Groups

Anyone Know Any Good Website Design Software?

Banned
    I have too much time on my hands and I want to design a website but dont know how to design through html etc so I am after software such as Dreamweaver that does all the work for you.

Which is the best out there for easy to use features etc

38 Comments

Banned

Notepad.

Seriously.

I use notepad but just code html

Original Poster Banned

How would that work, I remember in college using dreamweaver and it had presets designs and buttons etc so I wouldnt have a clue what to do in Notepad, would you just add images and add links to them?

I need to make a few as well...I have been looking at, wysiwyg editors, and I think they might do the job. A few free ones on google, but I have not looked too much in to it at the mo...

yes you would use stuff like,

I have used various web design software, some are better than others, but in truth they are only as good as the designer. That's why DanJackson is correct about Notepad. If you can master html coding you can use any word processor.

Banned

alexthekid;4176079

How would that work, I remember in college using dreamweaver and it had … How would that work, I remember in college using dreamweaver and it had presets designs and buttons etc so I wouldnt have a clue what to do in Notepad, would you just add images and add links to them?

No. learn html.

Seriously. It's incredibly easy. If you start using WYSIWYG editors you end up with loads of code that isn't needed and clogs up your pages.

There are about 9 trillion sources on the internet that will guide you through learning HTML, it really is very simple.

And it's 100 times more satisfying having created something yourself.

Banned

This is the layout for pretty much every page on my own website. It took about 20 minutes to do including tweaking to get it to look right.

It is easy peasy.

(There's other code on the page but that just controls the CSS menu so I haven't posted it and it's copied and pasted from a DHTML directory anyway)

----------------------------

title1.jpg

line.jpg

This is now the 4th time I have updated this bloody site in about 6 months. I am sick of it. Everytime I decide I like a design, I find something wrong with it. The last design was fine, but the pictures were too slow to load in the gallery.

This version should be a lot quicker as I have of rid of all the Flash and replaced it with CSS and DHTML. More coding, less loading (that was an unintentional rhyme)

It's January 2009. If I change the layout of this site again in the next 3 months, shoot me.

line.jpg

mosaic.jpg

Original Poster Banned

I know, I tried computer programming at college and for some reason it just wouldnt "click" in my mind, I am quite techy too.

I might try again to learn it after all that was 8 years ago and I am a better learner now than I was then.

Banned

alexthekid;4176135

I know, I tried computer programming at college and for some reason it … I know, I tried computer programming at college and for some reason it just wouldnt "click" in my mind, I am quite techy too.I might try again to learn it after all that was 8 years ago and I am a better learner now than I was then.

HTML is very logical, that's why I find it so easy.

Every action starts with an opening and ends with a closing.

So

Poop

Would mean that anything written or inserted between those two bits of code would be aligned to the centre of the browser.

BOLD WRITING IN HERE

Makes it bold. See, VERY simple.

This would become a link to a website

Go on, give it a go!

http://i40.tinypic.com/swx111.jpg

Image of coding above (removed pics though)

use [url]www.w3schools.com/html[/url] & [url]www.w3school.com/css[/url] to learn to design and create your own pages

also [url]www.pagetutor.com[/url] is a good step by step html tutorial

Banned

Predikuesi;4176170

Image of coding above (removed pics though)

Oh. It looks silly without the CSS code. I can't post my website as I think it's self promotion. But I think you can guess how to find it.

Original Poster Banned

Thats weird, before you posted I was on your website but cant remember how I got on there, I know i was searching for website design software on google. :?

Banned

Which one is Casper?

http://www.dan-jackson.com/dan.jpg

Banned

guv;4176191

Which one is Casper?

Which one is me? I am confused.

Original Poster Banned

Dog is casper lol

Banned

The purists or those who want to impress will tell you to use notepad. Personally I prefer to use Dreamweaver. Saves lots of time and happy to use software that will sychronise, sitewide update and generally assist and make life easier.

Original Poster Banned

I am using page tutor and its quite useful, I have made a title and wrote a message, I am on my way lol

Banned

guv;4176263

The purists or those who want to impress will tell you to use notepad. … The purists or those who want to impress will tell you to use notepad. Personally I prefer to use Dreamweaver. Saves lots of time and happy to use software that will sychronise, sitewide update and generally assist and make life easier.

To be honest, I use Dreamweaver most of the time, but only for the coding and never in the God-awful design mode.

But I think to learn HTML it is best to start with basics and Notepad is ideal for that.

guv;4176263

The purists or those who want to impress will tell you to use notepad. … The purists or those who want to impress will tell you to use notepad. Personally I prefer to use Dreamweaver. Saves lots of time and happy to use software that will sychronise, sitewide update and generally assist and make life easier.

I agree with Guv .....Dreamweaver ...............or another one is CoffeeCup. :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

Something that is bugging me, are body tags just used to change things such as text, colour etc

Banned

DanJackson;4176278

To be honest, I use Dreamweaver most of the time, but only for the coding … To be honest, I use Dreamweaver most of the time, but only for the coding and never in the God-awful design mode.

I mostly use code mode and manually edit as I go. But still use design mode to check what it looks like without loading into a browser. Even with code mode though, I'd still use Dreamweaver to add a hyperlink for examle. Easy to add tags and not make an error by making a silly typo error.

But I think to learn HTML it is best to start with basics and Notepad is … But I think to learn HTML it is best to start with basics and Notepad is ideal for that.

If you have the time and inclination, I certainly dont think its a mistake to do so. (Especially since it will help to spot any errors you may have made.) I think I'm just too lazy!

guv;4176329

I think I'm just too lazy!

