on your external hard drive.In this way I can reinstall Windows in 10 or 15 minutes.It wont help with individual files like Excel spreadsheets as the copies in the image will be as they were when you took the image so you would need to back these up on a regular basis. If files like this are important then make a copy of them to an external hard drive once or twice a day them you know you always have a fairly recent backup.But Macrium Reflect Free is a great way to get your Windows back without the hassle of a fresh Windows install.

There is the argument for the benefits of having a system partition and data patition, although the primary benefit is the time taken to restore one or the other from the image file. Macrium also appears to provide a simple facility for selective file restore, as do other similar tools such as Acronis True Image. But all academic for OP at this stage.

don't bother with pc world or similar, maybe a local shop if u r really stuck.
    But there us a lot of free recovery software available that should get majority of us stuff

Original Poster

cheers guys, a lot of helpful information here. i will get round to doing it eventually. there is only one excel spreadsheet that i need which has my tax return, otherwise i will have to do it all again. bummer.

also a spreadsheet where all my money is as i can't remember where they are so i don't think giving the hard drive to pc world is a good idea. lol

Note to self, backup important data, even if it's the same HD but on a different partition.

Very easy to write a batch script to backup new/updated docs, run it as a scheduled task.

Original Poster

4Real20162 m ago

Note to self, backup important data, even if it's the same HD but on a …Note to self, backup important data, even if it's the same HD but on a different partition.Very easy to write a batch script to backup new/updated docs, run it as a scheduled task.

i uploaded all my photos on to dropbox last night, which took ages and i saved a copy of all my documents on to a USB stick in case this happens to my current laptop. i always thought it was easy to retrieve data, didn't know it could go this wrong.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Recommend a free reminder app44
      2. Anyone use a FitBit Surge?22
      3. Avoiding Car hire excess (Tenerife)810
      4. Does Tesco call you after a delivery?914

See more discussions