Anyone know any high street stores that sell Ammonia?

Found 26th May 2016
Hi
I'm after some pure ammonia to start a fishless cycle in my new tank but my nearest aquatics shops don't sell it so I was hoping someone on here might know if any supermarkets etc sell it
cheers
Community Updates
10 Comments
Have you tried Boots, Tescos, homebase, Wilkinsons ?
I got mine from eBay when I did the fish less cycle a couple of months ago. Arrived in a couple of days and is the one you need.
eBay number : 231919272740.

Whatever you do, don't breath it in X) big mistake oO
Edited by: "A1512" 26th May 2016
homebase sell household ammonia if thats the same stuff
cheers guys I don't have a homebase nearby unfortunately, I have tried asda and I read Wilkinson's did sell it but no longer do
but I'll have a look at them and boots later but can imagine they charge way over the odds lol
thanks for the eBay link I think I'll probably end up having to do that just wanted to get it started straight away if I could.
I've got 5 tanks and never cycled any with pure ammonia, a few flakes of fish food and or a couple of frozen prawns and 2 months patience with a decent water test kit, ammonia, nitrate, nitrites, pH have always worked for me
Robert Dyas
Agent004

I've got 5 tanks and never cycled any with pure ammonia, a few flakes of … I've got 5 tanks and never cycled any with pure ammonia, a few flakes of fish food and or a couple of frozen prawns and 2 months patience with a decent water test kit, ammonia, nitrate, nitrites, pH have always worked for me

​you have far more patience than me lol
I couldn't wait 2 months I have got a smaller tank&filter with cycled water and will be transferring my fish into the bigger new tank.
So I will put that water in so that should speed things up.

​you have far more patience than me lol I couldn't wait 2 months I have g … ​you have far more patience than me lol I couldn't wait 2 months I have got a smaller tank&filter with cycled water and will be transferring my fish into the bigger new tank.So I will put that water in so that should speed things up.

The bacteria you need is not in the water. When you do a fishless cycle it cycles your filter and media, not the water. The process takes 4 to 6 weeks at the least. If your previous filter is still going and you've had the fish up until the day you use your new tank, you can just transfer the old filter to the new tank and it will be OK. Otherwise you need to start a fresh cycle.

I went through this a about 3/4 months ago, and made the stupid mistake of not allow the tank to cycle properly and my fish died. My new tank has now been cycled for over 2 months, fish were added around 5 weeks ago and everything has been fine since.

It's really important that you also have a full water testing kit, otherwise you won't know which stage of the cycle your tank is at.
Aiden1512

The bacteria you need is not in the water. When you do a fishless cycle … The bacteria you need is not in the water. When you do a fishless cycle it cycles your filter and media, not the water. The process takes 4 to 6 weeks at the least. If your previous filter is still going and you've had the fish up until the day you use your new tank, you can just transfer the old filter to the new tank and it will be OK. Otherwise you need to start a fresh cycle. I went through this a about 3/4 months ago, and made the stupid mistake of not allow the tank to cycle properly and my fish died. My new tank has now been cycled for over 2 months, fish were added around 5 weeks ago and everything has been fine since. It's really important that you also have a full water testing kit, otherwise you won't know which stage of the cycle your tank is at.

​ah you know I didn't know that.
My old tank that's still up and running with the community fish in is about 80 litres with a Fluval 2 filter and my new tank is a bigger Juwel one at 190 litres with a Fluval 4 in it so can't just swap filters
If I was to put the new filter in my old tank alongside the other would that create the cycle that way ?
I get muddled up with all this bit lol

​ah you know I didn't know that.My old tank that's still up and running w … ​ah you know I didn't know that.My old tank that's still up and running with the community fish in is about 80 litres with a Fluval 2 filter and my new tank is a bigger Juwel one at 190 litres with a Fluval 4 in it so can't just swap filters :(If I was to put the new filter in my old tank alongside the other would that create the cycle that way ? I get muddled up with all this bit lol

Yup, you can do that. Run both filters alongside each other for a minimum of 6 weeks. Once the new filter has cycled you can take the old one out. Or you can carefully cut up the old filter media and stuff it into the new filter, in any gaps or spaces. Remember not to rinse or wash the old filter in tap water as the chlorine will kill all the good bacteria. If it needs a clean, gently swirl it around in some water from the tank.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants