Groups

Anyone know how to get the smell of smoke out of leather?????

Bought a leather bed off someone and it stinks of stale smoke, brand new though and lovely so I want to keep it but need advice on how to get rid of the smell before using it....anyone know any secrets on how to do this????

11 Comments

A LEATHER bed? Really?

Hot soapy water with a flannel. that what I use on my leather sofa and i used to smoke:thumbsup:

You need: oxy clean or vanish powder 1/2 a spoonful
    1 capful of your favorite fabric softener
    6 cups of water
    and 1/2 capful of color safe bleach - ace - or same

you are going to be surprised - not just getting rid of smell but the stains that come out

still hasnt stopped me smoking thou':oops:

Cant understand why people smoke in there own homes :?

I dont smoke and if i go in someones home who smokes you can really smell it

Whats the point in having a nice home but having it stinking of stale smoke (gross)

Original Poster

A-n-d-y;3280689

Cant understand why people smoke in there own homes :?I dont smoke and … Cant understand why people smoke in there own homes :?I dont smoke and if i go in someones home who smokes you can really smell it :oWhats the point in having a nice home but having it stinking of stale smoke (gross)

I know...the bed is really lovely but I couldnt bear to sleep in it when it stinks....it is slightly fading. The bed is new and they only had it a couple of weeks, so they must smoke like chimneys!!
    thanks for all the advice.

fairy liquid is a good leather cleaner along with saddle soap!!!it miffs me when they sell you them cleaning kits for a stupid amount :@

It depends. There are quite a few different leather finishes and which one you have could make a difference to what you could/should use. For example, if you use soap (or bleach) on aniline leather you could ruin it in a second. It's likely to be a more durable finish on a bed though so pure soap or saddle soap is probably OK. Check online and see if you can identify the finish before starting. A porous leather is, I think, more likely to be damaged with water - and it's also more likely to hold a smell.

Something called "Fullers Earth" is great at absorbing grease stains from leather - I saved an expensive RL leather jacket a few weeks ago - whether it would remove a smell too I don't know but it's worth investigating. But it's a powder so can be messy. Bicarbonate of soda sprinkled on the surface MAY work too - I have no idea about its use on leather but it's a good deodouriser for most things.

For my leather car seats I use Gliptone liquid soap. They make leather conditioner too which is probably a good thing to apply afterwards to stop it from drying out and cracking in the long term (which it WILL do if you don't "feed" it). Reapply it every six to twelve months. It's great stuff and actually smells like leather for a while. I'm sure it's recommended by a number of high end car clubs.

liquidleather.com/

You can probably buy it on "the bay".

a cheap way to do it is to use baby wipes - as well as cleaning the leather it also leaves a nice fragrance and it softens the leather to help stop 'cracking'

Banned

fabreeze

spray Lysol- the "crisp linen" on it and let it soak

Banned

spray Lysol- the "crisp linen" on it and let it soak8)

[img]hipforums.com/new…php?albumid=10015&pictureid=91041[/img]
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7191353
      2. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2974
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1629
      4. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow55

See more discussions