Groups
    EXPIRED

Anyone know how much an electrician would charge to fix our TV?

Our LCD TV lost it's picture but we can get a picture if we how the plug half way into the wall socket.

We changed the plug and tried plugging into a different socket but looks like there is a lose connection somewhere.

Anyway, anyone know how much TV repairs charge call out etc?

Thank you.

25 Comments

is it the tv or the plug? please describe better?

I don't know many people that fix TV's any more, normaly it's just chuck it and get a new one..
    Where are you based? i know someone who still does repairs.
    Maybe try ringing people from the local pages?

sounds as if it is plug connectin as u can get picture holdin plug in a different way and so

singer

Original Poster

Like I said ... if you have the plug half way out the socket in a certain way the TV works absolutely fine :s

I have changed the plug ... also cut off around about 8 inches from the lead and rewired ... still the same problem.

I am based in Worcestershire

loops;7384451

Like I said ... if you have the plug half way out the socket in a certain … Like I said ... if you have the plug half way out the socket in a certain way the TV works absolutely fine :sI have changed the plug ... also cut off around about 8 inches from the lead and rewired ... still the same problem.I am based in Worcestershire

seems weird... i dont see how it can work half in the socket unless plug or socket is faulty? it sounds like the actual TV is fine...and we have a tv repair shop who charged me £20 to come out and fix a set-up problem..

Original Poster

Yeah, it seems the TV is fine when the plug is a certain way ... but I've replaced the plug and tried it in a few different sockets so haven't a clue what's going on

Hopefully it'll be roughly the same to fix as yours lol. seems a shame to just chuck a TV that is fine apart from a silly problem.

loops;7384544

Yeah, it seems the TV is fine when the plug is a certain way ... but I've … Yeah, it seems the TV is fine when the plug is a certain way ... but I've replaced the plug and tried it in a few different sockets so haven't a clue what's going on :(Hopefully it'll be roughly the same to fix as yours lol. seems a shame to just chuck a TV that is fine apart from a silly problem.

well yep but i would personally get a friend if you have one who is practical to look at it first as you may be missing something...

sounds like theres still a break in the lead prob at tv end in my limited experience.best to renew entire mains lead as impractical as it prob will be good luck!

Original Poster

mrcareful;7384655

sounds like theres still a break in the lead prob at tv end in my limited … sounds like theres still a break in the lead prob at tv end in my limited experience.best to renew entire mains lead as impractical as it prob will be good luck!

Yes, there must be ... any idea if it's a standard lead/wire that I could buy from somewhere like B&Q/Homebase perhaps? ... might give it a go myself lol.

isnt it a kettle style lead that you use on a computer?

is everything else working ok in your house?
    Im a sparky and by what you have described.. it could be a loose neutral on the sockets supply.

Good luck!

Original Poster

Unfortunately it's not just a standard kettle lead it's wired into the back of the TV

Yes ... everything else in the house is working fine

Hello there im not specifically a TV repairer but i am an IT Proffesional with a bit of cross over into the Audio visual field.

Firstly before i attempt to give you some specific guidance could you please clarify make and model of tv, Are you are talking about mains input or signal input ? i.e. terrestrial/Digital over coaxial cable (normal aerial) or A/V input (SCART / HDMI from Sat / Cable decoder etc.

There could be a million different things depending on your setup. If you clarify those points then i might be able to help.

General Guidance

If its the mains input then you can get a standard kettle lead 3 pin or 2 pin from any electrical shop or other house hold device to test.

If its the ariel input then i suspect your earth screening is touching your centre core of the coax
    you can find detailed instructions on how to properly terminate coax on the web but essentially the plastic sleeve should seperate the centre copper core from the outer braid and they shouldnt touch. This could also be the problem behind the wall plate or socket your connecting too. have a look at the back of the plate make sure the two parts of the cable are seperate and secured with the screws.

You could have a faulty socket on the back of the TV a dry joint etc that would require resoldering. This is quite common especially if someone has accidentally tugged the cable
    at a sideways angle and bent the contacts on the circuit board.

If its the scart cable you need to have it seated properly at both ends, you sometimes lose sound / colour if its not fully in but generally the pins on these can go faulty and the soldered contacts can break.

Go back to the start.

Where the tv is normally plugged in does a bed side lamp or hairdrier work in the same socket?
    yes - then it must be the lead to the tv or loose spade/terminal tv connector inside the tv where the cable goes in or possibly a dry joint on the power supply board.
    if no then your mains socket has failed, some sockets i believe are double pole and so you may have a break/burnt up connection in the socket you are plugging into. If so plug the tv into another socket in the room - if tv picture returns then your normal tv 240v socket has failed - this can happen if like me you turn everything off before going to bed night after night after night and so finally the switch and socket fails.

Original Poster

scribbler;7385109

Hello there im not specifically a TV repairer but i am an IT Proffesional … Hello there im not specifically a TV repairer but i am an IT Proffesional with a bit of cross over into the Audio visual field. Firstly before i attempt to give you some specific guidance could you please clarify make and model of tv, Are you are talking about mains input or signal input ? i.e. terrestrial/Digital over coaxial cable (normal aerial) or A/V input (SCART / HDMI from Sat / Cable decoder etc.There could be a million different things depending on your setup. If you clarify those points then i might be able to help. General GuidanceIf its the mains input then you can get a standard kettle lead 3 pin or 2 pin from any electrical shop or other house hold device to test.If its the ariel input then i suspect your earth screening is touching your centre core of the coaxyou can find detailed instructions on how to properly terminate coax on the web but essentially the plastic sleeve should seperate the centre copper core from the outer braid and they shouldnt touch. This could also be the problem behind the wall plate or socket your connecting too. have a look at the back of the plate make sure the two parts of the cable are seperate and secured with the screws. You could have a faulty socket on the back of the TV a dry joint etc that would require resoldering. This is quite common especially if someone has accidentally tugged the cable at a sideways angle and bent the contacts on the circuit board. If its the scart cable you need to have it seated properly at both ends, you sometimes lose sound / colour if its not fully in but generally the pins on these can go faulty and the soldered contacts can break.

[COLOR="Magenta"]I'm a little confused here sorry ... It's a Lexsor Lcd, not sure of model number.

I don't understand how I could test it with a kettle lead as the power cable is wired into the back of the TV, you can't remove it (that is the problem by the way, the power lead)

It has a HDMI from a Virgin Media V+ box, but that isn't the problem as the Tv does the same thing when nothing connected and just plugging into the wall wiggling the plug you get the blue menu screen, but with the plug all the way in you get nothing.[/COLOR]

ath007;7385216

Go back to the start.Where the tv is normally plugged in does a bed side … Go back to the start.Where the tv is normally plugged in does a bed side lamp or hairdrier work in the same socket?yes - then it must be the lead to the tv or loose spade/terminal tv connector inside the tv where the cable goes in or possibly a dry joint on the power supply board.if no then your mains socket has failed, some sockets i believe are double pole and so you may have a break/burnt up connection in the socket you are plugging into. If so plug the tv into another socket in the room - if tv picture returns then your normal tv 240v socket has failed - this can happen if like me you turn everything off before going to bed night after night after night and so finally the switch and socket fails.

[COLOR="Magenta"]Yes ... anything else works plugged into the same socket ... we have a spare TV plugged into it as I speak[/COLOR]

right ok we have established its power related, sorry you must have just posted before or while i was typing about it being directly wired in the back of the telly and not kettle socket style.

Have you tried the TV in another socket? i know that you have tried other devices in this socket but that doesn't necesarily mean its 100% ok as another member pointed out. If the TV works in another socket hey presto its the original socket that is faulty. If the TV doesnt work in another socket then obviously its the cable now i think you will only have the two wires. You can use any mains rated flex just replace the plug and cable and it should work fine. Thirteen amp fuse on the plug. out of interest does the plug have a plastic upper pin and have the two lower pins got plastic insulation coating about half way down the pins? If so i think changing the plug might fix it. By wiggling the plug in the socket you could be establishing a solid contact between the pins and the inner prongs of the socket. or you could be temporarily fixing a short in the cable. Its trial and error im afraid. But defo don't throw the tv if by wigling the connection you can get a blue screen as its obviously the mains input and not the actual tv internals.

