Anyone moved from Sky Broadband to Sky Fibre?

Found 12th JanEdited by:"mds1256"
Just want to know if the move from sky broadband to sky fibre needed an engineer visit to your home or did it just get activated using existing equipment (I have Sky Q router already that is both VDSL and ADSL compatible).
Community Updates
AskEntertainment
12 Comments
We are in the process of upgrading from Sky Unlimited Broadband to Sky Fibre Unlimited. An engineer doesn't have to come to your house. There's a green cabinet located near to your house where the engineer goes to switch you to fibre. The old copper wire is used from the cabinet to your house. It can take anywhere from 10-14 days from ordering Sky Fibre for the engineer to carry out this work. You'll be given the exact date when you order Sky Fibre Unlimited.
The Sky Q router is fibre ready so you won't need a new one.
Original Poster
Thanks.

i don’t have the new bt faceplate (just an older one with telephone connection only) but I guess that the ADSL filter can also be used as a VDSL filter. I remember a friends house when they got BT infinity installed, the open reach engineer came out and replaced the face plate with a filtered one
We have an old master socket in our house. It doesn't have any markings on it (just a telephone connection). Sky never mentioned anything about it when we ordered it. I'll update you if it turns out an engineer does have to come out and replace it.
I've had normal fibre for about 2 years through sky, upgraded to fibre max in the last few months, standard Fibre is much better than standard broadband but still I was only getting 15-20 meg on the 40 meg unlimited package and was slow at some times though but for the price on offers can't fault it price wise
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies
Manny5013 m ago

I've had normal fibre for about 2 years through sky, upgraded to fibre max …I've had normal fibre for about 2 years through sky, upgraded to fibre max in the last few months, standard Fibre is much better than standard broadband but still I was only getting 15-20 meg on the 40 meg unlimited package and was slow at some times though but for the price on offers can't fault it price wise

We were given a Guaranteed Minimum Access Line Speed of 34.9 Mb. Did you get something like this?
Re the old-style socket faceplate, I just switched away from Sky ADSL to fibre (with another provider) and my old faceplate wasn't changed. Just using the microfilters as before - so I assume these will be fine for you also. Good luck!
Sky fibre really great left BT and moved to sky use it in every room not once has it slowed down or buffered and that's kids on phones or PlayStation and tv's
Just use the master microfilter they send in the box with the router. No engineer visit.

Just had to leave sky fibre max under their 55mbps speed guarantee. Was on BT infinity 2 at 71mbps stable, Sky fibre max synced at 54.3mbps never over shame as sky was cheaper!
Original Poster
They are just finishing putting the fibre cabinet on my estate. They were hooking up power the other day as Electric board had the path dug up to the cabinet putting a duct and cable into it.

so within the next month or so I should be able to order. Currently with sky broadband and will be moving straight to fibre once its available.

cannot really complain with ADSL from sky as getting 14mb stable now. Cabinet is around 150 meters from my house (give or take on how the ducts run) so should get decent fibre speeds
The charge is not covering a home visit to your house.

To switch from ADSL to VDSL in 99.99 of non city centre locations, an engineer has to go to your 'cabinet' (the green BT box somewhere near you and that your copper wires run through) and switch the copper over from one bank of connectors to another. This enables it of the FTTC box that is a few feet away. Then (s)he tests it and there may or may not be a need to visit your house.

Simples

However this should be a one time charge for ADSL to VDSL. Don't let a provider rip you off by charging again.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants