Anyone know much about primary school appeals?

11 replies
Found 15th Apr 2011
I'm still a bit (a lot) stunned as this morning I logged into Primary School admissions to find that my little girl has been allocated a place at a completely arbitrary school.

We did all the right things, application in on time, applied to 4 schools (the 4 closest to us) etc etc. We're told that as parents we have choices over where to send our children to school to end up in situations like this. It is the worst school in the area with a significant number of children not reaching the minimum attainment for English in their Sats - I presume it must have many children with English as their second language. It is more than 3 times the distance than even the furthest of the the 4 schools we applied to.

I know it's early days, I'm waiting for the paper form to decline the place (I am honestly prepared to home school rather than send her there) and go onto waiting lists at all 4 of our preferred choices.

If this doesn't work I fully intend to appeal the decision, particularly as I have a daughter a year younger who has been offered a place at the other school's nurseries. It would be impossible for me to walk them to school. Any advice about how to go about it and what constitutes decent grounds for appeal would be really appreciated.

1. Misc
  2. School
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. School
11 Comments

i have been to an appeal...it was easy tbh as they always have room to push an extra in.
just state your grounds ie no transport so will be walking (or bus with a toddler and cost of this)
also as you said your daughter will be in one school..they have to go to the same one.
At my appeal even the LA man agreed with me and they backtracked.
Dont worry its not a difficult thing to do.
Edited by: "plumberman01" 15th Apr 2011

and you are asking for the nearest schools i presume?

I know in our area they changed the rules. Its used to be catchment area 1st but now its siblings 1st and catchment area 2nd. Some people I know are worried now too. I'm glad we don't have to go through this anymore ourselves!

Original Poster

plumberman01

and you are asking for the nearest schools i presume?

I'm asking for any one of the 4 closest schools to us.

zannaz82

I'm asking for any one of the 4 closest schools to us.

then i would think its unreasonable of them to suggest another school if you have followed the rules.

direct.gov.uk/en/…309

look here..i actually think you can have 4 appeals lol

direct.gov.uk/en/…369

Objecting to unlawful admission arrangements

If you think that an admission authority has unlawful admission arrangements you can object to the Schools Adjudicator. Objections must be made between 1 May and 31 July regarding entry in September the following year.

You can make the objection yourself or contact your local authority School Admissions Team to object on your behalf. Information about what you can object to and the form you will need to complete are available on the Office of the Schools Adjudicator website.

Edited by: "plumberman01" 15th Apr 2011

Phone them up directly, i did when 3 years ago they allocated my son a different school than what my then 8 yr old daughter attended !.....i went through all the formality of writing an appeal letter etc and after two weeks of worry , not sleeping etc i couldnt take no more of not knowing and phoned them up , gave sons name and daughters name school etc and straight away i got a big apology and said it was a mistake on there part and he would be offered a place at the same school as his sister , got the letter confirming it the following morning .

Worth a try ringing , youve got nothing to lose , i am glad i did and wish i had sooner instead of worrying for a fortnight for no need , lol
Good luck and hope you get the school you want

good luck ive put 2 apeals in now and got a place at the schools i wanted, all you ave to do is explain why you need the closer school, the school criteria is 1. special needs 2. age 3.siblings 4. catchment let me know how things go 4 you im sure it will be fine, have a look on internet i found helpline and they told me everything a needed 2 write in my letter etc x

Original Poster

plumberman01

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Schoolslearninganddevelopment/ChoosingASchool/DG_4016309look here..i actually think you can have 4 appeals lolhttp://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Schoolslearninganddevelopment/ChoosingASchool/DG_4016369Objecting to unlawful admission arrangementsIf you think that an admission authority has unlawful admission arrangements you can object to the Schools Adjudicator. Objections must be made between 1 May and 31 July regarding entry in September the following year.You can make the objection yourself or contact your local authority School Admissions Team to object on your behalf. Information about what you can object to and the form you will need to complete are available on the Office of the Schools Adjudicator website.

Thanks for that, particularly interesting since our first choice school (a church school) which is our closest and I attend the church seem to have hand picked children. The receptionist refused to take my attachment to the church letter as we're just out of parish (ridiculous skewed boundary) and yet, they haven't taken those signed off in order of distance to school, within parish. This makes a mockery of any rules they set out re admissions.

Original Poster

shopstilldrops

Phone them up directly, i did when 3 years ago they allocated my son a … Phone them up directly, i did when 3 years ago they allocated my son a different school than what my then 8 yr old daughter attended !.....i went through all the formality of writing an appeal letter etc and after two weeks of worry , not sleeping etc i couldnt take no more of not knowing and phoned them up , gave sons name and daughters name school etc and straight away i got a big apology and said it was a mistake on there part and he would be offered a place at the same school as his sister , got the letter confirming it the following morning .Worth a try ringing , youve got nothing to lose , i am glad i did and wish i had sooner instead of worrying for a fortnight for no need , lolGood luck and hope you get the school you want

Fully intending to go in first thing Monday morning and make headteacher appointments at our church and catchment school. Unfortunately Trafford timed admissions day over Easter holidays. How crafty!

Original Poster

helen123

good luck ive put 2 apeals in now and got a place at the schools i … good luck ive put 2 apeals in now and got a place at the schools i wanted, all you ave to do is explain why you need the closer school, the school criteria is 1. special needs 2. age 3.siblings 4. catchment let me know how things go 4 you im sure it will be fine, have a look on internet i found helpline and they told me everything a needed 2 write in my letter etc x

Thanks, I've googled half the day away, inbetween phonecalls and impromptu visits to schools in search of absent headteachers. Just wondered if anyone had any more directly related advice. I'll be sure to keep you updated though.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. landlord trying to get tenant to purchase a new bed when the old one was al…710
    2. Is there a way to add ethernet to MIFI device?35
    3. Any ideas for eye glare protection from computer screens?22
    4. Electric Bike Advice.11

See more discussions