Anyone know if i will be able to get freesat (when it launches) through a DVB-S card?

3 replies
Found 30th Dec 2007
Hi people i am currently in the process of buying/ making a media centre and i want it to be compatible for when freesat launches so i can get HD. Does anybody know if a DVB-S card will do the trick or will i need a DVB-S2 card which costs alot more? and also a slightly less important question, will the HD channels on it be broadcasting in 720p, 1080i or 1080p?

Thanks, all help is apprcieated

KK

3 Comments

you will need a cam such as dragon or t-rex, these are as far as im aware the only cams that will work with nds (encryption used by sky)

[SIZE=3]WHAT FORMAT WILL SKY'S HDTV SYSTEM USE?
· Sky 's HDTV broadcasting system and HDTV receiver will support two HDTV formats:

- 720 / P / 50 (Progressively Scanned picture)

- 1080 / I / 25 (Interlaced picture)

Last bit taken from digital spy
[/SIZE]

The OP is not talking about [url]www.freesatfromsky.com[/url] (which requires a £20 one-off Sky card if you already have a dish and sky box but no longer want to subscribe to their monthly service) but the BBC/ITV collaboration freesat service to be launched in 2008 and more info at freesat.co.uk/hom…php.

Yes, its being broadcast via astra satellites just like sky who also rent transponder space from them but that doesn't mean sky have anything to do with it or that it will use NDS encryption.

oh sorry i thought it was the sky freesat
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 48 hour working time directive58
    2. Negative ratings for posts33
    3. Camera lens77
    4. Gatwick Airport Parking11

See more discussions