Original Poster

scribbler;7385781

right ok we have established its power related, sorry you must have just … right ok we have established its power related, sorry you must have just posted before or while i was typing about it being directly wired in the back of the telly and not kettle socket style. Have you tried the TV in another socket? i know that you have tried other devices in this socket but that doesn't necesarily mean its 100% ok as another member pointed out. If the TV works in another socket hey presto its the original socket that is faulty. If the TV doesnt work in another socket then obviously its the cable now i think you will only have the two wires. You can use any mains rated flex just replace the plug and cable and it should work fine. Thirteen amp fuse on the plug. out of interest does the plug have a plastic upper pin and have the two lower pins got plastic insulation coating about half way down the pins? If so i think changing the plug might fix it. By wiggling the plug in the socket you could be establishing a solid contact between the pins and the inner prongs of the socket. or you could be temporarily fixing a short in the cable. Its trial and error im afraid. But defo don't throw the tv if by wigling the connection you can get a blue screen as its obviously the mains input and not the actual tv internals.

No problem, I appreciate the help

I have tried the TV in another socket, and still the same issue.

I'm not with the TV right now but I'm sure it doesn't have plastic parts on the plug pins itself, not entirely sure though.

When you say "any mains rated flex" ... is that readily available at say B&Q for instance?

Yes anywhere should sell mains flex and 13 amp plug for domestic use. Just ask the ex- sparky who usually reside on the electrical isle in the bigger B&Q stores they may even be able to help if you describe the problem.

I wouldn't recomend this for long term but if the fault is in the middle of the cable you could cut the cable leaving only A few inch sticking out of the tv then just attach the new cable and plug via a chock block,
    plastic terminal with two screws one either side, then wrap it up with electrical insulating tape while you test it.
    This will rule out the cable and the plug then you can take it from there. I can't stress enough though that you shouldn't leave it like this if it works it should be rewired internally by a competent person. Iv'e done this on a HiFi when the original cable was very short to enable it to reach a socket. Its probably more involved getting the back off the TV though My amp only had 4 screws holding the case lid on.

Original Poster

Thanks so much for the help ... I'll be off to B&Q as soon as to get some cable and a plug and hopefully get it up and working again ... I'll be sure to let you know if all goes well

Thanks again

scribbler;7386144

I wouldn't recomend this for long term but if the fault is in the middle … I wouldn't recomend this for long term but if the fault is in the middle of the cable you could cut the cable leaving only A few inch sticking out of the tv then just attach the new cable and plug via a chock block,plastic terminal with two screws one either side, then wrap it up with electrical insulating tape while you test it.

Sod that, might as well just cut the lead right back, put a plug on it and use an extension lead. A damn sight safer.

Original Poster

Well ... I went out and got some cable/flex today and borrowed a soldering iron as the old wires were solidered on, rewired, added plug and ... still the exact same problem

Oh well, worth a try and will probably have to go out and buy a new TV

Thanks for all the help

Silly Silly Silly suggestion: Can you not somehow stick it while its half way in?

navidnadali;7404345

Silly Silly Silly suggestion: Can you not somehow stick it while its half … Silly Silly Silly suggestion: Can you not somehow stick it while its half way in?

how dangerous is that lol you want to burn the house down or have some kid stick is fingers in it umm yeah right o

loops;7393784

Well ... I went out and got some cable/flex today and borrowed a … Well ... I went out and got some cable/flex today and borrowed a soldering iron as the old wires were solidered on, rewired, added plug and ... still the exact same problem Oh well, worth a try and will probably have to go out and buy a new TV :(Thanks for all the help

Did you change the plug though, if you rememeber that was my initial incling although i suspect the original was mouled on so you would have had to change it. Oh never mind at least you gave it a shot. Look on the bright side you now have an exuse for a nice shiny new TV

What a great thread, this website is so helpfull :-)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game74044544
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468
      3. Spotify Family Premium share721
      4. Best £500 student laptop choice?11

See more discussions