Anyone know how to get Parrells Desktop for Mac cheap?

Posted 20th Jan
Hi HUKD community,

I need to run one Windows app on my MacBook. Long story, but the developer doesn't make a Mac version.

Anyone know how to get Parrells for cheaper than the £70 they are asking for?

Cheers
Community Updates

Groups

9 Comments
£8 off bit clunky but what about virtual box for free and run a full version of windows (need license for that mind you)
have you tried using VirtualBox as that's free?
Could also try wine and crossover if you dont want the full os install...should be able to check beforehand if your app is compatible.
Bootcamp a possibilty?
Cheers guys. Been a Mac user since 2012, and always had a Windows Laptop at work. It's never been a problem before as most work we do involves office applications, which obviously cross platforms smoothly. I'll look into some the options above. Hadn't come across virtual box, I was attracted to Parallel as I didn't need a Windows licence.
thearbiter6520/01/2020 17:27

Cheers guys. Been a Mac user since 2012, and always had a Windows Laptop …Cheers guys. Been a Mac user since 2012, and always had a Windows Laptop at work. It's never been a problem before as most work we do involves office applications, which obviously cross platforms smoothly. I'll look into some the options above. Hadn't come across virtual box, I was attracted to Parallel as I didn't need a Windows licence.

More overhead with virtualbox but depends if you can deal with it, other solutions better probably.ultimately for ease it will prob come back to parallels if your app isn't supported by the others. If it is in an office, worth asking IT if they use Citrix or remote desktop services
colinged20/01/2020 19:42

More overhead with virtualbox but depends if you can deal with it, other …More overhead with virtualbox but depends if you can deal with it, other solutions better probably.ultimately for ease it will prob come back to parallels if your app isn't supported by the others. If it is in an office, worth asking IT if they use Citrix or remote desktop services

Yeah I might take my Mac in to one of them. Thanks
Wine + Wine Bottler is a good combo if the application is fairly lightweight, it allows you to create a self contained OS:X/macOS app. I used it to create a Mac version of Tarsia (mmlsoft.com/ind…sia) for the maths staff at work.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants