Groups
    EXPIRED

Anyone know how to trace a mobile phone

A friend got a number of anonymous texts at the begining of the year saying his wife was having an affair. This turned out to be true but they decided to make a go of it. The texts have now started again, saying he is being taken for a fool. The recent texts are from a different number but he is pretty certain they are from the same person as they have an odd way of writing. He would really like to know who is sending them, he has tried phoning and texting the numbers but can get no reponse. Is there a way to trace who "owns" a number?
    Thanks.

28 Comments

Only if you are the Police.

So.........no.

Just tell him to text the number asking for exact details and try and win them over to help end the marraige (as that is obviously what this person is trying to do) eventually to ask if they can meet up and see if that works. If not just keep listing the number on forums, wont stop it but at least would slow them down...

Tell your friend to tell his "Mrs" to stop messing around, and the texts will most likely stop.

No, it's covered by the data protection act and no network would give out the info.

You could report it to the police, they can get the info without any problems (but they can't pass that on to you).

yes i do give us a min and i will get it up

steve1221;6417057

No, it's covered by the data protection act and no network would give out … No, it's covered by the data protection act and no network would give out the info.You could report it to the police, they can get the info without any problems (but they can't pass that on to you).

well possibly they could due to harrasment, but afraid a few texts wont substitute that!

Just post the number on here and were prank call them at all hours!

right what you need is : and this is important

paper
    pencil
    tracing papper
    another sheet of paper to re-copy onto if needed as back up ;-)

whola one traced phone number but dont tell everone how to do it

mobile118.co.uk/dir….pl

what was that big story this year about mobile phone directories.............lest we forget

Original Poster

jackt010;6417078

right what you need is : and this is importantpaperpenciltracing … right what you need is : and this is importantpaperpenciltracing papperanother sheet of paper to re-copy onto if needed as back up ;-)whola one traced phone number but dont tell everone how to do it

That was quite funny...I actually thought you knew a way to start with!

Original Poster

I did wonder about posting the numbers but thought it might be against the rules. Also, the person has done him a favour really as he had no idea at all what was going on, so they don't deserve to be called endlessly. I think maybe the idea of asking to meet might be a good idea, as I assume they are reading texts even if they aren't responding. REP added to you all!

There are internet services that can provide you with the current postcode of the number, (only if it's still in a phone and is on though, if not it cannot check but you will still be charged for the service)..

Original Poster

DudeyGeeza;6417123

There are internet services that can provide you with the current … There are internet services that can provide you with the current postcode of the number, (only if it's still in a phone and is on though, if not it cannot check but you will still be charged for the service)..

Do you have a link?

agnes;6417132

Do you have a link?

Hmm seems since we used this service last (couple of years ago) there has been a clampdown, you can no longer track a mobile phone secretly in the uk (legally)..

Before it was just a simple payment and you got 5 updates, now you can only do it if you own the handset and can verify the pin sent to it..

Sorry..:oops:

seriously, use google and search for the number. you might get a hit.

add spaces in odd places and search again - you still wont find him, probably.

so now, you do the same thing - get a 'random' phone (buy from ebay/payg from argos)

text them saying you know you they wanna remain anon - and thats ok - but what is their ultimate aim? - is it to end the relationship or strengthen it? it is a little confusing at the mo.

you could get the police involved by 'naming' the strange number in your contacts on your phone as 'Irritant caller' then texting yourself threatening texts and calling those self-sent threatening texts from 'lrritant caller'

(the 1st was capital i - the second was small L - see how they look the same?)

anyway - hope you get a cop who doesn't know difference and start the ball rolling.

just depends how much you want this ended.

-radishnet

Agree that it will only stop when your mates wife stops messing about.

sounds like he just needs a new phone number ?

Doubt the ex partner would still be bothered with this if there wasn't an underlying reason either xx

Do you think its your friends wife bit on the side texting your friend.He could be doing it cause he wants the wife to leave her husband or the husband to throw her out

Original Poster

patti;6417564

Do you think its your friends wife bit on the side texting your friend.He … Do you think its your friends wife bit on the side texting your friend.He could be doing it cause he wants the wife to leave her husband or the husband to throw her out

I think this is the case but he doesn't.

casparwhite;6417572

http://www.trackapartner.com/

omg, thats soooo amoral

Original Poster

radishnet;6417155

seriously, use google and search for the number. you might get a hit.add … seriously, use google and search for the number. you might get a hit.add spaces in odd places and search again - you still wont find him, probably.so now, you do the same thing - get a 'random' phone (buy from ebay/payg from argos)text them saying you know you they wanna remain anon - and thats ok - but what is their ultimate aim? - is it to end the relationship or strengthen it? it is a little confusing at the mo.you could get the police involved by 'naming' the strange number in your contacts on your phone as 'Irritant caller' then texting yourself threatening texts and calling those self-sent threatening texts from 'lrritant caller' (the 1st was capital i - the second was small L - see how they look the same?)anyway - hope you get a cop who doesn't know difference and start the ball rolling.just depends how much you want this ended.-radishnet

We've tried googling but no luck. Don't really want to invovle the police as the texter hasn't done anything wrong. In fact he has done my friend a favour. But he wants to know who it is so he can find out how they know and what they know, rather than having to rely on them texting him when they want.

I had this prob the other day (wanting to trace a number) got my brother to call from his pub to 'confirm a booking':

brother: hi, its XXX calling from XXXXXX, I just want to confirm your booking, 8pm for 6 is that still right?
    her: im sorry i think you have the wrong number...
    brother: oh is this not Emma?
    her: no my names Sarah
    Brother: oh right...sorry...its the right number....I guess your not Emma Smith then?
    her: no im sorry....someone must have given you the wrong number...Im Sarah (cant remember surname)
    Brother: OK then...thanks for your time...

worked a treat

Banned

agnes;6417944

We've tried googling but no luck. Don't really want to invovle the police … We've tried googling but no luck. Don't really want to invovle the police as the texter hasn't done anything wrong. In fact he has done my friend a favour. But he wants to know who it is so he can find out how they know and what they know, rather than having to rely on them texting him when they want.

if thats the way he feels thenm id suggest he moves on with his life and forget about the bird and the texts

although easier to say than do:)

agnes;6417944

We've tried googling but no luck. Don't really want to invovle the police … We've tried googling but no luck. Don't really want to invovle the police as the texter hasn't done anything wrong. In fact he has done my friend a favour. But he wants to know who it is so he can find out how they know and what they know, rather than having to rely on them texting him when they want.

in all probability this texter is prolly even the other guy, or one of his friends... sorry hun xx

Sound like it was the 3rd party (the cheater) that text you in the first place using a payg free sim.
    The aim was for you to find out since the woman wasn't going to do anything (i.e. leave your mate)

Has your mate left the girl? If so, think the texter's (cheater) plan worked. And now he's just texted again to brag... saying you have been taken as a fool.

think if you want to know who it is, you could pretend to be:
    + a Pizza agent
    + ring up using work's phone and say you just won a prize, could you please provide details.
    + Confirm a booking for a flight/hotel

Original Poster

taurus_the_bull;6418495

don't know if this is any … don't know if this is any goodhttp://www.mobilelocate.co.uk/?gclid=CPun-OKUlJ0CFaBb4wod60JJ3Q

This looked a really good idea but it won't work for us as the person owning the mobile has to approve it. REP for the idea though. Have now left a message on the mobile - only one of the numbers is working - about an overdue library book (thought that seemed non-scam like) and will wait and see....

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767501
    2. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7311388
    3. Tower Hill - Explosion reported.. (Phone charger??)44
    4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17886407

See more discussions