Anyone know Harpenden?

Found 19th Dec 2017
Looking at places to move to out of London - is there residents permit parking near the station or impossible to park if you live right in the centre? Can’t seem to find any maps on the council website indicating parking zones...
Community Updates
Ask
4 Comments
Google street view.....you can generally make out the yellow lines and parking restrictions
Edited by: "discozohan" 19th Dec 2017
I used to work there and don’t recall residents parking but it’s quite a small village so lots of parking spots near the station
Hi

I know Harpenden fairly well, although I'm not rich enough to live there. My husband works very near the station and parking if you are a non-resident is a blooming nightmare. There is residents only parking very close to the station (Carlton Road and the branches off of that etc). There is also residents only parking on the other side of the high street as you go uphill, and this would be about a 15 min walk to the station. St Albans Council is famously vicious in its ticketing. If you forget to display your permit or accidentally park where you shouldn't or for too long, they WILL give you a ticket.

It's a lovely town although very different to London. I used to teach in a secondary school there and can vouch for the people. It's very affluent... how posh do you like it?
Edited by: "kimmiebay" 20th Dec 2017
kimmiebay28 m ago

Hi I know Harpenden fairly well, although I'm not rich enough to live …Hi I know Harpenden fairly well, although I'm not rich enough to live there. My husband works very near the station and parking if you are a non-resident is a blooming nightmare. There is residents only parking very close to the station (Carlton Road and the branches off of that etc). There is also residents only parking on the other side of the high street as you go uphill, and this would be about a 15 min walk to the station. St Albans Council is famously vicious in its ticketing. If you forget to display your permit or accidentally park where you shouldn't or for too long, they WILL give you a ticket. It's a lovely town although very different to London. I used to teach in a secondary school there and can vouch for the people. It's very affluent... how posh do you like it?

Thanks - very useful. I’ve seen several flats near the station (high street) that are far more reasonable than rents in London and the train commute wouldn’t be too bad for me.

I’m basically looking for somewhere under £1000 per month that’s a pleasant area (shops/pubs/restaurants) within easy walking distance (like 5-10 mins at v most) of a station into central London within 30-40 mins with trains or tubes that run late or through the night. Prefer north of London and would need somewhere I can park so residents parking permit outside or near the flat.

What you describe sounds like it would fit...I want residents permit parking as I’d qualify for one and it would mean I can park without worrying about tickets or timing.

Any other recommendations in a similar area gratefully received - was looking at St Albans or Harrow on the Hill etc...with the same criteria...
Edited by: "bluep" 20th Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants