Groups

Anyone know if you can claim help with school uniforms??

My son is starting school in sept and I was wondering if you could still claim for help with the cost of school uniform? Im sure there used to be something like it years ago when I went but cant find any info now. Anyone know any info? Thank you

38 Comments

I think you have to be unemployed or earning below a certain wage and the child has to be going into a specific yr...

I think its also dependent on your local council.

I'd give the council a ring if I were you and ask them if they provide a uniform grant of any sort x x

Hope this helps.

Whole uniform (minus shoes) costs around £5 in any supermarket

Banned

If not, I'm sure if you contact the school directly and explain your circumstances, they will confidentially assist you where they can. I think Governers have an ability to offer financial help, or alternatively offer you a weekly payment system to pay off the cost slowly for you. HTH. x

lol i wishm my sons (x 2) secondary school blazers £45 a go, without the rest...inc 2 different PE kits

Original Poster

I can get the trousers, shorts and shoes and pe kit from supermarket but the polo shirts, jumpers, fleeces, coats and school bags all need the schools logo embroidered onto it, this is where a cheap uniform suddenly becomes expensive :-(

HI, it depends where you live and how much money is coming in the house hold. But you can ask the school if you can apply for help, generally if your child qualifies for free school dinners then you can apply via a wulfris form. This is if you are in Hampshire. So something like this could be available where you are.

Banned

yes you can get a school clothing grant its £55 in Scotland xx

yummymummymel;5778309

I can get the trousers, shorts and shoes and pe kit from supermarket but … I can get the trousers, shorts and shoes and pe kit from supermarket but the polo shirts, jumpers, fleeces, coats and school bags all need the schools logo embroidered onto it, this is where a cheap uniform suddenly becomes expensive :-(

This is the schools ripping people off. This practice should be banned. :viking:

peodude;5778291

Whole uniform (minus shoes) costs around £5 in any supermarket

I wish!!!!!

starsparkle2311;5778319

Not when your kids go to a school that requires the 'official' school … Not when your kids go to a school that requires the 'official' school uniform it doesn't:thumbsup:£60 I've just had to shell out on mine, that's for 3 jumpers and 2 PE kits:w00t:

Our school is the same, official PE kit and science overalls, home ec apron, plus blazer, house colours, specific skirts, blouses and sweaters of different knit for different lessons... costs about £250 per child per yr, ish.

Oh and it's in a lovely shade of GREEN!! Poor kids lol

choc1969;5778349

All you need to know … All you need to know here:http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Schoolslearninganddevelopment/SchoolLife/DG_4016078

ahhh you're so helpful choc x x

ClarityofMind;5778372

ahhh you're so helpful choc x x

thanks hun

back in the day (1970's) we got a full clothing grant, but schools now seem to top up their income by fleecing the parents :roll:

they have to legally justify their prices though and offer low income families discounts, although some schools have second hand stock available :thumbsup:

Banned

student_mummy;5778321

yes you can get a school clothing grant its £55 in Scotland xx

its £70

choc1969;5778402

thanks hun :)back in the day (1970's) we got a full clothing grant, but … thanks hun :)back in the day (1970's) we got a full clothing grant, but schools now seem to top up their income by fleecing the parents :roll:they have to legally justify their prices though and offer low income families discounts, although some schools have second hand stock available :thumbsup:

Yes, my three yr old goes to a private nursery and his uniform is all in red as he's in "red" group. ( Not rocket science this lol )

Next yr he goes up into blue group so I must make sure I hand all his red clothes on to someone x x

ClarityofMind;5778453

Yes, my three yr old goes to a private nursery and his uniform is all in … Yes, my three yr old goes to a private nursery and his uniform is all in red as he's in "red" group. ( Not rocket science this lol )Next yr he goes up into blue group so I must make sure I hand all his red clothes on to someone x x

thats a really good idea, perhaps the nursey can set up a clothing pool :?

seems such a waste if they just get thrown out

choc1969;5778480

thats a really good idea, perhaps the nursey can set up a clothing pool … thats a really good idea, perhaps the nursey can set up a clothing pool :?seems such a waste if they just get thrown out

Yes, I shall mention it to the manager see what she thinks x x

starsparkle2311;5778486

My kids school have started an embroidered labelling scheme now, so no … My kids school have started an embroidered labelling scheme now, so no second hand stock, I'm sure I could apply for the help tho', just didn't think of it beforehand.I lol'd when the Head Teacher 'highly recommended' the school fleeces and little extras, stuff that, 2 weeks after they start in September there's a 2 day trip I have to shell out £120 for, worth it actually, 2 nights on my own, woohoo:thumbsup:

oohh noted.

I shall be round for fun and frolics then :whistling: ;-)

Original Poster

choc1969;5778349

All you need to know … All you need to know here:http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Schoolslearninganddevelopment/SchoolLife/DG_4016078

I went through this site the other day and filled in a form and all they sent me was another form for free school dinners, I'm going to have to phone them, and no doubt be on hold for ages by which time i could have spent the cost of the call on uniform lol,

Thanks for your help guys and gals!!
    :thumbsup:

It depends on your local authority. I know mine doesnt contribute, they used to for people on low income or benefits but they stopped it now.

Ring your local council to enquire.

starsparkle2311;5778543

yeh my kids first school does that, it is a good idea, it's my youngest … yeh my kids first school does that, it is a good idea, it's my youngest daughters last week there next week, so I'll be handing her stuff in there.TBH the schools here aren't that bad, the main item of clothing they ask you to buy is the school sweatshirt, tie, pe kit, the rest I can pick up pretty cheap from Asda etc.It's still pricey tho':)

'specially when they lose stuff or bring home ONE hockey shield and half a pair of socks lol

starsparkle2311;5778553

You'd be more than welcome sweetheart, party at starsparkle's, I'll send … You'd be more than welcome sweetheart, party at starsparkle's, I'll send the invites out now, should I? lol

woohooooooooooooo

I'm in !!

I'll get the booze, nuts and contraceptives ;-)

Pahh..arrr...ARRRR...arrrrrrrrrr...TAYYYYYYYY :w00t:;-)

starsparkle2311;5778635

LMAO @ nuts, followed by contraceptives, you bringing men round … LMAO @ nuts, followed by contraceptives, you bringing men round too?Here's me thinking it would be an innocent girlie night:oops:CoM you frisky lady:whistling::p

God hon, I'm well frisky tonight...

I'll bring men if you want me to, but we could do just as well without them :w00t:

Stopped it in Kent ages back,you need to look at your county website and see if they still offer,it be like under the education part and search in uniform grant or something,it's usually around the £50 mark per child.
    If schools are not ripping off with only having their own sweaters then it's fairly cheap to get school clothes in likes of George @ Asda,Tesco etc fairly cheap.I buy the cheapest I can get,I also stocked up at times if been reduced a lot for another time,however I only buy shoes from Clarks or Startright for them for school.
    Clarks actually sent us away last year as the shoe fitter was not happy with the width fitting,said they too wide for my daughter and advised Startright,she is less than F fitting.
    My kids feet are not growing super quick and they seem to keep them in fairly good condition,so I don't mind spending £30-40 on shoes a time,they actually wear the heels out before they grow out of them.

starsparkle2311;5778743

Er, nooooooo, much as I like you CoM, I like a man to see me off for the … Er, nooooooo, much as I like you CoM, I like a man to see me off for the night,looooooool:w00t:So yes, bring plenty, do you have pics I could peruse beforehand?I'm frisky too, darling, must be something in the air:whistling:

I dunno.. might have to empty the local pub for ya ;-):w00t:

starsparkle2311;5778790

Good god, no way woman, if you seen the 'talent' on offer at my local, … Good god, no way woman, if you seen the 'talent' on offer at my local, you'd realise why I don't go out too often - think Michael Jackson Thriller video!!!:w00t:

lmao!!!

Alrighty then... homeless men it is then :w00t:

starsparkle2311;5778805

I actually went out with a homeless guy once, he was well … I actually went out with a homeless guy once, he was well fit;-):whistling:

lol, and you threw him out each night?? :-D

Banned

toni15500;5778403

its £70

Its £55 where i live

starsparkle2311;5778836

nah, I used to go to his squat, one of the nicest blokes I've had the … nah, I used to go to his squat, one of the nicest blokes I've had the pleasure to meet funnily enough:w00t:

:thumbsup:

Banned

starsparkle2311;5778836

nah, I used to go to his squat, one of the nicest blokes I've had the … nah, I used to go to his squat, one of the nicest blokes I've had the pleasure to meet funnily enough:w00t:

lol, what a story!!! :lol:

student_mummy;5778848

lol, what a story!!! :lol:

Sounds good to me lol

Besides its not half as naughty as Claude :w00t:

I know its doesn't help with the grant bit-but M&S ahve 3 for 2 at the moment, free delivery on school stuff and also there is a 15% off code about.

