Groups
    EXPIRED

anyone know who to debrand an O2 Samsung S5 without bricking it?

Just paid off on the airtime plan for this mobile and have an unlock code. However the handset itself has O2 bloatware and start up on it which i would like to remove. Anyone know how (safely) to remove this and do you unlock it before or after doing this?

15 Comments

root it and flash new firmware

Have a look at cyanogenmod.org, it's about as easy as it gets

unlock before rooting.

Root the device ,then take a look over @ XDA & see what takes your fancy

Download this http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/32652/G900FXXU1ANG2_G900FOXA1ANG3_BTU.zip/
    download the odin/3.09 aswell (same page). follow directions and flasd via pc. no need for any rooting nonsense or installing half-baked 3rd party software as advised above.
    Extract (unzip) the firmware file
    Download Odin v3.09
    Extract Odin zip-file
    Open Odin v3.09
    Reboot phone in Download Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down buttons)
    Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in Odin
    Add the firmware file to AP / PDA
    Make sure re-partition is NOT ticked
    Click the start button, sit back and wait a few minutes

You can unlock your phone before or after, it doesnt matter. once unlocked the phone stays unlocked.

Edited by: "stoney73" 8th Dec 2014

You don't need to root to debrand

my previous comment takes it for granted that you have the sm-g900f model.

stoney73

Download this … Download this http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/download/32652/G900FXXU1ANG2_G900FOXA1ANG3_BTU.zip/download the odin/3.09 aswell (same page). follow directions and flasd via pc. no need for any rooting nonsense or installing half-baked 3rd party software as advised above. Extract (unzip) the firmware fileDownload Odin v3.09Extract Odin zip-fileOpen Odin v3.09Reboot phone in Download Mode (press and hold Home + Power + Volume Down buttons)Connect phone and wait until you get a blue sign in OdinAdd the firmware file to AP / PDAMake sure re-partition is NOT tickedClick the start button, sit back and wait a few minutesYou can unlock your phone before or after, it doesnt matter. once unlocked the phone stays unlocked.

Just a quick question, will this allow the phone to update OTA still after it has been debranded? Going to be doing this myself this weekend.

Yes you do need root - and not because of the de-brand, but because removing bloatware requires removal of APKs from the /system folder, which is out of bounds if you can't elevate your user permissions.

stoney73 was spot on with the advice there. You're downloading the standard G900F Samsung image, with no operator logos or bloatware.

Samsung, however, include their own bloatware which you may never wish to use. There are resources over at XDA-Developers which should allow you to remove the Samsung software as well, thus freeing up space on your internal SD card.

Personally, I am using a ROM called XstresoLITE which can be found here:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2732110

The reason I link to this ROM is because it uses the unbranded Samsung image but comes debloated as standard, with an additional downloadable utility which contains the Samsung apps should you wish to restore them. I would recommend downloading this ROM only if you have time on your hands or previous knowledge of flashing custom ROMs to Samsung phones.

Ultimately the easiest thing to do is download the official Samsung ROM and Odin software as suggested above.

dkl_uk

Yes you do need root - and not because of the de-brand, but because … Yes you do need root - and not because of the de-brand, but because removing bloatware requires removal of APKs from the /system folder, which is out of bounds if you can't elevate your user permissions.stoney73 was spot on with the advice there. You're downloading the standard G900F Samsung image, with no operator logos or bloatware.Samsung, however, include their own bloatware which you may never wish to use. There are resources over at XDA-Developers which should allow you to remove the Samsung software as well, thus freeing up space on your internal SD card.Personally, I am using a ROM called XstresoLITE which can be found here:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2732110The reason I link to this ROM is because it uses the unbranded Samsung image but comes debloated as standard, with an additional downloadable utility which contains the Samsung apps should you wish to restore them. I would recommend downloading this ROM only if you have time on your hands or previous knowledge of flashing custom ROMs to Samsung phones.Ultimately the easiest thing to do is download the official Samsung ROM and Odin software as suggested above.

How do you choose the correct ROM? The one linked above matches the AP and CP values but the CSC is obviously incorrect as it is BTU instead of O2U.

I did find a ROM that matches the CSC as well but i assume that this is the rom I am currently using?

Just wondering whether this will brick the phone or interfere with updates?

That's the point - the CSC is the standard UK one. O2U is the O2 one.

The only thing that will change will be the logo's and lack of O2 software. If the UK standard CSC version contains a Modem of higher value then you may see some WiFi, Radio and battery improvements.

This will not interfere with updates.

You may wish to wait as Lollipop is due out shortly.

dkl_uk

That's the point - the CSC is the standard UK one. O2U is the O2 one. The … That's the point - the CSC is the standard UK one. O2U is the O2 one. The only thing that will change will be the logo's and lack of O2 software. If the UK standard CSC version contains a Modem of higher value then you may see some WiFi, Radio and battery improvements.This will not interfere with updates.You may wish to wait as Lollipop is due out shortly.

I see it's just that I read that the CSC needed to match the phone in order to get OTA updates. But now I have just read that will change when you do a factory reset after flashing? I've not flashed a phone before so it's a little confusing?

Yes, to get the OTA updates relevant to the CSC. The CSC can be changed via software, so you could actually install a Polish ROM which is Android v5 (Lollipop) and change the CSC afterwards to BTU. There would be no point though, but you could.

The CSC generally just contains useful information for warranty claims (if Carphone Warehouse sold you the phone it'll be CPW and should remain as such, so bricking it with a BTU ROM would void the warranty) and also allows Samsung to determine whether your region requires OTA updates, and also tells the phone what sort of networks you should expect to connect to.

The CSC is the least important part of the ROM identifier but generally you're going to want to stick with UK versions.

If you're unable to connect to the network then you'll need to Google for the correct O2 APN settings. I've been using XstresoLITE which is the custom 'standard' ROM and swapping a Tesco and Three SIM came with no issues whatsoever. The APN updates automatically.

dkl_uk

Yes, to get the OTA updates relevant to the CSC. The CSC can be changed … Yes, to get the OTA updates relevant to the CSC. The CSC can be changed via software, so you could actually install a Polish ROM which is Android v5 (Lollipop) and change the CSC afterwards to BTU. There would be no point though, but you could.The CSC generally just contains useful information for warranty claims (if Carphone Warehouse sold you the phone it'll be CPW and should remain as such, so bricking it with a BTU ROM would void the warranty) and also allows Samsung to determine whether your region requires OTA updates, and also tells the phone what sort of networks you should expect to connect to. The CSC is the least important part of the ROM identifier but generally you're going to want to stick with UK versions.If you're unable to connect to the network then you'll need to Google for the correct O2 APN settings. I've been using XstresoLITE which is the custom 'standard' ROM and swapping a Tesco and Three SIM came with no issues whatsoever. The APN updates automatically.

Right so the CSC is basically related directly to the carrier and the BTU rom has a default CSC for that? And if I install the BTU rom I should just receive updates for that?

I'm not really that bothered about warranty. I just want to get rid of the O2 bloat (not too bothered with the samsung stuff) and be able to get updates OTA without bricking issues. That's about it really. Adding APN details isn't a problem.

BTU = Generic UK. So yes.

You will also receive firmware updates for the BTU region as and when Samsung create them. As carriers tend to take longer to deploy updates due to testing and bloatware upgrades, that may result in you receiving firmware upgrades quicker than those with branded handsets.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. any meerkat codes please for this next week 21st aug11
      2. Best way to use Tesco club card vouchers?22
      3. VF retentions: £14pm - 20GB, unlim mins and texts21
      4. Music download67

See more discussions