Groups

Anyone knowledgeable about plastering/decorating?

As above, have a few questions

23 Comments

fire away have experience in both

Banned

I know how to plaster

Original Poster

Thanks

We are planning on decorating a room at a time. 2 bedrooms have pretty deep ridges in the walls where people had previously stripped wallpaper ferociously. Is the only way of removing them skimming?

I have just stripped the paper in the third room, the plaster seems pretty sound, but a couple of cracks, plus where the cable has been traced in for the socket it's really poor, raised from the rest of the wall with the odd hole/crack around it. How do I tell if I can get away with just painting, or is it always best to skim?

Plus what's the best order to paint? ceiling>woodwork>cut in>roller?
    Edited by: "sancho1983" 2nd Apr 2011

cant you just fill the ridges?
    and the painting yes thats the order i do it.

i wouldnt skim it unless you need to or can afford it..our house is quite new but some walls i wouldnt have been happy with if just painted so used thick paper first.
    Edited by: "plumberman01" 2nd Apr 2011

start with the ceiling and work your way day,always skim really bad plastered walls,other wise the inperfections will drive you mad when you sit back and try to admire the paint work

Edited by: "chillyyyy" 2nd Apr 2011

Banned

Don't trust anyone who says he can plaster! My mate took a course in it an I let him wild on my bathroom in the apartment I let out. Nice smooth job, but at least 5 inches thick!

Get a professional in - DDIY! (don't do it yourself!).
    Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 2nd Apr 2011

Original Poster

plumberman01

cant you just fill the ridges?and the painting yes thats the order i do … cant you just fill the ridges?and the painting yes thats the order i do it.

They're not deep, probably only a couple of mm, but everywhere.

Original Poster

JonnyTwoToes

Don't trust anyone who says he can plaster! My mate took a course in it … Don't trust anyone who says he can plaster! My mate took a course in it an I let him wild on my bathroom in the apartment I let out. Nice smooth job, but at least 5 inches thick!Get a professional in - DDIY! (don't do it yourself!).

lol, not planning on doing it, although I would love to do a course in it.

That's the other thing, how expensive is it? (how long is a piece of string I suppose..) but if it's like £80 for a small bedroom I'll just get it done. Don't want to sound a plank when I get someone round to quote though

Edited by: "sancho1983" 2nd Apr 2011

You could paper the walls with lining paper then paint. Cheaper and less messy than skim.

there is a little tool you can buy it has a handle and is hard plastic and has a flat edge made of some type of rubber i use this on ridges and stuff it feathers out everything so its unnoticable,
    and i always paint ceiling then walls and cut in the gloss its the best way as you only have to cut in the ceiling if you dont go mad any that goes on the woodwork is easily covered by the gloss.
    ive done it this way always working with a preffesional painter and decorator.

sancho1983

They're not deep, probably only a couple of mm, but everywhere.

well you can alway skim over these edges your self with a decoraters filler,personally i would use toupret if you intend to just paint the walls,but this is quite exspensive,but wont flash through like other fillers ie tetron or pollyfiller

if you intend to line the walls then tetron will be fine for skimming,make sure you use a good grade lining paper ie 1000 grade or 1200 depending on how bad the inperfections are on the walls

Banned

sancho1983

lol, not planning on doing it, although I would love to do a course in … lol, not planning on doing it, although I would love to do a course in it.That's the other thing, how expensive is it? (how long is a piece of string I suppose..) but if it's like £80 for a small bedroom I'll just get it done. Don't want to sound a plank when I get someone round to quote though

Do you really need it doing? The last but one house I had, we converted the loft and skimmed everything with this 'textured effect' paint - it had sand particles in it.
    Made it look very 'fitting' considering it was a 1880's house. Can you not just do that?s

as a price idea our ceiling kitchen small around 9x9 was £80 inc

i would think a small bedroom would be more than £80...do you really not want to use lining paper?

Original Poster

I don't think I would be able to put up lining paper, tried before pretty badly. I'm thinking paying someone to put up paper may be cheaper than skimming, but skimming will give me a nice, true, blank canvas.

Would rather do it once and well I suppose

sand fill line with lining paper or skim

sancho1983

I don't think I would be able to put up lining paper, tried before pretty … I don't think I would be able to put up lining paper, tried before pretty badly. I'm thinking paying someone to put up paper may be cheaper than skimming, but skimming will give me a nice, true, blank canvas.Would rather do it once and well I suppose

skimming would be better,just make sure you get a good plasterer cowboys will make your walls worse lol,just pay abit more than the average plasterer and you,ll be ok

Banned

Doesn't sound like you need to plaster unless the walls sound hollow when you tap them, if it's solid then just make a mix of filler not to thick and get a good applicator one of those bendy yellow ones and just apply over the cracks and then rub down with a sandpaper on a block....If it's not perfect, then just reapply and rub again until it's flat.

remember 1 thing too much filler under painted surfaces can have a tendency to blow in places just be careful,word of advice seal all filler first before painting,

Banned

You don't seal filler with a PVA....you apply a mist coat like you would a plastered surface....to make a mist coat just add 30% water to cheap emulsion and paint it on and it will get sucked into the filler and bond properly. PVA'ing walls is an old wives tail, you only seal before you plaster, never afterwords.

Edited by: "slamdunkin" 2nd Apr 2011

slamdunkin

You don't seal filler with a PVA....you apply a mist coat like you would … You don't seal filler with a PVA....you apply a mist coat like you would a plastered surface....to make a mist coat just add £05 water to cheap emulsion and paint it on and it will get sucked into thye filler and bond properly. PVA'ing walls is an old wives tail, you only seal before you plaster, never afterwords.

but nowhere in my last message did i state use pva,i stated make sure you seal all filler before painting, just didnt add by using a mist coat,like you stated,when i ment seal i ment so as to give a good sound preperation for further coats to be applied,not like as in pva it,sorry i didnt make my self clear

skim and be done with it, don't faff about with filling holes or using plasterboard filler, just bite the bullet and get it down, 3mm skim will do. You'll be glad when you've painted - step back and see nice clean walls.

There is many instances where you have to just use a filler to hide gouges/mark in the walls .If you have ever used a steam stripper , it sometimes brings off bits of plaster and and a layer or 2 of the imulsion paint leaving pits in the walls . Theres no way can you just paint over this or even paper over it ,especially if the paper is a thin paper . The only way is to mix some filler and go over the walls filling the ridges , holes and pits. Sand when dry and use a grade of lining paper prior to painting or papering .
    I've had 39 years experience at decorating and have done hundreds of rooms in my time .Most walls are in a bad state especially in older houses and I would never get away with saying to a customer ...................you need your walls skimmed after I've steamed stripped the old paper off.
    I cut out the cracks in the walls , remove loose plaster and fill with a good quality filler .
    After the lining paper goes on , the room looks as if it has been plastered and the customers are very happy .
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73844466
      2. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?816
      3. Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers911
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826353

See more discussions