I didn't know about the code-but did two orders two packs of 3 polo shirts and pumps for £6.20 delivered, and two lots of 5 pairs of socks & school shorts for £8 delivered.

Banned

starsparkle2311;5778862

I haven't told it yet, lol, there's more...............Hey sm, you good … I haven't told it yet, lol, there's more...............Hey sm, you good babes? I'll check your chit chat thread out soon,ok?Hope you have a good question ready:thumbsup:

lol, im okay hun a bit ill with the piggy rubbish but im surviving lol!

Yeh, ill think of one for when you appear :-D xx

lucerysmum;5778992

I know its doesn't help with the grant bit-but M&S ahve 3 for 2 at the … I know its doesn't help with the grant bit-but M&S ahve 3 for 2 at the moment, free delivery on school stuff and also there is a 15% off code about. I didn't know about the code-but did two orders two packs of 3 polo shirts and pumps for £6.20 delivered, and two lots of 5 pairs of socks & school shorts for £8 delivered.

I will take a look.

vinylandtrinkets;5779359

i get most of my sons uniform in the supermarket, apart from the … i get most of my sons uniform in the supermarket, apart from the trousers, shoes,jumpers. the jumpers have to have the school logo on them and they are now £18.00 each as hes in 8-9, same goes for the homework bag and pe bag has to have the logo and bought from the school as no where else sells them.Does anyone know where i can get trousers that are made from a soft dark gray material with out the picky cotton?? hes driving me nuts with " they make me itch"..lol my friends do really well out of me with his trousers that still have the tags attachedOp speak to your local council as some stopped giving grants years ago, as ours did and they have just restarted it this year for people who are unemployed only though

£18 is rip off,I think they about £13 here and they so poor quality,I refused to buy them and made excuses,they very rough quality and I said they would irrate the younger ones excema.

My eldest got his for free as 1 year they changed their name of school and give everyone a free school uniform,it was stupid waste of cash really in some aspects as they give them out around May,so those in the last year will only get a couple mths wear out of some items as be no good for secondary school all of it.

Luckily the next school my kids will be going to,while they have their own you can buy from school office,they are ok for other shop bought ones aslong right colour.

Banned

snowflake;5779557

Both my sons go to a school where they have to wear a specific fleece … Both my sons go to a school where they have to wear a specific fleece with the school logo, to buy the fleece it comes as a package with the trousers and shirt, for a total of £65 of course one fleece isn't enough so two need to be bought, therefor £130 each, ok so I get extra shirts from tesco etc, and then same with sports kit, comes as a compulsory package, tracksuit included costing £55, both the boys doing BTEC Sports so need 2 lots as I cant keep up with washing them day in day out realistically although I have tried (I work full time). As I say, I'm a single parent and work full time, no benefits, no free school meals, no help with the train fare to school, our borough doesn't offer grants for uniforms, although people I know have been able to claim budgeting loans and crisis loans for them if they are on benefits.It infuriates me, every penny I have goes on the rent and the bills and I have no way of affording their uniforms without not paying bills and getting into debt.How pathetic is that :x

£480 :w00t: :w00t: (i think, quick count lol)

Bloody hell, Schools are totally ripping people off!

So glad my daughter is going where she is, they have a school uniform but as long as you have a part of it (i.e. the tie) then its fine. I dont like the school jumpers or poloshirts so i have bought her 3 nice detailed white shirts (£9), 3 girly white poloshirts (£4), 2 Black skirts (£6), 2 school ties (£4), Black Tights (£5), School shoes (£15) and 6 back cotton jumpers (from M&S, 3 for 2 and 15% off - only £6!) so thats....£49

ive just had asda delivery for clothes.
    Bought 2 jumpers, 2 shirts, 2 trousers, Shoes,Coat and underwear AND Pe kit. I think it was £44 quid.

For some ridiculous reason our local comp has 3 different uniforms

Years 7 & 8 - green school blazer with logo, white shirt & tie
    Years 9 & 10 - polo shirt with logo, green sweatshirt with logo
    Year 11 - polo shirt with logo, black v-necked jumper
    All items with logo can only be bought from a school outfitters and are very expensive compared to George, Tesco etc. Kids also have to have PE kit that has a logo on including the football socks!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1918
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would30124
      3. word association Game74044563
      4. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?33

See more discussions