anyone know what i need to make a door smaller? its too tall for the frame :(

20 replies
20 Comments

a work bench and a plane, oh and screwdriver and stuff to take it down

Jesus H!?!!! :roll: :-D

Banned

how much bigger

depends on what the door is made of, is it a solid wood door or one of those hollow moulded ones ?

depending on how much you need to take off you can either do it with a manual plane or an electric one or if you need to take off quite a bit you can do it with a nice sharp saw.

cdm22;8254925

with you on that

when DIY became DEY

Banned

cdm22;8254925

Ha, ha, ha... exactly what I thought!

I have a square peg that won't go through a round hole. Should I try and put it through the square hole?

use a tape measure next time and buy the correct size

Banned

dataload;8255023

use a tape measure next time and buy the correct size

mmmm i think you'll find that all doors will ne some adjustment

Banned

whatsThePoint;8255039

just a thought but what about a bigger frame, it would be easy to do … just a thought but what about a bigger frame, it would be easy to do compaired to making door smaller

What? Let's presume the frame fits the doorway pretty snug already. Are you suggesting making the doorway bigger just to fit the door into it?
Hell, why not just move house.

maybe hes planning to steal this door and put it in his house

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/41/97882730_7c425abfab.jpg

Banned

whatsThePoint;8255039

just a thought but what about a bigger frame, it would be easy to do … just a thought but what about a bigger frame, it would be easy to do compaired to making door smaller

yeah yeah just start hacking the walls out to make the frame fit rather than planing the door to fit the frame

Banned

Ha ha! My post got deleted. I had a fair point though, but I shan't repeat what I said!

fragaliciousbob;8255050

mmmm i think you'll find that all doors will ne some adjustment

Doors are made in several standard sizes to meet most domestic needs. Modern homes tend to have standard-size joinery and most internal doors are the same size. The standard is usually 1981m x 762mm (6ft 6in x 2ft 6in), though there are a variety of other sizes available, which are intended for wider and narrower openings such as under the stairs or 'walk-in' cupboards and the WC (copy/paste)

whatsThePoint;8255039

omg how extreme, when we don't even know the extent of the error margin, let alone advise knocking out door frames

Banned

DanJackson;8255077

Ha ha! My post got deleted. I had a fair point though, but I shan't … Ha ha! My post got deleted. I had a fair point though, but I shan't repeat what I said!

i think the 2nd part done it for ya

Banned

dataload;8255083

Doors are made in several standard sizes to meet most domestic needs. … Doors are made in several standard sizes to meet most domestic needs. Modern homes tend to have standard-size joinery and most internal doors are the same size. The standard is usually 1981m x 762mm (6ft 6in x 2ft 6in), though there are a variety of other sizes available, which are intended for wider and narrower openings such as under the stairs or 'walk-in' cupboards and the WC (copy/paste)

thats true but your not a carpenter and you will find that nearly all doors will need some adjustment as things like carpets and laminate floors are not taken into account

Banned

fragaliciousbob;8255093

i think the 2nd part done it for ya

Yep, the internet po-po got me. I tried to hide from them behind a door, but the door was too small.

fragaliciousbob;8255117

thats true but your not a carpenter and you will find that nearly all … thats true but your not a carpenter and you will find that nearly all doors will need some adjustment as things like carpets and laminate floors are not taken into account

maybe i am a carpenter and maybe it was a copy/paste from my own "guide to carpentry" website :whistling:

Banned

dataload;8255158

maybe i am a carpenter and maybe it was a copy/paste from my own "guide … maybe i am a carpenter and maybe it was a copy/paste from my own "guide to carpentry" website :whistling:

ha ha ha could be but on this occasion the computer says nooooo

Original Poster

thanks for all your help guys will give rep too all

and its only a £15 door from B&Q, so i didnt expect it to fit perfectly! lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What are the prices of supermarket counter pizzas?44
    2. Mobile phone advice55
    3. What is gearbest like on warranty?810
    4. Android pay set up610