Groups

Anyone know how to wire up a 12V horn with mic?

Alright people, I need to wire up this horn with mic to my MX5 and have no clue where to start. It arrived today and all I have is a red and black wire, no instructions.

Anyone know where to start?

ebay.co.uk/itm…125?hash=item2ef19a038d:g:qHYAAOSwGXtXg7Lm

18 Comments

Your link is dead but if all you have are red and black wires then its just a power supply so unless it has an input in the back of the device or an already attached PA mic then its just a horn.
    Black wire is neg and red wire is poss supply.It depends how you want it rigged as to which supply you chose, ie, existing horn connection, direct battery or just when key is turned the the on position but that also depends on the unit itself.

Ok, then it a simple Neg and Poss fitting. What you need to figure out is, where you want it to go, bearing in mind it will hardly be waterproof and do you have enough lead to fit it from where you want it to go, otherwise it might just have to remain inside the car cockpit. If it is to stay inside the cockpit then you can use a cigarette lighter fitting plug for a few quid , simply connect the 2 wires to the plug and then it can be used in the cigarette lighter for a power source.
    Edited by: "rhinopaul" 8th Feb

Seriously? Are you 10 years old?

BTW I believe the use of such things is illegal. Too loud and imitates ambulances etc.

Interesting discussion here: intelligentanswers.co.uk/ind…455

Which says amongst other things:

Although these musics horns are sold in the UK (like a lot of things, they are illegal to use but not sell or own), the manufacturers do warn against their use on the road. For example, Mountney, say in their adverts "As with most fun things these horns are for show use, so if you connect them to your car remember to wire them to a separate switch and keep your original horn for all the legal stuff. (Note : that includes the MOT test as a car will fail with this type of horn fitted)
    Edited by: "dave80" 8th Feb

rhinopaul

Ok, then it a simple Neg and Poss fitting. What you need to figure out … Ok, then it a simple Neg and Poss fitting. What you need to figure out is, where you want it to go, bearing in mind it will hardly be waterproof and do you have enough lead to fit it from where you want it to go, otherwise it might just have to remain inside the car cockpit. If it is to stay inside the cockpit then you can use a cigarette lighter fitting plug for a few quid , simply connect the 2 wires to the plug and then it can be used in the cigarette lighter for a power source.

At 300db i wouldnt advise it being in the " cockpit " you'll be deaf within a few days

Original Poster

rhinopaul

Ok, then it a simple Neg and Poss fitting. What you need to figure out … Ok, then it a simple Neg and Poss fitting. What you need to figure out is, where you want it to go, bearing in mind it will hardly be waterproof and do you have enough lead to fit it from where you want it to go, otherwise it might just have to remain inside the car cockpit. If it is to stay inside the cockpit then you can use a cigarette lighter fitting plug for a few quid , simply connect the 2 wires to the plug and then it can be used in the cigarette lighter for a power source.

This is what I was hoping.

On my MX5 mk1, the battery is in the boot so it is dry. I was thinking of chucking it in the boot out of the way, so a super long cigarette lighter attachment to my cockpit sounds like the best idea so far!

Original Poster

dave80

Seriously? Are you 10 years old?BTW I believe the use of such things is … Seriously? Are you 10 years old?BTW I believe the use of such things is illegal. Too loud and imitates ambulances etc.

I bought it for the mic purposes, not to imitate a boat or a police car with the sirens, they were just added extras.

And I get it, anti-bants, it is not to be used on the road I know it is purely for mic purposes, because it will be funny, when me and my friends are travelling around Europe.

Edited by: "darkstryder360" 8th Feb

This is what I was hoping.On my MX5 mk1, the battery is in the boot so it … This is what I was hoping.On my MX5 mk1, the battery is in the boot so it is dry. I was thinking of chucking it in the boot out of the way, so a super long cigarette lighter attachment to my cockpit sounds like the best idea so far!

sounds like the easiest idea, but your voice is gonna sound a bit stupid coming from the boot. stick it in the engine bay. rock on supernat

Depending on the amps pulled it might need a separate fused connection.
    5A might be on the edge for a cigarette lighter output for some cars

darkstryder360

I bought it for the mic purposes, not to imitate a boat or a police car … I bought it for the mic purposes, not to imitate a boat or a police car with the sirens, they were just added extras.And I get it, anti-bants, it is not to be used on the road I know it is purely for mic purposes, because it will be funny, when me and my friends are travelling around Europe.

​No it won't.

Oh, and by the way, 300 dB? That would make this £12 piece of tat the 2nd loudest noise in history, beaten only by the Tunguska meteor impact.

Anyway, run the red to anywhere on the body and the black to a positive feed.

craigstephens

Anyway, run the red to anywhere on the body and the black to a positive … Anyway, run the red to anywhere on the body and the black to a positive feed.

It's the other way around ;). Black is ground red is live.

shauneco

It's the other way around ;). Black is ground red is live.

​I think you'll find, for everyone elses sake, that I'm right.

craigstephens

Look at car battery, red is +
    Some electronics will still work with reverse polarity hence why you probably haven't fried your electronics ;). Many years ago it was the opposite.
    Edited by: ".MUFC." 9th Feb

Original Poster

craigstephens

Certainly some miserable people on here.

Thanks everyone else so far for the help. Once I get it all wired in I am sure every single person on the planet will hear it and it will cause an earthquake due to its incredible 300db output

shauneco

Look at car battery, red is + Some electronics will still work with … Look at car battery, red is + Some electronics will still work with reverse polarity hence why you probably haven't fried your electronics ;). Many years ago it was the opposite.

​I know mate, I was hoping the OP didn't know though.

craigstephens

Unfortunately it will still probably work wired backwards.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…44
      3. Review Hub Monthly Competition - Win a OnePlus 5!88
      4. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat1010

See more discussions