Groups

Anyone know about plumbing?

when we have the heating on the pipes which are built into the walls ( was like this when we bought the house)
    make a god awful banging, tapping,thumping noise , noises depends on what room your in!
    is there anyway to stop this as its driving us mad now? the only room where they are quiet is in the extension and my sons room above.
    we've tried having the heating on lower and its still the same

23 Comments

Try bleeding the system (getting the air out)

Airlock, try your radiators as a first step

Original Poster

thanks guys, we bled the pipes and radiators and a guy came out to get the air out of the system and i think its made it worse

Air trapped in pipes- happened to me- release air at radiators by turning and letting air out- may help....

Original Poster

starsparkle2311

Not a plumber, but maybe the pump needs a check over?

would the pump make the radiator pipes make all this noise?

Lol not trapped in my pipes btw lol

Original Poster

sian744

Lol not trapped in my pipes btw lol

lol. we bled the pipes and radiators hun and i think it made it worse

Original Poster

starsparkle2311

Not sure, like I say I'm not a plumber,lol, sorry. But you've bled them … Not sure, like I say I'm not a plumber,lol, sorry. But you've bled them and had a guy out to do the air thing, call him back

i would hun but he did the same as we did with the little key and the air out of the pipes, thinking on it he didnt look at the boiler for long

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Turn the mains water tap off slightly to reduced the pressure

will try that now, and yes starsparkle2311 think we might have to if its not an easy fix, all this and now the fridge is warm! lol

whatsThePoint

Turn the mains water tap off slightly to reduced the pressure

whats that got to do with the central heating system??

Either airlock in the system or pipes insufficiently clipped which would cause banging, also if you have access to the pump you could try reducing it's speed, most modern pumps have a speed selection switch
    Edited by: "souljacker" 5th Dec 2010

vinylandtrinkets

will try that now, and yes starsparkle2311 think we might have to if its … will try that now, and yes starsparkle2311 think we might have to if its not an easy fix, all this and now the fridge is warm! lol

Turn off the heating and open the fridge door then

Original Poster

souljacker

whats that got to do with the central heating system??Either airlock in … whats that got to do with the central heating system??Either airlock in the system or pipes insufficiently clipped which would cause banging, also if you have access to the pump you could try reducing it's speed, most modern pumps have a speed selection switch

we're thinking the clips might not be enough in the wall, thats if theres any there by the sound of it.
    is there anyway to stop the noise if they are not clipped properly ? other then hacking off half the walls in the house
    Edited by: "vinylandtrinkets" 5th Dec 2010

If they are not clipped propery, no, the pipes expand with heat and if they are not properly clipped they will bang, only solution is to clip them

Original Poster

souljacker

If they are not clipped propery, no, the pipes expand with heat and if … If they are not clipped propery, no, the pipes expand with heat and if they are not properly clipped they will bang, only solution is to clip them

oh dear! thanks for the tips guys, it doesnt look good

I would defo start with a decent plumber

Make sure that the header tank in the loft has sufficient water in it otherwise even when you bleed your radiators there won't be enough in the system.

cannyscot

Make sure that the header tank in the loft has sufficient water in it … Make sure that the header tank in the loft has sufficient water in it otherwise even when you bleed your radiators there won't be enough in the system.

Good advice, or if it is a pressurised systemake sure the pressure is above 1 bar

Original Poster

its a combi boiler made by Baxi, the water pressure seems ok its where it says in the book its supposed to be, the pressure is around 2

i have a similar problem a really loud horrible noise throughout the house when ever the taps are used or the toilets flushed.

s_paul

i have a similar problem a really loud horrible noise throughout the … i have a similar problem a really loud horrible noise throughout the house when ever the taps are used or the toilets flushed.

Unfortunately there's a really loud horrible noise throughout the house just before I flush the toilet.

But it's not the plumbing!!

cannyscot

Unfortunately there's a really loud horrible noise throughout the house … Unfortunately there's a really loud horrible noise throughout the house just before I flush the toilet.But it's not the plumbing!!

keep that to yourself please! oO

Original Poster

thanks guys for all your tips . we've bled every heater in the house and its still the same , going to get someone in to look at it . thanks again guys

If your heating system has a header tank in the loft then you could add some boiler silencer. Available in b&q and ScrewFix.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Laptop 1060 gtx ?22
      2. Do you use a case on your iPhone?1010
      3. What's the name of that brand that looks like Playstation symbols?23
      4. Input Lag v Refresh rate on a TV..44

See more discussions