Don't worry.. I'm a lot lazier than that LOL

guv;4176329

I mostly use code mode and manually edit as I go. But still use design … I mostly use code mode and manually edit as I go. But still use design mode to check what it looks like without loading into a browser. Even with code mode though, I'd still use Dreamweaver to add a hyperlink for examle. Easy to add tags and not make an error by making a silly typo error.If you have the time and inclination, I certainly dont think its a mistake to do so. (Especially since it will help to spot any errors you may have made.) I think I'm just too lazy!

learning html & css is worthwhile as said above, you can spot errors and customise stuff .... e.g add a new nav bar or change the text colour .....

css is a major part of the website ..... look @ hukd now ...... not showing the .css page ..... which means its just random links :w00t:

Banned

alexthekid;4176314

Something that is bugging me, are body tags just used to change things … Something that is bugging me, are body tags just used to change things such as text, colour etc

Pretty much yeah. All I ever really use them for is changing the background colour if its anything other than white.

You always have to use them though even if it's just

all your page design code in here

faevilangel;4176358

not showing the .css page ..... which means its just random links :w00t:

Not too far off what it was like just after the change

emasu;4176376

Not too far off what it was like just after the change

yeah ............ looks awful without a css page ............ its back now tho ......

beware when writing some css though, IE and firefox see some limited stuff differently so you may see different pages when viewing in either browser ......

ie isnt built to accept the w3c standards while firefox is ......

Banned

faevilangel;4176396

yeah ............ looks awful without a css page ............ its back … yeah ............ looks awful without a css page ............ its back now tho ......beware when writing some css though, IE and firefox see some limited stuff differently so you may see different pages when viewing in either browser ...... ie isnt built to accept the w3c standards while firefox is ......

On that subject.... any idea why sometimes HUKD loads without the CSS? Only seems to happen on this site in Firefox. Usually end up having to close the browser down to get it back working again. Weird. Got no idea why or why its only this site it happens on. (Maybe it thinks I should know what it looks like now without it loaded!)

alexthekid;4176314

Something that is bugging me, are body tags just used to change things … Something that is bugging me, are body tags just used to change things such as text, colour etc

don't use body tags for that......... learn css and use divs

e.g. in the .css you have

#body ( background-color : #000000; * (white) * }

save the file as test.css

now in your .html pages add

in the and tags

and put
    and you will have the white background

using css means you only have to change one peice of code instead of many pages

p.s don't include the stuff in between * *

guv;4176424

On that subject.... any idea why sometimes HUKD loads without the CSS? … On that subject.... any idea why sometimes HUKD loads without the CSS? Only seems to happen on this site in Firefox. Usually end up having to close the browser down to get it back working again. Weird. Got no idea why or why its only this site it happens on. (Maybe it thinks I should know what it looks like now without it loaded!)

its because of the load on the server means firefox can't find the file ........ i have never known it on IE either......... happens on my forums quite a lot tho (in firefox)

Original Poster Banned

guv;4176424

On that subject.... any idea why sometimes HUKD loads without the CSS? … On that subject.... any idea why sometimes HUKD loads without the CSS? Only seems to happen on this site in Firefox. Usually end up having to close the browser down to get it back working again. Weird. Got no idea why or why its only this site it happens on. (Maybe it thinks I should know what it looks like now without it loaded!)

What is CSS?

Banned

faevilangel;4176445

its because of the load on the server means firefox can't find the file … its because of the load on the server means firefox can't find the file ........ i have never known it on IE either......... happens on my forums quite a lot tho (in firefox)

I'd have thought it would be clever enough to load the file from cache? (Well obviously not I guess!)

Banned

alexthekid;4176462

What is CSS?

Cascading Style sheets

Basically its used for much of the design, layout, colours, text stye etc and used thoughout the site. Without it, if you changed the colour background for example, you would have to change every page on the site. In CSS, you'd just change one line of code in one single file.

guv;4176467

I'd have thought it would be clever enough to load the file from cache? … I'd have thought it would be clever enough to load the file from cache? (Well obviously not I guess!)

as its a .css page, its not cached ....... when you load the forums, the css page is found first, if a browser cannot see it within x amount of seconds it skips it and displays everything else

as the forums are written in php, there is a slightly bigger chance of the file not being found. it only happens when there is one big resource on the server .....

what i tend to do, is host another copy of my css, on another server then if my server copy won't load, then it tries to get the other version ......

i haven't done this way in ages tho as my server is better than it was

guv;4176473

Cascading Style sheetsBasically its used for much of the design, layout, … Cascading Style sheetsBasically its used for much of the design, layout, colours, text stye etc and used thoughout the site. Without it, if you changed the colour background for example, you would have to change every page on the site. In CSS, you'd just change one line of code in one single file.

correct umundo (spelling??)

Original Poster Banned

Forgive my ignorance

would you just use .CSS on your main page and the rest of the website would follow?

alexthekid;4176534

Forgive my ignorancewould you just use .CSS on your main page and the … Forgive my ignorancewould you just use .CSS on your main page and the rest of the website would follow?

no if you follow my post and add

in the and tags

into every page, then they will all show the same :thumbsup:

[url]www.w3schools.com/css[/url] is the best place i know of to learn css....... need any help just holler

Banned

alexthekid;4176534

Forgive my ignorancewould you just use .CSS on your main page and the … Forgive my ignorancewould you just use .CSS on your main page and the rest of the website would follow?

You would have html pages for your whole site (assuming thats what you are using!) the CSS file will be a file referred to within each html page to upload and use. It makes the site loading much quicker. (Since the code will only be loaded once and not within the contents of each page.) However its making sitewide changes that CSS becomes so beneficial. (How long would it take you to change 100 pages of a website if you wanted to change the font size for example. In CSS, that task would take seconds and only one file would need to be uploaded to your host, not 100 pages.)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3966
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions